PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jordan Richards . and STAR position

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Jordan was in there over Harris, says a lot about what the coaches think of Harris.....if Harris can't beat out Richards, he doesn't belong on this team. I'm just hoping it was a personnel situation with the Chiefs, and Bill thought Jordan matched up better. Let's hope.

Just like with the Cassius Marsh misplay (and he was fine on several other plays) I think some posters lose perspective on how long a player has been in a new system and how important MLB is to system playbook. Harris has been in this system a couple of weeks. Marsh has 4 days. ...Richards has been in it THREE YEARS.

Harris and Marsh will learn it and get better with time. Richards is showing us his very low ceiling.

This is why Akeem Ayers makes so much sense. He needs to be signed as soon as possible - - either today or on Tuesday (perhaps for NFL contract/roster reasons?).

Also, Ninko's cryptic comments about not fully closing his door a few days ago bear attention.

The sooner they move Richards to a coaching position, the sooner the Patriots can get back to winning.

REALLLLLLLYYYY rooting for Richards to succeed now, just to stuff it in the faces of a few super-scouts here...

Exactly what sport are you watching a Richards play?

dr-renee-richards-makes-backhand-return-as-she-practices-earlier-this-picture-id515247414

Just like with the Cassius Marsh misplay (and he was fine on several other plays) I think some posters lose perspective on how long a player has been in a new system and how important MLB is to system playbook. Harris has been in this system a couple of weeks. Marsh has 4 days. ...Richards has been in it THREE YEARS.

Harris and Marsh will learn it and get better with time. Richards is showing us his very low ceiling.

This is why Akeem Ayers makes so much sense. He needs to be signed as soon as possible - - either today or on Tuesday (perhaps for NFL contract/roster reasons?).

Also, Ninko's cryptic comments about not fully closing his door a few days ago bear attention.

The sooner they move Richards to a coaching position, the sooner the Patriots can get back to winning.

Yeah, I'm not worried about Marsh yet. Him getting thrown in at MLB after four days is like Brissett being thrown in at starting QB last year. There was no way he could possibly be ready, so it's hard to hold the faults against him and to the extent that he displayed some competence that can only be encouraging.

I do find it slightly weird that Harris didn't get some more snaps after Hightower went out, but I'm not dwelling on it or really worried about it. He's a situational player, if the gameplan didn't call for him then it didn't call for him. Richards is what he is, it looks like. I don't think he's athletic enough to ever not be a liability against decent defenses; I really hope playing him at LB is more stopgap than part of the season-long answer. Maybe he'll come on in the future and impress, can't rule it out, but I think at this point the best he can do is establish a baseline that better players can hopefully surpass.

I've been listening closely about Ninkovich too. It's gotta hurt him to see what's happening, and after last night it's clear that we could use him. Even if he's not the player he was last year, 80-90% of 2016 Ninkovich is a significant upgrade to this front 7. If we're still struggling on the edge a couple weeks from now, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him come back.

Ayers would make sense. He actually played a role similar to what HT is supposed to play this year as part de part OLB in 2014.

I could see a 335 base with HT Harris Ayers/van noy at LB.
But we also need to mix in 425 base. I'd like to see Wise branch brown flowers across the DL with HT moving to DE on passing downs and pushing flowers inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what sport are you watching a Richards play?

dr-renee-richards-makes-backhand-return-as-she-practices-earlier-this-picture-id515247414

Stick with the "he's-got-pictures-of-BB theory, else your brain will have to deal with the fact that the Pat's coaching staff apparently doesn't agree with you.

Stick with the "he's-got-pictures-of-BB theory, else your brain will have to deal with the fact that the Pat's coaching staff apparently doesn't agree with you.

All you need to do is watch the game, bub.

Anyone with eyes can see Jordan Richards is not a positional pro football player.

You can try to rationalize all you want.

Anyone with eyes can see Jordan Richards is not a positional pro football player.

I'm not here to defend Richards (with Edelman out and Amendola always hurt I would have kept Carr over him) but for now you have just declared Belichick to not have eyes. We'll see what happens going forward but you can't be this dismissive until something changes.

I'm not here to defend Richards (with Edelman out and Amendola always hurt I would have kept Carr over him) but for now you have just declared Belichick to not have eyes. We'll see what happens going forward but you can't be this dismissive until something changes.
Taking an unathletic Safety and plonking him on the edge where he's going to be exposed to speed coming around the corner is plain and simple, stupid. I'll root for BB's man management but with Richards, he's trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Richards may have a million dollar brain but he's got pennies for athleticism.

Curious of what you saw during the game that makes you think Richards isn't a positional football player.

I did see him give up a TD but that wasn't an athletic issue rather a late decision. Other than that he didn't play that badly.

I will say that I think that LB position needed to be a bit bigger and maybe have Marsh in at the star position rather than a safety hybrid. But as far as Richards goes I thought he played OK.

Anyways just curious.

Taking an unathletic Safety and plonking him on the edge where he's going to be exposed to speed coming around the corner is plain and simple, stupid. I'll root for BB's man management but with Richards, he's trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Richards may have a million dollar brain but he's got pennies for athleticism.

OK. I am not seeing his lack of athleticism. How are you gauging that?

I think he made some mistakes last night and I also think they should have had someone bigger in his position but other than that he played a decent game.

OK. I am not seeing his lack of athleticism. How are you gauging that?

I think he made some mistakes last night and I also think they should have had someone bigger in his position but other than that he played a decent game.
With my eyes?

Richards came into the league with bad instincts. Unable to quickly process or recognize the route that's in front of him.

Lack of instincts. Lack of athleticism. Both.

He doesn't have the closing speed to make up for them.

With my eyes?

What did you see with your eyes? Any specific plays you could share? Or something I could look for on the game film.

Just curious.

Richards came into the league with bad instincts. Unable to quickly process or recognize the route that's in front of him.

Lack of instincts. Lack of athleticism. Both.

He doesn't have the closing speed to make up for them.

I can find two plays in last night's game in which he was possibly at fault. He gave up a TD in which he reacted late and he might have missed a chip on a running back coming out of the back field in which he gave up a first down.

I'm not an expert but that's all I can find. There could very possibly be more.

Other than that he looks like he played ok. The athleticism comments baffle me btw. He made athletic plays, he took on TE blocking, he covered RB's out of the backfield etc.. etc... not sure where that criticism is coming from.

Can you give me any specifics? Thanks.

I can find two plays in last night's game in which he was possibly at fault. He gave up a TD in which he reacted late and he might have missed a chip on a running back coming out of the back field in which he gave up a first down.

I'm not an expert but that's all I can find. There could very possibly be more.

Other than that he looks like he played ok. The athleticism comments baffle me btw. He made athletic plays, he took on TE blocking, he covered RB's out of the backfield etc.. etc... not sure where that criticism is coming from.

Can you give me any specifics? Thanks.

I'll be honest from what I saw he wasn't "bad" but teams will absolutely attack the hell out of him in the passing game.
Look I don't want to single him out as to why we lost. That's just not the case at all.

Jordan Richards is mechanical. Lacks closing speed and instincts.

The TD he gave up shows all of those perfectly.

Again not a terrible game but teams will attack him just like we attack other teams weak links in coverage.

And here I thought they would keep him due to the fact that we lacked an adequate backup behind Chung. I had no idea that he'd be one of the focal points of the entire defense. That was surprising.

If Richards continues to get reps this season, it might pan out that he'll be a solid contributor in the long run. I think it's going to be a rocky few games for him to smooth out his technique and wouldn't expect BB to pull the plug on Richards anytime soon.

Im rooting for him, but he still seems to take bad angles and whiff on tackles too often.

I'll keep saying it but the faster Travis and Jones can show improvement the sooner we can send Richards adrift.

PS reps won't have them replace Richards.

QUOTE="PatriotReign, post: 5082865, member: 30272"]I'll keep saying it but the faster Travis and Jones can show improvement the sooner we can send Richards adrift.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back