PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness(X3 Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Honestly, can we now all agree that Maroney is NOT the answer as an every down ba

Every week (day) we see this same thread ala "Groundhog Day." With perhaps the best QB in the history of the game, the best receiving corps in the league, and an outstanding pass protecting OL, you want to gripe about Maroney? Brilliant!

What didn't occur to the detractors was the fact that Maroney was the reason the play action worked on Moss' TD early in the game.

No, better to gripe about something that had nothing to do with the game plan or the relative strength of the team; yet, when Maroney was called upon, he delivered.

If anyone really wants to see what's going on, contact Josh McDaniels and BB and request them to run Maroney 35 times a game. Only then can one assess the performance of Maroney and the OL in the running game. Until then, here's a news bulletin: the Pats are a passing team and will exploit that first when it's there. Yesterday, it was there.

Well said. Like everyone else I am curious to see what will transpire versus the Jets and Dolphins, but I think your analysis is spot on.

Re: Honestly, can we now all agree that Maroney is NOT the answer as an every down ba

A mistake or two? Correct. Four mistakes at the same position...no.

Wow you really don't know football. Do you honestly expect the 3rd and 4th running backs on the roster to be able to fill in for the #1 back? Do you expect Matt Cassell to play as well as Brady?

Wow you really don't know football. Do you honestly expect the 3rd and 4th running backs on the roster to be able to fill in for the #1 back? Do you expect Matt Cassell to play as well as Brady?

I expect a backup to be able to play. Remember the season the Patriots had 43 different starters. Well a lot of those players were backups. They weren't future hall of famers but good players who could fill in for starters and do the job when the starter couldn't. Oh, and the Patriots won the Super Bowl that year.

As far as not knowing football...I guess that is a condition you have some experience with.

I expect a backup to be able to play. Remember the season the Patriots had 43 different starters. Well a lot of those players were backups. They weren't future hall of famers but good players who could fill in for starters and do the job when the starter couldn't. Oh, and the Patriots won the Super Bowl that year.

As far as not knowing football...I guess that is a condition you have some experience with.

And I expect 1st Rd picks to run the ball effectively, score TD's, break a long run every now and then, and be GOOD ENOUGH to warrant inclusion into the gameplan.

And I expect 1st Rd picks to run the ball effectively, score TD's, break a long run every now and then, and be GOOD ENOUGH to warrant inclusion into the gameplan.

So instead of taking advantage of pass defenses that are unable to compete with the Patriots passing game, you would like to run more against good run defenses. Ahh...we go back to not knowing much about football.

So instead of taking advantage of pass defenses that are unable to compete with the Patriots passing game, you would like to run more against good run defenses. Ahh...we go back to not knowing much about football.

I know because the great passing offenses of the past 10 years(98 Vikings, Rams, Colts) didn't lead the league in passing yards and also have 1200 plus yard runners. :rolleyes:

LOL! BTW, do you think our offense would be better or worse if LT was on the team? Riddle me that Maroney apologists. The answer is obvious, LOL!:D

I know because the great passing offenses of the past 10 years(98 Vikings, Rams, Colts) didn't lead the league in passing yards and also have 1200 plus yard runners. :rolleyes:

Huh? That is barely a sentence and does not make sense. They didn't lead in passing yards and 1200 plus yard runners? OK. So what did they have?

ADPF -
Sorry but you are one of the worst evaluators out here. You've had NUMEROUS dumb threads attacking players and the coaches. And every time you've been shown to be incompetent.

Maroney is 22 years old with 2 less years of experience than someone like Addai. While he "could have bounced to his right" as you put it, I saw the same thing from Parker. The Steelers run defense is VERY STOUT as they showed by pushing our O-line back behind the line of scrimmage on at least 2 of the occasions the Pats ran the ball. How is that Maroney's fault?

Also, the game plan from the get go was to PASS the ball. PERIOD. And, since you missed it, the play action pass worked the times they ran it. And it was Maroney selling it.

Why would the Pats HAND OFF the ball against one of the best run defenses in the league? Its stupidity to do so. Why is it that you Maroney haters can't get that through your thick skulls?

Oh, and the Pats threw screens because they had the Steelers spread out and were able to take advantage of the space available. Unlike the running game where the Steelers REGULARLY were on the Pats side of the LOS.

Bruinz, you are now in "the WMDs are in Syria" territory. Do you even know what you're arguing anymore? He looks like sh!t. They're going to find a new running back in the offseason, watch.

Huh? That is barely a sentence and does not make sense. They didn't lead in passing yards and 1200 plus yard runners? OK. So what did they have?

2004. Manning 4500 yards. James 1500 yards. Look it up junior.

Da bruinz is the worst excuse maker ever. I gave maroney credit for pushing the pile last night. But other then that he sucked.

Maroney is the weak link.

Last edited:

True or False, over the last 5 games Maroney has a a 3.04 YPC? TRUE. Sorry, but you cannot turn a truth into a falsehood. That's just simple logic.

Ok, so show me where I tried to change it into a falsehood. You can't, because I didn't. Again, in the past 5 games, the Patriots have played the best rushing defenses in the NFL. It is to be expected that the YPC would drop. Let's start trying to get you to be an honest evaluator by looking at 2 things you've conveniently overlooked:

Last 5 games:

1st point

Colts
Kevin Faulk runs: 7

Bills
Kevin Faulk runs: 0

Eagles
Kevin Faulk runs: 2

Ravens
Kevin Faulk runs: 7

Steelers
Kevin Faulk runs: 0

Now, what does this tell us about the running game in general for those games(and remember: game plan)?

2nd point

Colts
#9 in YPC

Bills
#20 in YPC

Eagles
#6 in YPC

Ravens
#1 in YPC

Steelers
#3 in YPC

Now, with the exception of the Bills, why would you bother running against any of the above teams when your passing game is as good as it is? Take into account the environment (behind in Indy, backup safeties in Pittsburgh, etc..) as well as the obvious.

Now, one little bonus question: Adrian Peterson ran 14 times for a grand total of 3 yards on Sunday (0.2 YPC), so should Minnesota try to make him a 3rd down back and trade up to get McFadden as their starting running back, or should they just cut him?

2004. Manning 4500 yards. James 1500 yards. Look it up junior.

Oh wait! I remember now. That was the year the Patriots won the Super Bowl. Thanks for the reminder.

Is there a point? I am still waiting.

Bro, answer this question. Would our offense be better or worse if LT was on this team? The answer is obvious and it officially throws water on the Maroney PR team's claim that we don't use Maroney because we are a great pasing offense and there is no need for Maroney. Because you would have to be a FLAT OUT IDIOT to believe that if we had LT that he would not be getting the ball at least 18 times a game and that our offense would be even BETTER and TOUGHER for defenses to defend. The point being that a true STUD running back on this team that got 18 carries a game would not bring this offense back but it would make it BETTER! Only a MORON would argue that. Maroney is just not GOOD ENOUGH. Admit it people.

Brady went 18-38 versus Baltimore while fighting 30 mph winds. With no running game to lean on, the Pats were fortunate to leave town with the win. Having a running game does have value.

Bro, answer this question. Would our offense be better or worse if LT was on this team? The answer is obvious and it officially throws water on the Maroney PR team's claim that we don't use Maroney because we are a great pasing offense and there is no need for Maroney. Because you would have to be a FLAT OUT IDIOT to believe that if we had LT that he would not be getting the ball at least 18 times a game and that our offense would be even BETTER and TOUGHER for defenses to defend. The point being that a true STUD running back on this team that got 18 carries a game would not bring this offense back but it would make it BETTER! Only a MORON would argue that. Maroney is just not GOOD ENOUGH. Admit it people.

What if we had Walter Payton or Jim Brown? What if Montana was backing up Brady? What if Jerry Rice was playing beside Moss? What if Lawrence Taylor was playing in rotation with Bruschi and Seau?

Nice argument.

I've supported him out here whenever the topic comes up, and i'm hanging in there with Maroney for the rest of the year and the Playoffs, even though I'm frustrated and it's getting harder to defend him. Why? because the pats are using a pass, pass-instead-of-run offense. there is a lot of cause to be concerned, but he still hasn't had a multi-week, consistent chance to prove himself.

as for Darren McFadden, it's just not like Piolichick to draft an expensive talent like that. also, the greater need is on D, so I see them trading for a higher first round pick and a couple of round two's.

I don't generally get into name calling but some of you are straight up idiots. If we had a back that could grind out the clock in the 4th quarter they wouldn't be risking Brady's body by putting him into three step drops. Period. This isn't algebra. McDaniels doesn't trust Maroney to do anything but create 3rd down passing situations, so they shelf him for the most part, figuring that if you're going to have 3rd and 5 anyway, why not just pass on 1st and 2nd?

I'm not arguing this anymore, I'm done. You're morons.

And of course they're not going to draft McFadden. But god it would be nice.

Last edited:

What if we had Walter Payton or Jim Brown? What if Montana was backing up Brady? What if Jerry Rice was playing beside Moss? What if Lawrence Taylor was playing in rotation with Bruschi and Seau?

Nice argument.

LOL! Can't answer it can you. Thought so. Don't worry, because "what if" we add Darren McFadden to this team in 2008. LOL! I love the Maroney PR team. It's ok to offer an "opinion"(that can't be proven) that Maroney doesn't get the ball more because we are a great passing offense and that it has nothing do with the fact that he flat out sucks, but it's not ok for an anti-maroney guy to offer an "opinion" that a true flat out STUD running back would be getting more carries in this offense and that our offense would be even more potent and tougher to defend because of it. I laugh. Maroney sucks and the Maroney PR team is grasping at straws to keep coming up with excuses for the putz.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back