PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Mike Gillislee so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Big Disappointment and downgrade at the RB position if you ask me. Compare his numbers to last year and he clearly isnt what the Pats thought he would be.
Mike Gillislee

He's averaging 3.6 yards per carry. His longest run this year is 16 yards. He's been okay on the goalline but really bad in 3rd and short and 4th and short situations. I think he's a decent back up, but he's showing he can't be "the guy" like Blount was when he won 2 SuperBowls with the Pats.

Blount is having a great year BTW. It's baffling why they let him walk. He clearly wanted to be a Patriot and wouldnt have cost much money at all. Dwayne Allen is making way more than what Blount got.

One of the worst decisions of the Belichick era.

I hope Gillislee just needs to hit his stride and starts taking over games. Our run game hasn't been up to par though, I would think mostly cause of the OL. Not to mention, if the defense isn't playing well and we are playing from behind, then we need to pass.

I hope Gillislee just needs to hit his stride and starts taking over games. Our run game hasn't been up to par though, I would think mostly cause of the OL. Not to mention, if the defense isn't playing well and we are playing from behind, then we need to pass.
I hope so too.

Unfortunately I havent seen anything that would suggest he has the ability to take over games.

I think the OL needs to be addressed before we get to the run game. I don't have much confidence that Blount would be able to get moving with this OL in any impactful manner no matter how successful he is on another team.

The rungame looked actually pretty well against the Panthers in terms of being a drive starter. Go and check out the play by play and you will be surprised how many times we got off a 6+ yard run and Gillislee is a big part of that.

The issue with Blount which you just keep ignoring is that by all accounts (e.g. Lombardi) it was difficult to use him in non run plays because he just could not pick up the blocking schemes - even in practice. This had the domino effect that in most cases where he was on the field it telegraphed the run to the other team. Gillislee is supposedly way better at that and this alone adds another dimension to our game.

In todays NFL having a runner that cant block consistently is a big liability.

I consider myself a huge Blount fan but there were times last season where he’d get happy feet and take waaay too long to hit the point of attack. Gillislee seems to hit the hole at warp speed though at times his blocks haven’t quite developed as quickly as he would like and I put that on timing of the line with the back. Bill was asked about this a few weeks ago and brushed it off as if getting a back in a rhythm didn’t matter. The entire offense needs timing to be effective! Short theory, long, I think he has the ability to be a great back

I consider myself a huge Blount fan but there were times last season where he’d get happy feet and take waaay too long to hit the point of attack. Gillislee seems to hit the hole at warp speed though at times his blocks haven’t quite developed as quickly as he would like and I put that on timing of the line with the back. Bill was asked about this a few weeks ago and brushed it off as if getting a back in a rhythm didn’t matter. The entire offense needs timing to be effective! Short theory, long, I think he has the ability to be a great back

Loved LG but he sucked in the playoffs.

Loved LG but he sucked in the playoffs.
He put up 148 yards in one game against the Colts.

Even if he was only getting 3-4 yards per attempt in some other games, he's such a tough guy to bring down that he was wearing down defenses.

I dont see Gillislee wearing any D down.

You guys talk about improving ol but forget to mention a rb sometimes having to make his own way by breaking some tackles. Lewis with 50 less carries has broken just about the same amount of tackles as Gilly so in terms of rb ability Gilly isn't that great.

I'm fine with Gillislie. He does his job and we have him for 2 years, with White. That gives us an OK running game, depending on the OL. Given that Burkhead was supposed to play a major role (given the $), Gillislie and White are doing fine.

Gilllislee has been a clear upgrade, and I loved what Blount brought to our team. Much more decisive, much less of a tell to the other team on what we're going to do. He runs hard and has done well on the goal line.

I'm fine with Gillislie. He does his job and we have him for 2 years, with White. That gives us an OK running game, depending on the OL. Given that Burkhead was supposed to play a major role (given the $), Gillislie and White are doing fine.

I love White. We should use him more in the passing game. As I said Gilly is a good back just not great and if using him more now means we get a fresher Lewis during the second half then it's better for our team.

IMO, Gillislee (he needs a nickname asap) has been hindered by the game plan of our games and by the quality of our Oline.

When he could, he showed some really good burst. He seems a lot quicker than Blount.

He put up 148 yards in one game against the Colts.

Even if he was only getting 3-4 yards per attempt in some other games, he's such a tough guy to bring down that he was wearing down defenses.

Take away the Colts games, in the playoffs he averaged 2.73 yards a carry.

I dont see Gillislee wearing any D down.

Its early.

I strongly disagree. I think he's done a good job so far. His YPC isn't great but I think it's due to more of the fact that we haven't had strong leads too often this year, which means Mike loses chances at getting late game carries to even out his average. Splitting with Lewis and White doesn't help either.

Gillislee looks fine to me.
He is decisive and quick to the hole.
A RB is literally only as good as his blocking.
I see an upgraded RB running with worse blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3