PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Latest Rumors: Patriots Close to Signing Talib and are Getting Aggressive With Julian

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Latest Rumors: Patriots Close to Signing Talib and are Getting Aggressive With Julian Edelman
By:

As we close in on the start of free agency, it appears the Patriots are trying to make sure their top two players don't get a chance to test the market....

Re: Latest Rumors: Patriots Close to Signing Talib and are Getting Aggressive With Ju

I hope the rumor is true about Talib. I was shocked when we were able to resign him and I'd be even more shocked this year.

As for Edelman, while I love the guy and would like to see him return I don't want the Pats investing a ton of money into an injury prone player who has only one good year under his belt. of course, there aren't many better options out there.

Re: Latest Rumors: Patriots Close to Signing Talib and are Getting Aggressive With Ju

I would not be surprised if Edelman and Talib are finding less than red-hot interest on the free agent market. There are about 700 free agent CBs. And receivers are finding it tough-sledding in the face of a deep WR draft class.

As a rule of thumb, if Washington is your hottest suitor, you might want to think about re-upping with your current team..

As a rule of thumb, if Washington is your hottest suitor, you might want to think about re-upping with your current team..

Why's that? Washington pays their free agent acquisitions VERY HANDSOMELY. If your primary goal is to back up the money truck, Washington is traditionally the landing spot.

I'd really like to bring back Talib but I'm not willing to match the $$ that Washington has shown they are willing and eager to spend.

Exactly. Washington is the photo in the dictionary next to the term "loser franchise". If all you are getting is interest from Washington or Buffalo or Cleveland, then you might want to reassess your value because the ONLY reason any player would sign with those teams is to grab the benjamins.

If you thought you were going to be a "hot free agent", you would expect some serious bidding from good football teams. Getting "interest" from the Redskins isn't exactly landing a date to the prom with the Homecoming Queen.

And looking at it from the other side of the coin, there are so many veteran free agent CBs right now that the Pats don't really have to sign Talib. They will have their pick of at least half a dozen veteran NFL starters at CB who don't have a chair when the music stops.

The same is true at wide receiver. Steve Smith on a one year deal wouldn't be the worst stop gap.

Would rather have Vontae Davis and maybe even Verner over Talib. I can see it already, Talib misses more games next season. The guy has a bum hip and he will miss games.

As for Edelman, well hell, get a legit outside WR and use Amendola for what they brought him to NE for. If The Pats have the same WR group as last year then what a joke. Dobson and Thompkins are not NFL starters.

Dobson and Thompkins are not NFL starters.

What do you expect to see from a rookie that would convince you they are starters? Calvin Johnson had 48 receptions in 15 games his rookie year. Larry Fitzgerald had 58 in 16 games. TO had 35 receptions in 16 games. Troy Brown had 2 receptions in 12 games. Dobson had 37 in 12 games. Since those first two averaged about 3 receptions per game their rookie years, and Brown had 2 the whole year, and TO had fewer in more games, I guess none will make it in the NFL as a receiver either. On second thought, I believe a few had some pretty fair careers.

Most rookies don't put up phenomenal stats. Writing off a rookie based on a rookie season is a bit unrealistic.

Would rather have Vontae Davis and maybe even Verner over Talib. I can see it already, Talib misses more games next season. The guy has a bum hip and he will miss games.

As for Edelman, well hell, get a legit outside WR and use Amendola for what they brought him to NE for. If The Pats have the same WR group as last year then what a joke. Dobson and Thompkins are not NFL starters.

I agree with your apprehension about both Talib + the ridiculously pathetic receiving crew of last year. That said, Talib probably looks to me our best bet as long as they don't give him something like 9 million, which I am afraid may happen.

Edelman can stay or leave--as long as the WR corps itself is improved upon from last year depth wise. Many point to the issue of rookies as an excuse, and while it's reasonable to expect one of them to jump up--some here think that all 3 are suddenly going to rise to the top of the league. I agree that I don't see Thompkins as anything close to a starter this year, and my concern with Dobson is that he's going to be another Brandon Tate/Taylor Price. Good measureables, but injury prone and never live up to the hype.

What do you expect to see from a rookie that would convince you they are starters? Calvin Johnson had 48 receptions in 15 games his rookie year. Larry Fitzgerald had 58 in 16 games. TO had 35 receptions in 16 games. Troy Brown had 2 receptions in 12 games. Dobson had 37 in 12 games. Since those first two averaged about 3 receptions per game their rookie years, and Brown had 2 the whole year, and TO had fewer in more games, I guess none will make it in the NFL as a receiver either. On second thought, I believe a few had some pretty fair careers.

Most rookies don't put up phenomenal stats. Writing off a rookie based on a rookie season is a bit unrealistic.

I see the point you're making, and while I find it reasonable, you also have to see the other side of the coin as well; and that is what is making many apprehensive.

I think it's reasonable to hope/expect that ONE of those rookies steps up, but anything else is just not likely. Hell, Thompkins caught 11 balls from mid October on through mid January. That's 3 whole freaking months. I don't think he belongs on the team, let alone starting. He couldn't beat man coverage, didn't run sharp routes, and couldn't improve on much...period. He served his purpose, but looks to have a limited ceiling.

Dobson seems to be the most talented, but will now miss OTAs/minis, and the hope is that he's not another Taylor Price or Brandon Tate. Only time will tell. Like I said, I think ONE of them can be relied upon, just from the law of averages alone, but the other positions could be upgraded in my opinion.

The thing about player evaluations is that everyone's are a bit different, so while you could be correct and me wrong, I'm just explaining my reasoning for thinking that the WRs need improved upon--nothing more.

The same is true at wide receiver. Steve Smith on a one year deal wouldn't be the worst stop gap.

No, it wouldn't. Many will complain about Smith's size, etc, but I think that he's obviously proven that he's a guy who will battle, can be depended upon, and offers a more physical presence than his stature suggests. On top of that, he is experienced.

I think we could do a lot worse than Steve Smith on a one year deal. It wouldn't solve everything of course, but it may be a nice start.

No, it wouldn't. Many will complain about Smith's size, etc, but I think that he's obviously proven that he's a guy who will battle, can be depended upon, and offers a more physical presence than his stature suggests. On top of that, he is experienced.
Yes, he can certainly be depended on.... that is, depended on to throw a hissy-fit whenever he doesn't feel he's getting the ball as much as he thinks he should.

Why's that? Washington pays their free agent acquisitions VERY HANDSOMELY. If your primary goal is to back up the money truck, Washington is traditionally the landing spot.

I'd really like to bring back Talib but I'm not willing to match the $$ that Washington has shown they are willing and eager to spend.

they just re-signed DeAngelo Hall at just under 5 million per year so I don't think there offer was as high as we think

I think we could do a lot worse than Steve Smith on a one year deal. It wouldn't solve everything of course, but it may be a nice start.

I would love smith on a one year deal he may not be a star anymore but he will still force teams to put there #1 CB on him and he will win a few of does battles

As much as I love Talib's game, his injuries scare me.... but if they do resign him, confident that they they did their due diligence on his hip issue....

hope Talib is back. Would be nice to have Edelman, but if not I think they can work a deal with someone else.

Unless the team wants to pull the trigger on Revis for $12-$13M per at the very least or bring in Verner for a bit under that, the best bet is to bring back Talib. I'll still believe it when I see it, though. A little less excited about Edelman. I really hope they don't overpay him. Both players should have incentive loaded contracts to protect the team against injuries while still rewarding them handsomely if they can stay on the field.

I still hope we go after someone like Hakeem Nicks on a 1 year prove it deal. If he can stay healthy he would be a real nice compliment to Dobson/Edelman

I hope the rumor is true about Talib. I was shocked when we were able to resign him and I'd be even more shocked this year.

As for Edelman, while I love the guy and would like to see him return I don't want the Pats investing a ton of money into an injury prone player who has only one good year under his belt. of course, there aren't many better options out there.

It's interesting you say that about Edelman, because a similar case could be made against Talib. Obviously he hasn't only had "one good year", but he's only had one year where we played anywhere near the level he showed through early 2013. So if that's the Talib you're paying for, you're also investing a ton of money into an injury prone player who has only one good year (at that price range) under his belt.

Whether they re-sign Talib or not, I'm going to stand by my opinion: I don't trust him to be available when we need him the most. There's no doubt he changes things when he's on the field, but we're already relying on one of those types in Gronkowski, I hate the idea of building both the offense AND defense around those cornerstones.

I don't know if I am going to listen to a rumor from a Washington area reporter about the Pats. I will believe the Talib rumor when local guys say that he is close to signing.

The whole Revis release mucks up things. Unfortunately, he won't be released until tomorrow and they might have to make a decision about Talib before that. Well, unless Jason Licht does his friend Belichick a solid and allows him to negotiate with Revis before he is released.

I don't know if I am going to listen to a rumor from a Washington area reporter about the Pats. I will believe the Talib rumor when local guys say that he is close to signing.

The whole Revis release mucks up things. Unfortunately, he won't be released until tomorrow and they might have to make a decision about Talib before that. Well, unless Jason Licht does his friend Belichick a solid and allows him to negotiate with Revis before he is released.

Revis also needs to stop acting like Mevis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back