Welcome to PatsFans.com

Let's face it. the rest of the team is going to have to bring the wins.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by goz421, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goz421

goz421 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Let's face it. We are being way to optimistic about Cassell. This team has a superior supporting cast and that is what must do it. The defense has to step up big time, as do the running backs. Remember the Miami interception, the lousy preseason.

Low scorring football here we come.
  2. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

agreed for the most part. we need our D to step up. But, you have to think our offense is still capable of putting up 20-25 points per game. we have moss, welker, maroney, and an above average O-Line. if we can run the ball well, spread the D with long passes to Moss, we will score some points
  3. bostonia3333

bostonia3333 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No way BB keeps Cassel for 4 years unless he thinks he can be a very good NFL qb:)
  4. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Isn't it funny how many of us all of a sudden feel that Cassell, the guy we all wanted out of here two weeks ago, is our new hero. Seriously, if he can give us 200 yards a game, I'd be impressed. He reminds me of Drew Bledsoe with a weaker and less accurate arm.
  5. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Try learning to spell our starting QB's name...

Remember how Brady struggled against Miami in the regular season during much of his career... Remember his 4 pick performance against Miami in his second start in 2001...

Then give it a rest.
  6. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

I am still weary of Cassel, but if he can play like he did against the Chiefs I will be happy. At this point, I don't know if there is a better option out there. I was hoping Huard would get cut. The fact that Chris Simms can't find a job discourages me about his chances too.

If Cassel can limit the mistakes, I think the running game and the defense can still carry this team to the playoffs.
  7. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

We didn't all want him out of here...genius. He's nothing like the statue.
    he has a well developed brain and manageable ego. And he's mobile.
  8. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm hoping for the best. If we can be a successful team with a back-up QB, it would be the ultimate FU to the rest of the league.
  9. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Stop kidding yourself. No one wanted him here. We wanted Gutierrez and O'Connell.

I know he's nothing like the statue, he doesn't have the arm.
  10. JAYHAWKS34

JAYHAWKS34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

All of are hopes are relying on a guy that hasn’t started a game since high school though he did prove himself in the KC game
  11. ClevTrev

ClevTrev Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm sure it's been said here before, but there are 52 players who now have a giant chip on their shoulders with the perfect opponent for them to take apart on Sunday.

While they support Brady, they're probably sick of the media and fan hysteria at this point. I've noticed in interviews that they're saying the right things, but they know injuries are a part of the game, and they aren't about to lay down for anyone because of the loss of one player.
  12. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

yes, the TEAM will have to win the game.

We can't count on Cassel to Moss for 50 TDs. The TEAM won the SB not Tom Brady alone it in 2001. Maybe the real reason why the Patriots lost the SB is they forgot it is a TEAM sport. And that Brady can not win it alone.

Go TEAM.
  13. goz421

goz421 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I like Daunte. No one wants him because of his age and he can't lead a lousy team. IMO, most of his problems came from his lack of mobility after his injury. The fact time has passed and I believe he is only 31 might mean he has had time to really heal. He is also the only one I see who has with the right cast proven he can be elite.

I say a one year flier on him might be the only direction.

As fro spelling Cassel I thought this place would be the last I would find the spelling nazis.
  14. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Hmmmm. I have been looking at a lot of threads in the last few days and I don't see anyone at all who has decided Matt Cassel and Matt Cassel alone will lead us to the Superbowl on the strength of his thus far hidden skills. Everyone has acknowledged the team is going to need to step up big time and Cassel will need to be a serviceable game manager for us to have any shot. So I'm not sure anyone here needs to "face it"....we're all already there.
  15. NJPatsfan26

NJPatsfan26 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yes I think we are already there......the rest of this season will be about playing for Tom and winning for Tom...its going to be intense....
  16. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Where I think the problems will come and start to surface when the team is on the road and the fans are loud and going crazy

If you think Cassel can manage the offense and get the offense to perform at a high level with a bunch of loud screaming fans and the opposing defense all hyped - IMO not going to happen

Brady just handled the pressure of the road games better than any other QB in NE history and is not so easy to replace - Even Bledsoe was less than average on the road

If the team wins 4 of 8 on the road this year with Cassel at the helm,I will be thrilled
  17. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If he wins 4 of the 8 road game and 5 of the remaining 7 home games we go to the playoffs.
  18. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree but 10-6 is the BEST case scenerio any normal Patriot fan with half a brain can expect at this point.
  19. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -1

My Jersey:

We did not all want Gut and the rookie, your assertion notwithstanding.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  20. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No Mood

True, but since I have a complete brain, I am expecting at least a 12-4 season, maybe better, and our appearing in the Super Bowl as well.
  21. Grizzafted

Grizzafted Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Can I ask why he's viewed so unfavorably by everyone here?

I didn't see any of the preseason games, living in NY, so I assumed he was godawful, but looking at the numbers, he doesn't look that terrible. He threw a bad interception in Baltimore, but news flash guys, people throw picks. Especially against a defense like Baltimore's. In the other games, he completed about 60% of his passes for around 5-6 yards per pass. That's not really that bad.

Did he look horrible? Was it just that he couldn't execute in the red zone? I'm not seeing anything that bad there. Yeah he threw an interception in Miami but until I see him throw 2 or 3 a game... I don't see why this is panicville right now. I think you are way overreacting, a lot of you.

In 2007, he had one great preseason game, one stinker, and two below average games. Granted, it's nothing to be super excited about, but I'm seeing a guy who can win games here.
  22. Grizzafted

Grizzafted Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm looking at all his yearly numbers. He's going to surprise a lot of you this year. 18 touchdowns, 12 interceptions, 11 wins.

The "we're doomed" room is over there.
  23. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Culpepper can't find a job because he takes sacks BECAUSE he holds on to the ball too long. He wouldn't exact be our offensive line's dream guy.
  24. QuinielaBox

QuinielaBox Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maybe, just maybe, oh never mind......

One game at a time for Matty!
  25. Patstopia

Patstopia Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Short quick passes and lots of running plays FTW.
  26. QuinielaBox

QuinielaBox Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He played with the JV team. This time he is playing with the Varsity. I assume the coaching staff will manage the game differently than they would with Brady in there.
  27. Garbanza

Garbanza Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Cassell's arm is fine - his inability to read defenses (or so I think, has anyone every really seen this guy play more than a few snaps in teh regular season?) is the problem. Teams will send all sorts of blitzes his way. He will get better with time - but this Sunday is 'gonna suck.

The defense - which many regarded as a weakness - suddenly is expected to win games for us. C'mon....The Pats d-line is one of the best in the league - no argument there - but the lbs and the db's? Not so much.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  28. Cannon Arm

Cannon Arm Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

All of our failures to win a Super Bowl since XXXIX have been because of our old defense, and that defense is older this year than it was last year and all the years before! Our defense was playing hard all those other times. It just wasn't good enough. We've never had a ferocious defense, like the Giants last year or the Baltimore Ravens in SB XXXV or the Bucs in SB XXXVII. That's what we need this year to win a SB with Matt Cassel because scoring is going to be way down unless Cassel suddenly has laser guided accuracy on a consistent basis.

Our hope this year was for Brady and Moss/Welker to have an even more intuitive relationship. And have Mayo play out of his mind as a rookie.
  29. goz421

goz421 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have one of the highest rated defenses in the league last year? I know we were down in some areas but our draft helped address that.

In the preseason the D wasn't bad. It was second string and special teams which gave up most the points.

I say we get back to red zone D and limit the other team to field goals like the old days.
  30. captadamnj

captadamnj Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

FWIW, I believe the success of Cassel and the Pats offense over the next few weeks starts with Randy Moss. Cassel to Moss on 3rd-and-11 from the 1 wasn't just about getting out of being backed up on the goal line. It gave Cassel confidence, gave Randy a reason to stop looking back at the tunnel for Tom's return (by his own admission), and most importantly, forced the defense to continue to respect Randy Moss by keeping double/over the top coverage on him. How long do you think it will take an opposing team to catch on if Moss becomes disinterested and stops running routes? That opens the door to another safety down in the box on running downs or more pressure on the passing downs. Assuming Moss remains the professional he has shown he can be, the same result would manifest itself if Cassel demonstrates an unwillingness or inability to get Moss the ball downfield.

With the quality of the competition in the AFC, I don't believe the Pats have the luxury of trying to re-invent themselves as something they weren't built to be this season (i.e. - a smash mouth running team). Working out the kinks in that plan over 5-6 games, well, that just isn't a luxury the team has.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.