PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Laurence Maroney = Rookie of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Mac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Adam Shefter was just on the NFL Total Access, and he said he thinks Maroney will challenge Bush for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

What do you guys think? What are your projections for Maroney? I'm really wondering how the carries will be split between him and Dillon.

Yeah, I saw that last night. It's anyone's guess how things will go but Maroney clearly has more in the tank than Dillon and he has been fine with pass protection and receiving too. If I had to guess, by midseason Maroney will get twice the carries that Dillon gets. A 20-10 split would be nice and give Tommy lots of good playaction looks.

The Patriots have not been about those individual awards, so I'll answer thusly: Who cares if he's the OROY as long as he helps us hoist another Lombardi?

I don't care about the award, per se. But if he wins it, it will mean he had a damn good year, and most likely took the bulk of the carries away from Dillon. I'm wondering if everyone expects that to be the case.

I do see his point. Maroney has more proven durability than Bush so he is less likely to hit a rookie wall (see Cadillac). Plus, not to take anything away from Dillon, Lord knows I love him, but Deuce is a more solid RB right now so Maroney would be more likely to get more handoffs. But the Patriots play the game that rewards a team and not an indivdual, so Maroney may gather a fair amount of yards but I would not expect any gaudy stats as our red zone O looks titled more towards the TE's.

Last edited:
TeamPats said:
I do see his point. Maroney has more proven durability than Bush so he is less likely to hit a rookie wall (see Cadillac). Plus, not to take anything away from Dillon, Lord knows I love him, but Deuce is a more solid RB right now so Maroney would be more likely to get more handoffs. But the Patriots play the game that rewards a team and not an indivdual, so Maroney may gather a fair amount of yards but I would not expect any gaudy stats as our red zone O looks titled more towards the TE's.

Hmm.. Isn't Duece coming off of back to back injury seasons? Or are my facts confused?

Yes, he will be rookie of the year. Phew! Glad we got that over with.:D

Personally, I doubt either player will be ROY. Dillon will be the starter here. Duece may take carries away from Bush. NO will be a sorry team and Bush will be lost by the "hot story" by the end of the year. It could be anybody at this point. That TE drafted by Oakland would be my guess, but I am probably wrong.

Dragda said:
Personally, I doubt either player will be ROY. Dillon will be the starter here. Duece may take carries away from Bush. NO will be a sorry team and Bush will be lost by the "hot story" by the end of the year. It could be anybody at this point. That TE drafted by Oakland would be my guess, but I am probably wrong.

Do you mean the TE drafted by the 49ers? Vernon Davis?

ROY would be a nice achievement for Laurence but .....
... I think he'll be happy with an Awesome RING. :D

The way we distribute the ball isn't condusive to individual awards. Since he son't get the ROTY trophy, I hope he can settle for a SB ring.

Brownfan80 said:
Do you mean the TE drafted by the 49ers? Vernon Davis?

Oops. Yes.

IMO Maroney will get 60% of the carries and probably get 1200yds.
ROY and a 4th Superbowl are more likely cumulative rather than exclusive.
Keeping the offense healthy is the key.
I think addai is little and will be keyed on and injured quickly.
We will bury teams this year will our ground game.

jct said:
IMO Maroney will get 60% of the carries and probably get 1200yds.
ROY and a 4th Superbowl are more likely cumulative rather than exclusive.
Keeping the offense healthy is the key.
I think addai is little and will be keyed on and injured quickly.
We will bury teams this year will our ground game.

So the other 40% of Dillon and Faulk and whoever else will get 800 yards. For a combined 2000 yard season from our ground attack. Not too bad. I'd be happy with it. Hopefully, we can improve from out 1500 yard season last year. Although, to put it in perspective, the Cheifs had 2300 last season total, the Chargers had 2007, and the Seahawks had 2457 total rushing yards.

Krazy Koz said:
FOX Sports disagrees (http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/st...35&promoCode=000006MSHPFFAFLNN&FSO1&ATT=HMA):

Best rookie

Joseph Addai, Indianapolis
While Laurence Maroney and DeAngelo Williams are behind accomplished veteran backs, Addai is competing with a recent backup runner in Dominic Rhodes....

I know you guys aren't going to want to hear this, but I have to agree with this pick. A lot of times it isn't the most talented rookie that wins, it's the rookie who get's the biggest oppurtunity to play. Look at Cadillac last year, he was the 3rd RB picked, yet he wins ROY over Benson & several others picked ahead of him, because he was the starter right from the end of training camp. The same goes for Addai, I think he get's more of a chance to get more carries than either Bush or Maroney.

If I were a betting man, I would guess Dillon carries the ball about 225 times and Maroney 150-175 carries. Kinda tough to win ROY with that amount of carries. It wouldn't suprise me if Addai get's at least 225 carries. This is no disrespect to Maroney, I think he will be a great back eventually (probably next year he takes over as our #1 back).

I think he will be great

I don't know about any awards (I think its very premature at this point) but I do remember clearly Shanahan saying that the Patriot's had gotten a 'steal' in the draft with this kid and the Denver coach has seen quite a few great running backs himself. In fact, if memory serves he said that he was the best back in the draft (in his opinion of course).::rolleyes:

I think the Pats can reach 2000 total rushing this year. I'd ink up Maroney for about 750 I think since he is splitting time. But it should be a very efficient, explosive 750 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST