PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness(X3 Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Honestly, can we now all agree that Maroney is NOT the answer as an every down ba

pats felt the short passing game had more chance of working than running up in the middle..pitt has allowed 2 100 rushers in 60 odd games..there is a reason for this. also remember ...we have always beaten pitt by passing a lot and even during the hawks/steelers SB BB came out and said clearly that pitt will stop the run if they want to and seattle has to throw the ball to win the game.. cant get a clearer mindset of the coach than that.
So hard to judge maroney on this game...iam sure they wouldve passed as much with dillon in the backfield against the pitt secondary which as belichick said was 'inviting'

Re: Honestly, can we now all agree that Maroney is NOT the answer as an every down ba

Emmitt had a great O-line.... i say we draft a larry allen type or maybe we have him in mankins. draft jake long and make this o-line dominant in the run game.

but honestly we know nothing about maroney except he gets very few carries. he's the true wild card.

Laurence was, again, the only negative in an otherwise all-around positive night. I am afraid at some point this lack of a running game is going to come back to bite us on the arse.

I truly believe Laurence can develop into a nice third-down, change of pace type back, catching screens and picking up blocks, similar to what Faulk is now, after Kevin retires. His two catches for big yardage and first downs vs. the Ravens were beautiful and a glimpse of what he could become.

But to date, Laurence just has not shown me he has what it takes to be an every down back.

Yesterday, twice, he ran directly into the line, when he could have bounced out to his right a couple of steps and picked up 6-7-8 yards or more. He just does not see the field well.

ADPF -
Sorry but you are one of the worst evaluators out here. You've had NUMEROUS dumb threads attacking players and the coaches. And every time you've been shown to be incompetent.

Maroney is 22 years old with 2 less years of experience than someone like Addai. While he "could have bounced to his right" as you put it, I saw the same thing from Parker. The Steelers run defense is VERY STOUT as they showed by pushing our O-line back behind the line of scrimmage on at least 2 of the occasions the Pats ran the ball. How is that Maroney's fault?

Also, the game plan from the get go was to PASS the ball. PERIOD. And, since you missed it, the play action pass worked the times they ran it. And it was Maroney selling it.

The Pats are now well positioned to have a serious shot at Darren McFadden, because Miami is not going to draft him, seeing as how they already have Ronnie Brown.

I mean, I watched the Pats prefer to throw screen passes to Wes Welker for first downs (a play that works very well, by the way) as opposed to handing off to their "feature" back.

Belichick keeps defending Maroney, but I am convinced that is smoke and mirrors to keep Maroney's confidence up until he can find another solution.

Why would the Pats HAND OFF the ball against one of the best run defenses in the league? Its stupidity to do so. Why is it that you Maroney haters can't get that through your thick skulls?

Oh, and the Pats threw screens because they had the Steelers spread out and were able to take advantage of the space available. Unlike the running game where the Steelers REGULARLY were on the Pats side of the LOS.

Last edited:

Pats lost one of their top 2 backs in the 6th game of the season. LoMo may not be as far along as everyone hoped, but if BB starts using him for 20+ carries a game and he does go down, no we're looking at Eckel, Evans, Faulk, and possibly calling Fat Boy Dillon up and asking for help. No Thanks.

Heck, I watch the Colts and Addai, and I wonder if that kid's going to make it for the stretch run in the playoffs. Cracked bone in chest, sore hip, etc. They need the blowouts to keep him healthy for January.

I'd also like to say that our o-line is not exactly run blocking with the best of them. All too often, d line man are shedding our guys off too easily on run plays. It's the exact opposite of how our d-line looks when teams are successful running against us, they're not shedding blocks quickly enough and it leads to the rb's getting to the second level.

Consider LoMo's longest run consisted of a scrum aided by the OLine pushing him from behind for 10 yards, I will only examine his other 7 runs...7 carries for 8 yards...1.14 yds/carry....examination over. Can't wait for the excuse makers today.

Pass based game plan. Top 3 run defense in the league.

YOU do the math. OH, yeah, you can cherry pick the numbers all you want, doesn't change the fact that the Pats were not going to waste time slamming Maroney into a brick wall. Belichick and McDaniels are a bit smarter than that. In case you haven't figured it out.

if he doesnt pan out as an every down back... at least he can replace faulk as a 3rd down, pass-catching back... to be honest, i expected big things from him...

I will agree that BB is trying to keep cover up his distaste for LM. Bottom line is this - if he was high on him, he would use him more. I'm sorry, even in an offense that is pass first, you use your RB more than that. We've talked about him being saved, etc. for the post season - c'mon at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if BB doesn't want to expose him too much for the sake of trying to trade him off, who knows. Yes, we haven't needed him, but there will be times in big games where we need a guy that can break a tackle or two in a big spot. I'm not calling him a bust yet, but I'd say the fate of LM is leaning in that direction.

Ummm... yes. I will agree that you are sorry. LoMo is just fine, thank you very much, and he carries when the situation calls for it.

What a humorous thread. The Patriots go 13-0 blowing out Pittsburgh and their defensive back, and you guys are still on the Maroney kick. Whenever he does make a great play (moving a pile yesterday, making two long runs from catches/Ravens) it gets downplayed because it spoils your Mcfadden lust. Mcfadden is not coming to New England, get over it. The Patriots are set at running back except maybe a late first round or later pickup. Gee 13 points, I guess Seymour is good for another week.

Emmit Smith and McFadden have vastly different running styles.

Emmit never had take it to the yard speed Mc Fadden posses.

Emmit was a grinding, downhill slasher who ran low. McFadden runs alot taller with more speed and hip swivel.

With a first round running back and a beaten defense on its heels in the fourth quarter? Yep. Is that like an unusual request?

Since you missed it, the 2 times late in the game when the Pats TRIED to rush the ball, the Steelers defense pushed the Pats O-line behind the LOS, allowing them to stop Maroney. HOW is that Maroney's fault? The fact that he was able to get 2 yards on a play where the d-line was on his side of the LOS says alot.

The Pats pass blocking has been outstanding this year. The run blocking, not so much lately. It was good earlier in the year.. Maybe its because Neal's been out the last two games. I don't know.

What I do know is that the Pats are 13-0 and its been a TEAM effort. Everyone doing their part. The Pats had scored on 66.7% of their drives heading into last night. Entering the game, they'd had 59 red zone chances and scored on all of them but 1 or 2 in garbage time.

Would I have liked to see the Pats run more? Sure. Because I like it when they beat teams no matter what. But I also know that its just foolishness to NOT use the passing game when Tom Brady is arguably the Best QB in the league (and possibly of all time) and the Pats have such an amazing and dynamic set of receivers. The O-line has been damn near lights out in the pass protection. I don't think some of you realize that, heading into this season, Brady had been sacked an AVERAGE of 26 times a season. Brady's been sacked a total of 16 times this season. If that number hits 20, I'll be surprised.

Both Maroney and Faulk have been banged up for a while. Not using them is BB's way of just getting his backs through the season in one piece. Look for more running in the next two games and even more in the playoffs.

For crying out loud, when are these idiotic threads going to end?

Yes, the Pats passed the ball on a great run defense yesterday. The Pats have what is maybe the greatest passing offense in the history of the sport. And you want them to run? They run just enough to set up playaction -- which, incidentally, they did to great effect last night with Moss torching the Steeler secondary for a TD.

Maroney is fine. He's not Tomlinson, but who is? He is PERFECTLY ADEQUATE.

The run blocking needs to improve, no question about that. Can't squeeze blood from a stone.

Pats are a passing team. Why do they need to pay $8mil to a rookie running back who'll most likely run about 10-15 times per game at most? I would imagine we just need decent pass catching, good yac RB which LoMo is. I actually thought Maroney showed some flashes that made us believe he was the future at RB spot. Along with that gritty 10yd run, his run in Steelers red zone where he got tackled by Aaron Smith was THE run I've been waiting for all this season from him. Zero hesitation and very quick burst to the hole. Yes, he had his dancing moments but honestly, Steelers gave him no chance to run at those points.

Thanx for the lucidity, DaB.....Gresh and Zo just went over this on the SCORE....Gresh is a HUGE Pitt homer and Pats hater...for him to say Maroney ran hard the few times he got the ball is about as unbiased as you can get. He pointed out that almost every run, Maroney was hit in the backfield and managed to gain positive yardage. Zolak also agreed completely. I was at the game so I don't have the benefit of the TV look, but Maroney cetainly didnb't cause anyone at THAT game to complain, believe me.

I think some people just can't enjoy anything without tearing away at somebody.

I like Gresh, at least he shows some energy and provides a relatively unbiased opinion of the team. And unlike to other local ball washers he gets to talk to people across the league for outside perspective(see his weekend ESPN shows).

I may have been watching a different game but I don't think it was the best game to judge Maroney. Again no expert but I think the game plan was to put the ball in the hands of the best player in the league (Brady), and then distribute the ball to the best offensive players (Moss, Welker).

Maroney played on 18 of 57 plays (per Reiss) and ran the ball 8 times, the runs were obvious decoys.

I am just happy he is healthy because he adds one more weapon to the arsenal. He also has made some strides in blocking and as a receiver. The entire running attack including the blocking up front seems a little shaky but I know most people expect 70+ points against the Jets and Dolphins but I suspect the Patriots will run the ball more as both teams are terrible against the run. In these games Maroney should get 20+ touches and have a chance at a 100 yard games.

Maroney is not an upper echelon RB but he is a threat and 2007 is the year of Brady/Moss not 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Laurence was, again, the only negative in an otherwise all-around positive night. I am afraid at some point this lack of a running game is going to come back to bite us on the arse.

I truly believe Laurence can develop into a nice third-down, change of pace type back, catching screens and picking up blocks, similar to what Faulk is now, after Kevin retires. His two catches for big yardage and first downs vs. the Ravens were beautiful and a glimpse of what he could become.

But to date, Laurence just has not shown me he has what it takes to be an every down back.

Yesterday, twice, he ran directly into the line, when he could have bounced out to his right a couple of steps and picked up 6-7-8 yards or more. He just does not see the field well.

The Pats are now well positioned to have a serious shot at Darren McFadden, because Miami is not going to draft him, seeing as how they already have Ronnie Brown.

I mean, I watched the Pats prefer to throw screen passes to Wes Welker for first downs (a play that works very well, by the way) as opposed to handing off to their "feature" back.

Belichick keeps defending Maroney, but I am convinced that is smoke and mirrors to keep Maroney's confidence up until he can find another solution.

Did you actually watch the game? You are going to judge a running back on his performance in an offense that has no reason to run the ball whatsoever? The Pittsburgh defense does not give up up running yards. Bellichick has said it before, "Do you just want us to run into a brick wall over and over again?" You take what the defense gives you and the Steelers pass defense just kept on giving. Maroney has had durability issues, but he is young and learning. He has made too many plays in his limited playing time over the past two seasons to write him off. Do not disparage a young player who has yet to develop. Right now the Patriots offense is doing pretty well ;) I think that Maroney will get his opportunities in the last few games of this season to show what he can do. The Jets are giving up 141.9 yards rushing per game. The Dolphins are giving up 155.4. I think it will be a pretty good opportunity to run the ball and Maroney should get some time. I hope this is the case because all of this talk of him being a bust is nonsense. We haven't seen enough of him this year to even discuss it. Let's wait until he actually gets a normal number of carries before you show him the door.

Along with that gritty 10yd run, his run in Steelers red zone where he got tackled by Aaron Smith was THE run I've been waiting for all this season from him. Zero hesitation and very quick burst to the hole. Yes, he had his dancing moments but honestly, Steelers gave him no chance to run at those points.

Exactly, although I'd say that run against the Eagles where he just blasted through the defense into the end zone was about as good as it gets.

they only ran 8 times. For the rest of the season the Pats are gonna win or lose by throwing the ball IMO

I agree there.

They seem to have adopted the screen pass as substitution for the running game.

Brady takes the snap, turns quickly to the side, hits a reciever, and counts on 4-5-6 YAC.

I am just hoping the running game issue doesn't hurt us at some point.

Really, I can't believe anyone would make this comparison. Entirely different styles, and body builds.

Very much different body types, but styles are more similar than you might think.

Emmitt had that same ability to hit the line, feel the hole close, and just bounce outside for the extra yards. McFadden does that so well, too.

I love that instinct in a back. I wish Maroney had it.

A beaten defense? We gave up 13 points, again- what game were you watching? I shouldn't even be continuing this thread....

I think he was referring to the Steelers' defense...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft