Welcome to PatsFans.com

Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness(X3 Merged)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Armen Da Pats Fan, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armen Da Pats Fan

Armen Da Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Laurence was, again, the only negative in an otherwise all-around positive night. I am afraid at some point this lack of a running game is going to come back to bite us on the arse.

I truly believe Laurence can develop into a nice third-down, change of pace type back, catching screens and picking up blocks, similar to what Faulk is now, after Kevin retires. His two catches for big yardage and first downs vs. the Ravens were beautiful and a glimpse of what he could become.

But to date, Laurence just has not shown me he has what it takes to be an every down back.

Yesterday, twice, he ran directly into the line, when he could have bounced out to his right a couple of steps and picked up 6-7-8 yards or more. He just does not see the field well.

The Pats are now well positioned to have a serious shot at Darren McFadden, because Miami is not going to draft him, seeing as how they already have Ronnie Brown.

I mean, I watched the Pats prefer to throw screen passes to Wes Welker for first downs (a play that works very well, by the way) as opposed to handing off to their "feature" back.

Belichick keeps defending Maroney, but I am convinced that is smoke and mirrors to keep Maroney's confidence up until he can find another solution.
  2. Tyler.Durden

Tyler.Durden Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: Honestly, can we now all agree that Maroney is NOT the answer as an every down ba

I doesn't look like lawrence is the answer right now, and i doubt we keep the pick, i think we will try to get multiple picks to sure up the aging defence.

Perhaps we take a shot at Michael Turner?
  3. Armen Da Pats Fan

Armen Da Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: Honestly, can we now all agree that Maroney is NOT the answer as an every down ba

Trading the pick would be interesting, but McFadden is such a rare talent that I truly hope the Pats make a push to grab him.

He reminds me of Emmitt Smith @ Florida.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  4. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Consider LoMo's longest run consisted of a scrum aided by the OLine pushing him from behind for 10 yards, I will only examine his other 7 runs...7 carries for 8 yards...1.14 yds/carry....examination over. Can't wait for the excuse makers today.
  5. A.C Vegas

A.C Vegas Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Ok i don't get it either he doesn't hit the hole hard enough or he can't bounce it outside which is it people. He carried the Ball 8 times that is it. and that was the coaches choice because Faulk didn't at all. Stop trying to find fault with this team already and jsut enjoy it.
  6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

they only ran 8 times. For the rest of the season the Pats are gonna win or lose by throwing the ball IMO
  7. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Slick. It's always a good idea to spell a player's name right when you want to criticize him.
  8. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Number One defense against the run.... maybe, just maybe, another team has enough talent in one area to effect how the Patriots play. You guys act like the Pats should be able to do anything they want, whenever they want. The run blocking was horrendous when they tried it mostly because Pitt was blitzing so many guys on nearly every play that they just jammed up the blockers - show me some plays where there were big holes LoMo missed.

As BB says, everyone could improve and LoMo's on that list for certain. But this is just another thread started by fans who apparently don't want to undertand that the Pats find something they can exploit and go for it. You could tell from the get go that running the ball was not something that BB had decided to focus on, evidently because he correctly estimated that Brady could burn Pitt big time with the pass. I mean, did you watch the game??????
  9. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Really, I can't believe anyone would make this comparison. Entirely different styles, and body builds.
  10. FrontSeven

FrontSeven Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

With a first round running back and a beaten defense on its heels in the fourth quarter? Yep. Is that like an unusual request?
  11. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

LM has the power and the skills, he showed it last year, we know what he can do, we've seen it, we just haven't seen it yet this season, he will show it, watch.

What frustrates me about him is, like people have mentioned, his reluctance to bounce a plugged up middle to the outside, I saw Willie Parker do that all night last night, the middle was plugged, he read it, then simply bounced the play outside to the gap and ripped off 20 yards. LM has the same speed and athletism of Parker, he just needs to have the wherewithall to do it and read it.

If we're sitting there at #2 overall in April, some team will trade their entire draft to us for Darren McFadden we can entirely revamp our defense, we can trade down to the middle of round one and pick up an extra 2cond or 3rd round pick to go with the 2-3rd rounders we already have, we can have a bonanza on draft day. And the rich get richer.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
  12. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A beaten defense? We gave up 13 points, again- what game were you watching? I shouldn't even be continuing this thread....
  13. LiveShot

LiveShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Pats have proven this year that you do not need a great running game. Yards rushed and time of possession are two of the more overrated stats in the NFL. Don't forget the guy on injured reserve, he was better than average til he got crunched in the Dallas game. Mental block on his name.
  14. PantsB

PantsB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

So the fact that he fought through that scrum doesn't count somehow?
  15. PaulThePat

PaulThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Sammy Morris who indeed was having a solid year. I look forward to seeing him back next season :rocker:
  16. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yeah except for the fact that they have totally different playing styles :rolleyes:

I don't see how a game in which LM got less than 10 carries against the league's best defense proves he isn't ready to be a 20 carry guy...
  17. chunga

chunga Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't care who you had as a back last night the run wasn't there. That is why they only ran it a few times. Maroney has only carried 126 times this year for a total of 529 yards, 4.2 per carry. Sammy Morris has 85 attempts and how many weeks has he been out?
  18. Michigan Dave

Michigan Dave Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think that's a tough statement to make based on yesterday's game. The run wasn't there, and it was pretty evident the plays we were going to run. I think the only time I anticipated run and we didn't was the long TD to Moss when they sold the fake so well. It was no secret when we lined up in the I and powered into the line that it was coming. That said, LoMo has to be able to get 3 yards on that.
  19. newton_tom_cat

newton_tom_cat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

simple: trade him to the Bills for Marshawh Lynch and their #1 pick. They are mystified by our players, thinking they're the "answer" they've been missing.
  20. Patsman

Patsman Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I will agree that BB is trying to keep cover up his distaste for LM. Bottom line is this - if he was high on him, he would use him more. I'm sorry, even in an offense that is pass first, you use your RB more than that. We've talked about him being saved, etc. for the post season - c'mon at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if BB doesn't want to expose him too much for the sake of trying to trade him off, who knows. Yes, we haven't needed him, but there will be times in big games where we need a guy that can break a tackle or two in a big spot. I'm not calling him a bust yet, but I'd say the fate of LM is leaning in that direction.
  21. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

pats felt the short passing game had more chance of working than running up in the middle..pitt has allowed 2 100 rushers in 60 odd games..there is a reason for this. also remember ...we have always beaten pitt by passing a lot and even during the hawks/steelers SB BB came out and said clearly that pitt will stop the run if they want to and seattle has to throw the ball to win the game.. cant get a clearer mindset of the coach than that.
    So hard to judge maroney on this game...iam sure they wouldve passed as much with dillon in the backfield against the pitt secondary which as belichick said was 'inviting'
  22. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Emmitt had a great O-line.... i say we draft a larry allen type or maybe we have him in mankins. draft jake long and make this o-line dominant in the run game.

but honestly we know nothing about maroney except he gets very few carries. he's the true wild card.
  23. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey

ADPF -
    Sorry but you are one of the worst evaluators out here. You've had NUMEROUS dumb threads attacking players and the coaches. And every time you've been shown to be incompetent.

Maroney is 22 years old with 2 less years of experience than someone like Addai. While he "could have bounced to his right" as you put it, I saw the same thing from Parker. The Steelers run defense is VERY STOUT as they showed by pushing our O-line back behind the line of scrimmage on at least 2 of the occasions the Pats ran the ball. How is that Maroney's fault?

Also, the game plan from the get go was to PASS the ball. PERIOD. And, since you missed it, the play action pass worked the times they ran it. And it was Maroney selling it.

Why would the Pats HAND OFF the ball against one of the best run defenses in the league? Its stupidity to do so. Why is it that you Maroney haters can't get that through your thick skulls?

Oh, and the Pats threw screens because they had the Steelers spread out and were able to take advantage of the space available. Unlike the running game where the Steelers REGULARLY were on the Pats side of the LOS.
  24. chrisfx811

chrisfx811 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Pats lost one of their top 2 backs in the 6th game of the season. LoMo may not be as far along as everyone hoped, but if BB starts using him for 20+ carries a game and he does go down, no we're looking at Eckel, Evans, Faulk, and possibly calling Fat Boy Dillon up and asking for help. No Thanks.

Heck, I watch the Colts and Addai, and I wonder if that kid's going to make it for the stretch run in the playoffs. Cracked bone in chest, sore hip, etc. They need the blowouts to keep him healthy for January.

I'd also like to say that our o-line is not exactly run blocking with the best of them. All too often, d line man are shedding our guys off too easily on run plays. It's the exact opposite of how our d-line looks when teams are successful running against us, they're not shedding blocks quickly enough and it leads to the rb's getting to the second level.
  25. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey

Pass based game plan. Top 3 run defense in the league.

YOU do the math. OH, yeah, you can cherry pick the numbers all you want, doesn't change the fact that the Pats were not going to waste time slamming Maroney into a brick wall. Belichick and McDaniels are a bit smarter than that. In case you haven't figured it out.
  26. Hollywood_Brady

Hollywood_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

if he doesnt pan out as an every down back... at least he can replace faulk as a 3rd down, pass-catching back... to be honest, i expected big things from him...
  27. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No Mood

Ummm... yes. I will agree that you are sorry. LoMo is just fine, thank you very much, and he carries when the situation calls for it.
  28. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#15 Jersey

What a humorous thread. The Patriots go 13-0 blowing out Pittsburgh and their defensive back, and you guys are still on the Maroney kick. Whenever he does make a great play (moving a pile yesterday, making two long runs from catches/Ravens) it gets downplayed because it spoils your Mcfadden lust. Mcfadden is not coming to New England, get over it. The Patriots are set at running back except maybe a late first round or later pickup. Gee 13 points, I guess Seymour is good for another week.
  29. Dagg

Dagg Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Emmit Smith and McFadden have vastly different running styles.

Emmit never had take it to the yard speed Mc Fadden posses.

Emmit was a grinding, downhill slasher who ran low. McFadden runs alot taller with more speed and hip swivel.
  30. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey

Since you missed it, the 2 times late in the game when the Pats TRIED to rush the ball, the Steelers defense pushed the Pats O-line behind the LOS, allowing them to stop Maroney. HOW is that Maroney's fault? The fact that he was able to get 2 yards on a play where the d-line was on his side of the LOS says alot.

The Pats pass blocking has been outstanding this year. The run blocking, not so much lately. It was good earlier in the year.. Maybe its because Neal's been out the last two games. I don't know.

What I do know is that the Pats are 13-0 and its been a TEAM effort. Everyone doing their part. The Pats had scored on 66.7% of their drives heading into last night. Entering the game, they'd had 59 red zone chances and scored on all of them but 1 or 2 in garbage time.

Would I have liked to see the Pats run more? Sure. Because I like it when they beat teams no matter what. But I also know that its just foolishness to NOT use the passing game when Tom Brady is arguably the Best QB in the league (and possibly of all time) and the Pats have such an amazing and dynamic set of receivers. The O-line has been damn near lights out in the pass protection. I don't think some of you realize that, heading into this season, Brady had been sacked an AVERAGE of 26 times a season. Brady's been sacked a total of 16 times this season. If that number hits 20, I'll be surprised.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.