PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LdT was 'impressed' by Garappolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some potential there. His release was still very quick. Problem with evaluating back up QB is the layout changes.

Didn't have Solder, Mason left with the starters which seemed to downgrade Jacksons play out there.

All in all what I saw was basically a rookie getting squashed by 6 or 7 sacks around a consistent collapsing pocket. And when he did have time he held onto the ball like a statue. A few under throws combined with some drops by Boyce spells failure.

His deep ball needs some work but the potential is there. His recognition is a long way off, pocket awareness was missing. Had a few nice check downs to White and some decent throws to Harper.

He needs reps and that's what he got last night.

But then who was he lined up AGAINST? I doubt it was the first team defense of GB.

That's why two of the highest scoring teams in the NFL played to 22-11 last night.

Perhaps you didn't notice that Aaron Rodgers played the entire 1st half, went 11-19 with no TDs leading his team to a whopping 9 points? After the first two sets, Butler sat out and he was throwing against??????????

C'mon, go beyond Volin level.

But it's nice to have you and Trycked aboard!

I saw some potential there. His release was still very quick. Problem with evaluating back up QB is the layout changes.

Didn't have Solder, Mason left with the starters which seemed to downgrade Jacksons play out there.

All in all what I saw was basically a rookie getting squashed by 6 or 7 sacks around a consistent collapsing pocket. And when he did have time he held onto the ball like a statue. A few under throws combined with some drops by Boyce spells failure.

His deep ball needs some work but the potential is there. His recognition is a long way off, pocket awareness was missing. Had a few nice check downs to White and some decent throws to Harper.

He needs reps and that's what he got last night.

He has a strong arm, but his release looked a bit slow last night.

i liked the fact that McDaniel's kept him in the pocket and forced him to read the play. Yes, this led to sacks, but I liked the fact that he stayed in there. He will be better next game

But then who was he lined up AGAINST? I doubt it was the first team defense of GB.

That Aaron Rodgers went 11-19 for 119 yds and 0 TDs against what kind of secondary after Butler and Mccourty left after 2 sets?????

9 point first half.

I saw Nelson, Quarless, Cobb, Starks, Lacey, etc. playing meaningful aalmost the entire 1st half. Garropolo had nowhere near that kind of cast around him.

Garropolo had no TE's, Josh Boyce as a WR and only Gray as an RB who may have NFL 20 carry potential.

Maybe that Rodgers guy isn't ready?

When comparing to Rodgers last night, perhaps Trycked and Chumpchange should do their homework.

i was secretly hoping he is the 2nd coming, our own aaron rodgers. maybe my expectation was little too high.

at worst i hope he is at least tony romo level. i did see many similarities between the two last year.

i was secretly hoping he is the 2nd coming, our own aaron rodgers. maybe my expectation was little too high.

at worst i hope he is at least tony romo level. i did see many similarities between the two last year.

It's an annual rite on this website. There will always be a few posters pop up after the 1st PS game to make permanent pronouncements based on it.

Evidently, you are looking through the same prism as our new friends Trycked and Chumpchange.

Rodgers had Nelson, Quarless, Cobb, Starks, Lacey, etc. playing almost the entire 1st half. Garropolo had nowhere near that kind of cast around him. No Blount, no Edeleman, no Lafell, no Dobson and what was that OL??????

Garropolo went 20-30 159 yds and 0 TD 1 INT. Rodgers went 11-19 119 yds 1 TD 0 INT with a VASTLY better support roster.

Perhaps its time to learn there are 11 players on each squad at each time.

It's a long process. Breathe.

When comparing to Rodgers last night, perhaps Trycked and Chumpchange should do their homework.

Perhaps you should do some of that homework. The Packers obviously didn't care much about the game, in terms of points, as they did some 4th down work instead of taking field goals. Without that, the game would have been a blowout, because Rodgers wasn't exactly having a world of trouble moving the ball up and down the field.

About the quarterback situation, think we'll be cutting Lindley and getting a journeyman backup, with big game experience who can see us through in case Garoppolo has a rough time? He may develop into something good someday, but Garoppolo looked pretty green and very young out there, and 0-4 would pretty much mean a lost season.

You sound like the posters about Gutierez and Cassell in 2008. BB does things for a purpose, and things are not always what they seem...

For the knee-jerkers coming in here to panic - - your post is the common sense answer.

Don't judge his performance unless he is not getting sacked 7 times in front of a line of 2 rookies and 3 bank tellers while waiting for the guys listed above to get open or hold onto the ball.

I didn't notice Brady shining under that circumstance last night either.

People couldn't understand why Brady played at all. BB put him in for minimal time just to calibrate how bad that raw line was, and to better evaluate Polo's response to no-time-to-throw.

That's why two of the highest scoring teams in the NFL played to 22-11 last night.

Perhaps you didn't notice that Aaron Rodgers played the entire 1st half, went 11-19 with no TDs leading his team to a whopping 9 points? After the first two sets, Butler sat out and he was throwing against??????????

C'mon, go beyond Volin level.

But it's nice to have you and Trycked aboard!

Yes Welcome Aboard.

Perhaps you should do some of that homework. The Packers obviously didn't care much about the game, in terms of points, as they did some 4th down work instead of taking field goals. Without that, the game would have been a blowout, because Rodgers wasn't exactly having a world of trouble moving the ball up and down the field.

Blowout? Piss off.

They would have put 6 points up in the 1st quarter if they had taken a FG instead of going for it on the first series. Then there was the series where they were held at midfield.

Dont give us that "Packers offense didnt care" line. Because then you are accepting that the Pats defense didnt either .

You also might want to do some homework because Brady was the only offensive starter to play, so to say it would have been a blowout if the teams cared is hilarious.

Last edited:
It's an annual rite on this website. There will always be a few posters pop up after the 1st PS game to make permanent pronouncements based on it.

Evidently, you are looking through the same prism as our new friends Trycked and Chumpchange.

Rodgers had Nelson, Quarless, Cobb, Starks, Lacey, etc. playing almost the entire 1st half. Garropolo had nowhere near that kind of cast around him. No Blount, no Edeleman, no Lafell, no Dobson and what was that OL??????

Garropolo went 20-30 159 yds and 0 TD 1 INT. Rodgers went 11-19 119 yds 1 TD 0 INT with a VASTLY better support roster.

Perhaps its time to learn there are 11 players on each squad at each time.

It's a long process. Breathe.

i actually don't even care who's out there when i evaluate QBs. i look at the details. first, i don't think he has a 'cannon' arm some of posters claim. his arm strength is good enough. but let's please drop the word 'cannon'. that's so annoying. there are only 4-5 QBs who has cannon in this league and JAG ain't one of them. not even close.

and he didn't show me romo/rodgers like escape ability. he felt the pressure, but he was hesitant. he had an opportunity to show them wheels, but he didn't. taking 7 sacks is awful no matter what. and his ball placement was ok. and i don't even know why he kept throwing to boyce. QB needs to know when to stop throwing to butter fingers.

overall my grade for JAGs performance is C+. he had the entire summer to make a statement. he is a 2nd rounder, and he needs to be ready to perform. i expect him to grow and produce now. this was his national wide audition. people tuned in for this game.

i'm hoping he bounces back and give us 'ok, we will be fine at the QB position for next 10 years' statement game. or if i see another lousy performance again, i really should lower my expectation on him.

Grop struggled because he had no time to get the ball out once the 3rd and 4th string OL was protecting him. I think that if Grop had the right protection, he could have lit them up.

That head ref tonight was preposterous BTW. Never saw him before, but he was atrocious in person. What did it look like on the tube?
Like Roger Goodell's younger brother, but without the endearing smile and imposing physique.

For the heck of it, I went back and looked at Brady's preseason record in 2001:
31/54, 384 yards, 2 TD's, no INT's. QB Rating of 85.7

Folks talk about how Belichick has said that he had outplayed Bledsoe in that Preseason and the stats bear it out.
Bledsoe in the 2001 preseason:
36/63, 337 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. QB Rating of 70.7

Also, Huard was still in the mix, so Brady didn't get as many reps as he otherwise would have gotten.

What's my point?

1) It's unfair to expect JG to be TB. Even Steve Young ended up in Canton, but wasn't Joe.

2) Let's see how Garoppolo does with more regulars around him and whether he's better with his reads when the pocket isn't collapsing around him like the NFL's Deflategate case. If he isn't performing better with #1 receivers and a coherent line, then I think we can start to be concerned if he's going to be the guy for the first four games.

But, for now, I think the right course is not to panic, but for BB and Josh to be thinking about guys who might fit into their system quickly. The latter is a tall order because the Pats system does take some acclimation.

Against the Packers' 3rd and 4th string defense (in the second half) he was decent. Didn't drive down the field but 15/17 is nothing to sniff at. Both incompletions were Boyce targets. And by now I'm sure everyone's aware of the 2-for-9 stat when throwing to Boyce and 18-for-21 to other targets.

He was playing with behind a line that had no starters whatsoever and a combined 11 games in the NFL (6 Fleming, 5 Barker).

I won't panic about JG until he's behind Solder, Jackson/Wendell, Stork, Mason and Vollmer and still takes 7 sacks a game.
Not to mention with Gronk, Edelman and Lafell to throw to.

All things considered, I'd say it was a solid, yet unspectacular showing from our 2nd year QB (IMHO).

Agreed. There's a world of difference between established starting (HOF) quarterbacks tossing the ball around to loosen up for a series in the preseason games, and a second year man playing to the limits of his ability, trying to get remedially prepped for starting the regular season before he's ready. Jimmy was the latter--playing as hard as he could--and still we didn't accomplish anything.

With that line he did very well.
He could of easily forced more balls which would lead to Ints or funble the one of the 7 times he was sacked.

Since when was I even comparing him to Rodgers. You raised up the point that he didn't have the top of the line OL or receivers, my point was he wasn't going against GB's top of the line defense either. Who knows how JG would do with all the starters if it was a real game, but I'm sure GB wouldn't be throwing out their scrubs against him if it was a real game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back