• Taylor Price

Votes: 67 65.0%
  • Matthew Slater

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have several receivers who can get open in the middle of the field. Price has the skills and talent to get open on the outside. Much like Jabbar Gafney. So far in preseason both Ocho and Branch haven't been able to win one-on-one. Price has been able to.

Why 5 WRs plus Hernandez and Slater? Plus other nonsense

I was about to start a "Slater was a first team weapon" in game 4 of preseason but decided on a broader topic.
First....... Last night was the first time I had chance to watch the Giants game, and there is my new "boy" Slater taking first team reps at WR and making a big play. Come to think of it, Slater and Mallet were a big play combo early on in preseason.
Watching game 4, two things came to mind when watching Slater carve and slice, shimmy and shake, and announce his presence with authority. ....those are Tate's routes (?) and Slater is killin it....and Slater lookin alot better than our "superstars" Branch and Nocho.

Sure, Slater was first teamin it because of injuries/game 4 sittin it out ....and sure Slater was flexin it verses second string Giants.....I hate it when facts muddy up a forward thinker like myself ( inserting smiley face :) here so humorless oldtimers won't attack with full guns).

Here's my point: this offense seems easy to "get" yet hard to defend. Between the 20's, they like to spread it out and spread the ball around. Woodhead in the backfield keeps Ds honest ...pass/run confusion. Hernandez confusing the LB/DBs causing mismatches. Welker as safety valve and 3rd down go to guy. So why 5 WRs, Hernandez, plus Slater?

In the Red Zone, BB tightens it up going heavy with BJGE burrowing forward and double TEs releasing for the inevitable Gronk endzone celebration. Again why 5 WRs, Hernandez, plus Slater?

The knock on the WR corps after Moss departed was lack of deep speed that opened up the field. Sorry...but Nocho won't be getting seperation based on speed. And Price....limited sample...but he was easily tracked down by a DB after a nice sideline catch and sprint.

So why did BB construct this abundant WR corps? What will Nocho add to the offense if he doesn't have wheels? And why can't my new "boy" Slater be the reserve corps?

The Jets playoff game continues to haunt my dreams....watching the Jets secondary form a tight zone in the middle of the field and Brady trying to get off quick passes in a tight window ...up the middle. My newest dream has Nocho going deep with Revis stride for stride laughing and yelling at BB..."Is this all you got".

So why will this season be different? The one straw I'm grasping at while examining both Nochos skill set and how the Jets aligned themselves against the Pats O is....that Nocho is dam good at working the sidelines....a pass that the Pats offense has been reluctant to deploy over the years (long pass, short yards, INTs can lead to TDs). Think about Brady and the two minute offense...always down the middle using saved timeouts...rarely relying on the sideline to stop the clock. Has BB decided that , instead of extending the field verses the Jets, he will widen the field . The pass rush against Brady will be there, so a quick sideline pass or the threat of the quick sideline pass may be the solution to expand the field and combat that tight zone.

It is a confusing roster as it stands today...10 DL with 2 on the PUP, 2 TEs, S depth issues....and this WR conundrum. Edelman is Welker insurance plus punt guy...so he dresses. Branch always misses games and needs a similar skill set (Nocho)...Nocho is getting paid big coin... both dress...thats 4. Slater dresses because of ST and WR depth now. Looks like Price is in coat and tie. I guess Price will be seen as the future and this year will be another development year with the chance Branch is one and done after this year.

And my new "boy" Slater, I see him on the field making catches this year with the obligatory Troy Brown references attached. Borgy out :) (just for you Ken)

Last edited:
I suspect that many of us forget that a player need to be on the active roster to make an impact. I don't think that Price will be active absent an injury to another of the receivers.

It is NOT a question of whethr Price is higher on the WR receiver depth chart than Edelman or Slater. He may or may not be. For me, the key is that Edelman and Slater will always be active when they are healthy.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that Price will even be active unless there is an injury to one of the top 3. Of course, Edelman and Slater are needed for Special Teams play.

This situation underlines how important it is for backup players to contribute on Special Teams. I think that one WR will inactive in almost every game. Barring an injury to another wide receiver, that player is Price. He may be potentially a future starter, but Price will continue to have trouble getting on the field. Belichick made that choice when he signed Ochocinco.

Are we sure that Ochocinco will be active over Price? :)

Actually, I am pretty sure ...

I like Edelman,however it did seem that TB was looking for Slayter on some deep throws,he made at least two I can remember,we might see this again in the regular season....

If Price can stay healthy he will be a major option for Brady. If not, oh well...

Slater has looked very good in preseason but for now he's here for his ST skills.

As for Edelman, I think this is a make or break year for him and it also depends on his staying healthy and contributing on a consistent basis which he has yet to do in any season he's been here.

If Price can stay healthy he will be a major option for Brady. If not, oh well...

Slater has looked very good in preseason but for now he's here for his ST skills.

As for Edelman, I think this is a make or break year for him and it also depends on his staying healthy and contributing on a consistent basis which he has yet to do in any season he's been here.

I totally disagree on the make or brake concept. Personally, I think Edelman is a great player that happens to play the same position as the greatest slot WR in the NFL. When Edelman is given the chance, he performs. He breaks tackles, follows blocks, and can run well in the open field. Last year was head scratching as far as Edelmans participation. I believe Brady mentioned learning the offense better. Edelman did work with Brady this offseason so we'll see. Welker is in a contract year, concussion issues could reappear, etc....so Edelman serves roles as PR, backup WR, and insurance. Big fan of the Edelperson...I am

Of the three, Slater will probably be the most valuable to the team. As a WR, hopefully Price will see the field most.

Price can stretch the field and will fill a need, whereas Edelman is more of a back-up to Welker, who is on the field most of the time. i think Price breaks out and has over 40 catches for 12+

I love Edelman, but if he wants to last the whole season, he has to know when it is a lost cause and just go down. He takes too many hits and always gets dinged up and as a results we lose his service. Got to play smart too not just tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back