PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kiwanuka anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically, we're going to end up with one of these (I also put in parenthese my guess as to what kind of career they'll have):

Santonio Holmes (Deion Branch)
Chad Jackson (Jerry Porter)
Manny Lawson (DeMarcus Ware)
Mathias Kiwanuka (Robert Mathis w/o the help of Freeney on the other side)
Chad Greenway (Ben Taylor)
Bobby Carpenter (Mike Vrabel)
DeAngelo Williams (Tiki Barber)
Antonio Cromartie (Poor man's McCalister)
Jimmy Williams (See Above)

now then, based on NEED it should go Wide Reciever, LB's, Corner, Running back, based on what I've heard about Holmes, my official guestimate for the Patriots in the first round is......

Chad Jackson, who is a possession reciever that BB will LOVE, I think we trade up for this guy, if not we take Holmes at 21, but then again, what do I know?

tatepatsfan said:
In the second? I am thinking he might be available at our 2nd round pick with the way he is falling. Could he play OLB in the 3-4? Just an idea.

I saw Kiwi play a lot at BC these last four years and think he'll make a tremendous pro. I think at 21 it'd be a reach to grab him, but I'd love to drop down 10 spots or so, pick up another draft pick, and take him early in the second round. He's got tremendous upside and if not for a cheap shot by UVA's Brad Butler last year, probably would have had an All-American-type season.

Jacky Roberts said:
I saw Kiwi play a lot at BC these last four years and think he'll make a tremendous pro. I think at 21 it'd be a reach to grab him, but I'd love to drop down 10 spots or so, pick up another draft pick, and take him early in the second round. He's got tremendous upside and if not for a cheap shot by UVA's Brad Butler last year, probably would have had an All-American-type season.

I don't believe #21 would be a reach at all. I would even consider trading up for him. I bet he could start next year at OLB and get 10 sacks.

PonyExpress said:
I don't believe #21 would be a reach at all. I would even consider trading up for him. I bet he could start next year at OLB and get 10 sacks.

Once again--we are of the exact same opinion. I could see leapfrogging a few teams to land this dude. He is going to be a beast...

BelichickFan said:
Lawson is interesting but Kiwi comes to us 25 pounds heavier - that's 25 pounds that Lawson would have to put on to play McGinest's spot, right now he is Colvin.

"Sometimes players aren't there at the position you want them, but you can't manufacture them," he said. "You just have to take the player that helps your team the most at that point, even if it's at a position that may not be necessarily the top need." BB

Lawson isn't Colvin and Kiwi isn't McGinest. Lawson will need to bulk up some to play the run, but he's a better player and will be a better OLB.

I think it's Lawson, Wimbley, Kiwi, in that order. They project to the same position, but bring different strengths.

I think what hurt Kiwi's stock the most was the Senior Bowl. In practice drills he got dominated by Ferguson. Granted D'Brickashaw is rated the top OT in the draft but he made Kiwi look like he didn't belong there. I still think he goes late 1st. Over the weekend I emailed Sporting News radio who had a "draft expert" from Ourlad's on. I asked where he projected Kiwi & Tamba Hali. He agreed that Kiwi would probably go late in round one. He had Hali dropping to late in round 2. Prior to the combine Hali was considered a 1st round lock but since then his stock has declined considerably.

For the record I'm against the Pats trading up in round one for anyone. After the top 8-10 players there's very little difference in the next 20 or so prospects.

The Sporting News is saying the reason teams are backing away from Kiwi is because they question his commitment to football. He probably talked to them about his heritage and how he would like to do good someday in Uganda and the NFL front office grinders got ice cream headaches. Lesson #1 on job interview: Don't talk international politics with meathead football types... It'll just confuse them, and when they're confused they don't draft you...

I watched him a lot this year and was unimpressed. Now, maybe that is because of an injury situation. He he doesn't seem to play the run very well. The same can be said about Lawson.

My choice would be Carpenter or Greenway if we stay at #21. There is an outside chance that BB may be convinced that Len-Dale White can be Patriots type of player.

I don't like any WR as a first rounder.

Go for Manny.

Attachments

• 684108568_l.jpg
    684108568_l.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
hah that's awesome! :rocker:

To be fair, this comes from NFLDC message board.

Kiwi is the real deal. I find it hard to beleive that NFL personell give more weight to 1 week of the senior bowl than to 4 years of production in two of college footballs toughest conferences. I'm so tired of hearing how Kiwi didn't fair well against Dabrickishopatshaws Ferguson in the senior bowl. Guess what, Ferguson is so good he's going to shut down Probowl DE's next season. That's why he's going to be picked in the top 5 for crying out loud. The truth is that Kiwi did have an ankle sprain last season that hampered him. Plus if you watch some of the game film, he was double teamed 80% of the time every game. That's why Brian Toal was flying all over the field last year, because Kiwi was tying up more than 1 blocker. He's the real deal and some team is going to take him in the bottom of the first or top of the second and feel like they fooled everyone. Probably the frigin Jets and Baby face Mangini. Damn those Jets to hell I say!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick