PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A What If: Bouye over Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
These arguments seem rather inane and cyclical at best, not sure how you can compare these two guys as they play in different systems with a different supporting casts..

I think Gilmore is fine, not sure if he is 60 million + fine though, was surprised at this outlay by BB...

A better way of looking at it is can you envision Bouye playing for the NEP and Gilmore for Jacksonville?? In that scenario would Bouye look as good in this system??

FYI Gilmore did not make the Pro Bowl this year or last year, so not sure where that is coming from..
Gilmore made the Pro Bowl last year

I’m really happy with our CBs. Remember Hobbs, O’neal, Wheatley and Wilhite?

Damn you! I had almost gotten rid of the nightmare flashbacks and you have to go and remind me!

Good thing I got that extra bottle of Beam for tonight.

Bouye is the number two corner on the Jaguars. Ramsey is the better corner.
Ramsey is the best corner in the NFL right now. What’s scary is he’s only going to get better next season (short of injury). But Bouye would have been the CB1 here. He also would have been better right off the bat having played in a similar system in Houston.

I wish I still had the GIF of O’Neal trying to jam a WR (can’t remember who), whiffing completely and almost falling flat on his face, and then that WR burning him for the score.

Ramsey is the best corner in the NFL right now. What’s scary is he’s only going to get better next season (short of injury). But Bouye would have been the CB1 here. He also would have been better right off the bat having played in a similar system in Houston.
When was the last time we had a young player like Ramsey on the defense? It seems like its been forever since we've had a young and improving star on that side of the field who can honestly be considered a Top 3/4 player at his position. Our 1st round pick position doesn't help ;(

It's not really a simple 1:1 comp.

Gilmore has been on the injury report 7 times for an ankle, most recently just two weeks ago. The ankle (+ concussion) caused him to miss 3 weeks, so Bouye has played almost 25% more snaps than Gilmore this season.

Then there are the differences in scheme and role.

How much man, zone and man/zone-mix do the Jags play compared to the Pats? A lot of fans were eager to have Jason McCourty signed by the Pats without thinking about the fact that he's played in mostly zone-based schemes his entire career, including college. Devin infamously floundered around for more than a year trying to learn man-coverage, and eventually transitioned to safety (though he's much, much better in man coverage now - six years later). So, how long might it have taken Jason to adapt to the Pats' schemes?

How much does Bouye stick to one boundary and whoever is lined up to his side? ... as opposed to sometimes shadowing a specific player for a game or a half, regardless where the guy lines up?

I'm not saying that Bouye hasn't been very good this season and looks vastly superior on the stat sheet, nor am I ignoring Gilmore's struggles. But still, Bouye has almost certainly had more opportunities ...

In any case, BB & Caserio certainly had a bit more tape on Gilmore than on Bouye (66 games/64 starts v. 50 games/19 starts), plus the advantage of having played against Gilmore 10 times over five seasons. Apparently, they concluded that Gilmore would be a better fit for the schemes that the Pats deploy.

I wish I still had the GIF of O’Neal trying to jam a WR (can’t remember who), whiffing completely and almost falling flat on his face, and then that WR burning him for the score.

Damn!

You, too??!!

Going into the FA period it was simple. Bouye had a one year history, while BB had seen Gilmore up close and personal twice a year for 4 years. Bouye was a much greater risk for the money.

BTW- its starting to grate on me that whenever someone completes a pass in Gilmore's area, he gets the blame. It's never that it was a great pass or catch. So in a league which is set up so bad QB's can complete 60% of their passes, only Stephon Gilmore has to be perfect. :rolleyes:

Going into the FA period it was simple. Bouye had a one year history, while BB had seen Gilmore up close and personal twice a year for 4 years. Bouye was a much greater risk for the money.

BTW- its starting to grate on me that whenever someone completes a pass in Gilmore's area, he gets the blame. It's never that it was a great pass or catch. So in a league which is set up so bad QB's can complete 60% of their passes, only Stephon Gilmore has to be perfect. :rolleyes:
Mr. Belichick accepts nothing less than perfection.

Gilmore made the Pro Bowl last year

When the Pro Bowl was announced he was not on the roster or listed as a replacement, the roster initially was, Cornerback: Marcus Peters*, Chiefs; Aqib Talib*, Broncos; Casey Hayward, Chargers; Chris Harris Broncos. There were no replacements listed at CB initially(Dec. 20).

It wasn't until Jan 23, 2017 that he was told he made the team, the game was played on Jan. 29th... looks more like a consolation prize than a badge of honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes