PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft Family ignores Pats best interests

Status
Not open for further replies.
excellent points and I've seen Welker get hammered and still hold onto the ball. He'll prove to be a gamer.

...................... and a type receiver that Tom Brady LOVES (ala Troy). That's enough for me.

Let's review the deal and what's behind it:

Pats decide they need a receiver and a return guy (both obvious observations even us dumb fans can see). They don't want to go with the draft as they tried that last year with Jackson and he's been a bust so far. They look around at who's out there, and for whatever reason, none of the free agents appeal to them (Stallworth is always injured and now it's reported he's in the substance abuse program; they don't like Kevin Curtis or he doesn't want to come here, etc.). They look around and see who's a restricted free agent. What about Wes Welker? He'd be perfect for our offense to replace Troy Brown (he's a younger version) - he's a great slot receiver and a good returner as well. He burns us constantly and is the only good player Miami has on offense. We'd only have to give up a 2nd rounder, and let's face it, with 2 #1s, our 2nd rounder is house money at this point. It'll surprise the crap out of Miami and we'll get a guy that will have an immediate impact (unlike our most recent 2nd rounder). We put together a poison pill offer sheet, but are a little leary about pulling the trigger because (as others have pointed out), someone else (maybe someone wearing Jets green) will see the green light to "do unto others." So, we call Miami and say we're going to do this poison pill thing, but maybe we can make a deal? Miami, who wants to save face (over not being able to match the poison pill and the public perception that they were outdone by one of their most hated rivals) agrees. We end up getting our guy for the house $$ 2nd rounder we were alreadly willing to give up and a useless 7th rounder and can negotiate a better long term deal; Miami can say it was able to steer the big boys away from the poison pill and got an additional (albeit useless) draft pick out of the deal. Everybody wins, but especially us. Draft picks, no matter what everybody says, are mostly a crap shoot. I'll take a proven guy for a 2nd rounder (when we already have 2 1st rounders) any day.

You mean Solman is WRONG?????????

He feels betrayed because of a effing seventh round pick? I am going to piss myself.

This is a 7#...four stinkin picks away from Mr irrelevant, please. get a life.

i would not be surprised at all if the commissioner stepped in, behind the scenes and told then to work it out.

I think the #7 is worth it to have Welker here for off season workouts, Brady familiarity, mini camp etc etc.

Kraft had absolutely NO say in what the team gave up in this deal.

Really? Owners have no control over personnel decisions? That's absurd.

Kraft has total control over the New England Patriots.

Just when I thought the 'poison pill' threads were bad, I open this thread. I won't even bother to read the second post -- this topic stinks! I'll just have to guess that everyone else feels the same. :rolleyes:

yeah, thats why they did it. to make Kraft look good. Seriously dude, do you not know anything about this team?:confused:

Yes, I know that Kraft has been the golden boy of NFL owners, and has never done anything to tarnish his image with his high-end owner peers.

No. The 7th round draft pick means the Pats can sign Welker for millions less than what they would have to pay him under the poison pill plan.

Newsflash, Solman. The Patriots know what they are doing.

Apparently you have no clue what you're doing.

The whole point of a poison pill is that its money that you don't have to pay (but the old team does).

How would a poison pill have cost the Patriots money?

There are a lot of dumb posts by dumb people on messageboards.

True fans and intelligent fans have to weed through them.

But in the history of dump posts by dumb people, this is the dumbest.

Take a look at the history of the Patriots prior to the Kraft family.

How many wins? How many division championships? How many playoff wins? How many Super Bowl appearances? How many Super Bowl wins? How many privately-funded top-notch stadiums?

Patriots fans should sing "hosannas" in Kraft's name. I know I do.

Man, that's a stupid post.

You feel "betrayed"? Seriously? That's not, er, overstating your case a little?

A little bit :)

I'm pretty amused by the number of responses...

and a little surprised that only a few people are angered by the concept of giving up a draft pick for nothing.

For the record:

1. I have always supported the Krafts on every other issue, especially the "Krafts are cheap chant".

2. I think this is a good deal but...

3. GIVING UP DRAFT PICKS FOR NOTHING IS BULLSH*T

OK. At first I blinked. Then I rubbed my eyes. Then I said there must be something wrong with my computer screen.

But, I think it's time to bring back an old favorite.

sucks5.jpg

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but with a seventh-round draft pick.

--TS Eliot
Sort of.

Who cares about a 7th round draft pick. the Pats are

swimming in draft picks. They should end up with a #4, two #6,

and a #7 as compensatory picks.

A little bit :)

I'm pretty amused by the number of responses...

and a little surprised that only a few people are angered by the concept of giving up a draft pick for nothing.

For the record:

1. I have always supported the Krafts on every other issue, especially the "Krafts are cheap chant".

2. I think this is a good deal but...

3. GIVING UP DRAFT PICKS FOR NOTHING IS BULLSH*T

No, your posts are BULLSH*T. Just admit that you want so desperately to have something to complain about.

They didn't give it up for nothing. Prior to the deal, the Dolphins would have seven days to match, and the chance existed that the Patriots would not get the player they wanted. Instead, for the price of a seventh round pick, Wes Welker is a Patriot tonight.

Here's the 7th round picks since Belichick arrived:

00 - Casey Tisdale, Patrick Pass
01 - Owen Pochman, TJ Turner
02 - Antoince Womack, David Givens
03 - Spencer Nead, Tully Banta Cain
04 - Christian Morton
05 - Matt Cassel, Andy Stokes
06 - Willie Andrews

Aside from Givens, which was clearly a rare case, which of these players would you choose over Wes Welker?

Let's review the deal and what's behind it:

Pats decide they need a receiver and a return guy (both obvious observations even us dumb fans can see). They don't want to go with the draft as they tried that last year with Jackson and he's been a bust so far. They look around at who's out there, and for whatever reason, none of the free agents appeal to them (Stallworth is always injured and now it's reported he's in the substance abuse program; they don't like Kevin Curtis or he doesn't want to come here, etc.). They look around and see who's a restricted free agent. What about Wes Welker? He'd be perfect for our offense to replace Troy Brown (he's a younger version) - he's a great slot receiver and a good returner as well. He burns us constantly and is the only good player Miami has on offense.

I think their interest in Welker was even stronger than that. I suspect they've had him in their gunsights for months. I think he was a specific target of free agency and not as some sort of fall back.

Re: Kraft Family ignores Pats best interests.

I've been keeping this to myself, but I've long felt this way as well.

I believe it's all part of a long and evil plan they had to undermine the franchise by buying it instead of letting it be sold and moved to St. Louis, then building the team up in stature and value - sucking clueless gullible fans into becoming fully consumed by "Patriot's fever" building to a creshendo of a decade full of Super Bowl titles...

... only to pull the rug out from under us to send the franchise into a tailspin of destruction, breaking the heart and soul of all fans and sending all of New England into despair.

It's the ultimate rope-a-dope.

Now that solman has effectively uncovered the truth, I feel it's only right to share my theory with the rest of Patriot Nation in the hopes that preparing the fan base for the ultimate demise might spare some just a bit of pain and suffering.

No, your posts are BULLSH*T. Just admit that you want so desperately to have something to complain about.

Up until this deal I had nothing but praise for the Pats, and I was quite happy about it. Your comments are false and baseless.

They didn't give it up for nothing. Prior to the deal, the Dolphins would have seven days to match, and the chance existed that the Patriots would not get the player they wanted. Instead, for the price of a seventh round pick, Wes Welker is a Patriot tonight.

So now you don't think that BB and SP are smart enough to create a match-proof poison pill? Get your story straight.

Here's the 7th round picks since Belichick arrived:

00 - Casey Tisdale, Patrick Pass
01 - Owen Pochman, TJ Turner
02 - Antoince Womack, David Givens
03 - Spencer Nead, Tully Banta Cain
04 - Christian Morton
05 - Matt Cassel, Andy Stokes
06 - Willie Andrews

Its quite a bit better than I thought. Aside from Givens, Pass, TBC and Cassel have provided significant value.

Aside from Givens, which was clearly a rare case, which of these players would you choose over Wes Welker?

You aren't making any sense. We didn't trade a seventh round pick for the ability to DRAFT Welker. We traded:

1. Over $18M in cash and cap space +
2. A second round draft pick +
3. A seventh round draft pick

for five years of service from Welker.

I think that MAY be a good deal. But we had the option of not giving up the seventh round pick.

Here is the correct question:

Which of the players listed above would you trade for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Because we just gave up a Patrick Pass so that Kraft could claim the high ground at the next owners meeting.

Now that solman has effectively uncovered the truth,

What solman has discovered, is that the title of a post is MUCH more important than its content. :)

Did the Kraft family just surrender a 7th round draft pick so that they could look good in owners meetings?

Until now, I have always defended them against charges that they were cheap or that they wouldn't do whatever was necessary to help the Patriots win.

I feel betrayed. I hope that somebody comes up with an explanation of how this will help the team in the long run.

Wow, that's about as clueless a post as i've seen in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft