PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Knighton says goodbye?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year they had 4 run-first fatties and Easley as a rusher.

Same thing in 2014.

If you buy the fact that Kuhn is decent vs the run then they have Brown, Branch, Kuhn and Vinny V as the run guys and Johnson as a penetrating DT.

RW, I have been appreciating your tracking of this and comments over the past few weeks. I do think that your dual categorization is oversimplifying the situation; all of these guys are somewhere on a continuum of run and pass rush effectiveness. But yeah, overall, the team may have less weight and more quickness at DT this year.

Drafted in 2009 and already looking for his 4th team.

Roast has had an up down career beginning in Jacksonville. The guy cant stick on teams like the Jags and Skins?

No question that there is a trend there. Beyond his lack of play on the field in pre-season I wonder if his release had more to do with some kind of attitude issue? I hate to jump to that conclusion but you have to wonder of it was a cultural issue and not a performance one

RW, I have been appreciating your tracking of this and comments over the past few weeks. I do think that your dual categorization is oversimplifying the situation; all of these guys are somewhere on a continuum of run and pass rush effectiveness. But yeah, overall, the team may have less weight and more quickness at DT this year.

Thats fine. Thank you.

I'm just trying to keep things simple.

With that said I don't really see Branch as a pass-rushing threat. Brown maybe but hes more of a space guy. Kuhn no. Vinny V TBD but hes a run first guy.

The main objective of the fatties in this D is to control the LoS and consume blockers so Collins, High and Chung can make plays blitzing or shooting gaps.

I'm not sure it would have, this is a guy that's been one and done on lesser rosters, and then had almost no interest from the league in the offseason.

I can see your point actually. I certainly expected him to make the roster when we got him, but there is a history of not sticking.

I certainly expected a year out of him, but it seems he has become superfluous, and if you scratch any deeper, maybe it isn't as much of a surprise, even a while back.

After Friday..we all saw this coming

Most of us saw this coming with him not playing this past week. I'm thinking it's probably good news for Johnson.

Last year they had 4 run-first fatties and Easley as a rusher.

Same thing in 2014.

If you buy the fact that Kuhn is decent vs the run then they have Brown, Branch, Kuhn and Vinny V as the run guys and Johnson as a penetrating DT.

not really........hicks is not a run-first fattie .... at 320, he's the same size as vincent valentine.....

right now, you're looking at
brown (320)
branch (360)
valentine (320)
johnson (285)

and take your pick with
hamilton (315)
kuhn (315)

no lack of size and bigger than most

what I see is the thinkers deciding that Brown is taking the next step, going to be a beast, and is going to be on the field a lot (60-75% of snaps)

branch also takes a lot of snaps and is actually pretty durable.....

to me, it appears that the pats have 2 beefcakes (DT's) on the field 70% of the time last year.....

I think they like what they see with valentine which allows the pats to save $ on knighton.......valentine has show to be pretty mobile/athletic while being pretty stout......I'd want him to get the snaps ove knighton anyway

How did he not outplay Markus Kuhn??? Age really catching up???

extend Freeney and release Knighton....

Knighton says goodbye?

Oh, well... Pot Roast, we hardly knew ye... time to...

burnt-pot.jpg

...clean out his locker. o_O

No question that there is a trend there. Beyond his lack of play on the field in pre-season I wonder if his release had more to do with some kind of attitude issue? I hate to jump to that conclusion but you have to wonder of it was a cultural issue and not a performance one
Kind of lazy to question the guys character with nothing to back it up. You are usually better than that.
The guy just isn't that good. He had one season, which was really just a handful of plays, ands nickname, that got him attention. No personell guy has ever treated like more than a guy who could hang around 7 years by playing for 4 teams.

Sorry to see him go, but I get it. The combo of Pot Roast being dropped off at the Pot Luck and Mingo being picked up from Cleveland are indications that this defense values speed and the ability to play multiple positions over clogging up the middle. I look forward to seeing what Mad Matt has cooked up for Carson Palmer in the opener.

Last edited:
As Reiss says, it sounds like this could be as simple as Knighton never getting the hang of two-gapping. Belichick has specifically said that he worked hard and lost weight, but also that he was being asked to do some new things. It turned out that Valentine showed more two-gapping ability in game 3 than Knighton did in either of the first two.

Hopefully Knighton doesn't join Colts Jets Steelers Ravens Bills and become a thorn in our heel.

Knighton couldn't make the 53 on the Patriots, but he'd probably be the best defense lineman on the Colts lol

I hope they don't sign him

Last edited:
not really........hicks is not a run-first fattie .... at 320, he's the same size as vincent valentine.....

right now, you're looking at
brown (320)
branch (360)
valentine (320)
johnson (285)

and take your pick with
hamilton (315)
kuhn (315)

no lack of size and bigger than most

what I see is the thinkers deciding that Brown is taking the next step, going to be a beast, and is going to be on the field a lot (60-75% of snaps)

branch also takes a lot of snaps and is actually pretty durable.....

to me, it appears that the pats have 2 beefcakes (DT's) on the field 70% of the time last year.....

I think they like what they see with valentine which allows the pats to save $ on knighton.......valentine has show to be pretty mobile/athletic while being pretty stout......I'd want him to get the snaps ove knighton anyway

I agree. Hicks could do both.

Kind of lazy to question the guys character with nothing to back it up. You are usually better than that.
The guy just isn't that good. He had one season, which was really just a handful of plays, ands nickname, that got him attention. No personell guy has ever treated like more than a guy who could hang around 7 years by playing for 4 teams.

I didn't question his character. I questioned his attitude and his fit in the Patriots' culture. Hes been with a number of teams over a fairly short period. Clearly the guy has a problem sticking around.

All Knighton had going for him was a nickname.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes