PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Lock Talib Up Now Longterm before FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it's possible and it's worth not underestimating the stupidity of certain NFL teams, but I don't see why other teams would be less wary than the Patriots when it comes to signing him to big money. Seems like a rather foolish gamble, IMO.

I also don't think we've seen enough from Cannon to establish that he's capable of starting at RT, though I also certainly wouldn't foreclose on that being a possibility.

Take a team without a ton of cap space, with a glaring need at either tackle position, and with a GM who may be fired if he doesn't improve, and it's a risk that I could easily see some team taking. If the risky signings pay off, they look like a genius- if not, no more fired than they would have been if they hadn't taken the risk in the first place.

Not having to take big gambles to save your job is a luxury that a lot of NFL GMs don't have.

Vince Wilfork on the difference Aqib Talib has made to the defense:

Patriots defense gaining confidence in recent weeks

Not sure about the "I don't know if he brought anything to the secondary or not" part, but the rest sounds good.

FWIW Belichick doesn't ascribe to the concept of swagger... I don't doubt that adding a talented player to a unit might make it feel better about itself and that alone miight lead to better execution or better utilization or some combination of both.

FWIW Belichick doesn't ascribe to the concept of swagger... I don't doubt that adding a talented player to a unit might make it feel better about itself and that alone miight lead to better execution or better utilization or some combination of both.

Do you get the sense that Wilfork was talking about "swagger" when he referred to Talib "bringing an attitude"? It seemed more like confidence or toughness. I don't personally associated swagger so much with things like "he don't say much", but maybe I'm reading too much into it. Regardless, I agree that attitude only goes so far if it doesn't translate into execution.

lock him up if it's for cheap..if not...let him walk Rather keep welker than talib

Last edited:
But I also think that it's unlikely that Talib will get that given his history, and it's more likely that he'll get something more like $8+M. So taking something around $7M (and I did say "maybe a bit more") for early security if he feels he's found a home isn't unreasonable.
Dan Schneider, owner of the Washington Redksins, will shell out market value for a cornerback (5 years, $50 million). If Schneider took a chance on Albert Haynesworth, then Aqib Talib would be the proverbial walk in the park.

Dan Schneider, owner of the Washington Redksins, will shell out market value for a cornerback (5 years, $50 million). If Schneider took a chance on Albert Haynesworth, then Aqib Talib would be the proverbial walk in the park.

Haynesworth was also considered the best defensive player in football at that time. Also, washington is in cap hell these days due to penalties for circumventing the cap during that time period.

I am not sure why everyone is so sure a huge contract is coming for Talib. The cap hasnt changed in 4 years basically, he is a walking red flag who will only have 10 clean weeks for teams to hang their hat on. I just cant think of any recent signings that would mirror this situation. David boston? Antonio bryant? dale carter?

Also, last year we saw some large contracts get doled out as teams had to get close enough to the salary floor, but I dont forsee as many teams in the arms race this year. A player like Talib will always be secondary to players with clean records, no matter the skillset. Dont forget, Al Davis isnt parolling any manager meetings anymore.

What have Talib showed so fare so he wont get a a contract? Hes been a relaxed and mostly silenced guy from what we have seen, practice hard, follow the leadership, basicly playing football... ( Patriots way )
Back in Tampa he was the superstar in a club where playoff was a city in russia and media was the local paper but nothing more. He might be the guy, who shine best is a "military" system, with other superstars and/but also likes to be seen. National television and media are around the club 24/7.
Another thing there might favor a contract, is the mistake BB made by NOT resign Law/Samuel. Talib is a mix between those. He got the "shutdown" materiel Law had, but also nose for the ball Samuel had. Finally we have something called a secundary, do he give up on that right away? We dont have alot of draft picks this year - Do we really wanna use 1 mayby 2 picks on secundary? Wanna get a guy like DMC who might cost even more then Talib and have shown nothing in this system compared to Talib?

Not only do i hope they lock him up, but i would be shocked otherwise... As for right now !!! Talib do have a history where things can chance, but untill now: Sign the beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back