PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonas Gray waived by Dolphins/Should Pats sign Gray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gray got a moment in the sun based on some factors that he wouldn't see elsewhere. One must consider that before making Gray something more than he may be.

With that said I am in the camp of 'something else going on'. BB elevated an unheralded Gray above others. I am skeptical he would do that without seeing something he thought would make Gray a productive guy. My hunch is that huge game put Gray into a mode/mindset that really turned off BB and staff (maybe some comments to one or two veterans). A young unheralded guy like him needs to be showing hunger and dedication to his craft at a very high and continuing level to stay in BB's favor. Important note, I don't have anything to back that up -- it's simply my hunch.

The unsung story of the NFL is the many many many guys that are on the cusp of becoming solidly employed by an NFL team only to become 9to5 at a routine occupation somewhere (I worked with a 49er who had a SB ring. We stacked boxes together in a warehouse -- many many years ago). Gray showed he had a reason to be in the NFL. Now Gray needs to show he has a reason to remain in the NFL. In that regard his story isn't uncommon.

With that said I am in the camp of 'something else going on'. BB elevated an unheralded Gray above others. I am skeptical he would do that without seeing something he thought would make Gray a productive guy. My hunch is that huge game put Gray into a mode/mindset that really turned off BB and staff (maybe some comments to one or two veterans). A young unheralded guy like him needs to be showing hunger and dedication to his craft at a very high and continuing level to stay in BB's favor. Important note, I don't have anything to back that up -- it's simply my hunch.

gray sent out a tweet after his alarm clock incident that he quickly deleted:

Jonas Gray Says People 'Turn Their Back' After His Patriots Practice Goof

i think it's indicative of his mindset and how he didn't necessary buy into the patriots' way.

also, did anyone notice how chung kept chirping at him during the dolphins game? it seemed to really get under his skin at one point and he turned to glare at chung. made me wonder if there was some bad blood there.

gray sent out a tweet after his alarm clock incident that he quickly deleted:

Jonas Gray Says People 'Turn Their Back' After His Patriots Practice Goof

i think it's indicative of his mindset and how he didn't necessary buy into the patriots' way.

also, did anyone notice how chung kept chirping at him during the dolphins game? it seemed to really get under his skin at one point and he turned to glare at chung. made me wonder if there was some bad blood there.

Thanks for the reminder of the tweet (I had forgot). I suspect it is indicative of Gray simply falling out of favor with BB and staff. Like it or not that kind of tweet is not the way of BB. When a player, especially an unheralded newby, misses practice then takes an accusatory stance for missing it? Forgetitabout it, that is NOT going to sit well with BB. You better damn well take full responsibility and work even harder to reestablish BB and staff's faith.
And the Chung thing? You might be right. I can see a magazine cover and mass media attention making someone get a swelled head which could elicit some comments to others that would not be well received. While BB isn't know to give a rat's ass where you come from and who you are, I suspect he has great deference for veterans who have been pushing out production for years. If Gray made any comments to them -- IF that happened which I have no evidence it did -- that would likely push Gray so far down BB and staff's ladder that it may not be fixable.

here's the particular play i was referring to:

Thanks for the reminder of the tweet (I had forgot). I suspect it is indicative of Gray simply falling out of favor with BB and staff. Like it or not that kind of tweet is not the way of BB. When a player, especially an unheralded newby, misses practice then takes an accusatory stance for missing it? Forgetitabout it, that is NOT going to sit well with BB. You better damn well take full responsibility and work even harder to reestablish BB and staff's faith.
And the Chung thing? You might be right. I can see a magazine cover and mass media attention making someone get a swelled head which could elicit some comments to others that would not be well received. While BB isn't know to give a rat's ass where you come from and who you are, I suspect he has great deference for veterans who have been pushing out production for years. If Gray made any comments to them -- IF that happened which I have no evidence it did -- that would likely push Gray so far down BB and staff's ladder that it may not be fixable.
Compare and contrast to how Malcolm Butler handled his thing this summer. He had more justification for being annoyed, and yet he just put his head down, took responsibility and worked harder than ever, and clearly Bill thinks /very/ highly of him.

Compare and contrast to how Malcolm Butler handled his thing this summer. He had more justification for being annoyed, and yet he just put his head down, took responsibility and worked harder than ever, and clearly Bill thinks /very/ highly of him.

darrelle revis, too. he took responsibility for being late to a practice and apologized to belichick and the team.

gray's situation reminds me of when adalius thomas was late to a december practice in 2009. he complained about it ("It's not the Jetsons, I can't jump up and just fly.") and was released after the season.

OT: Jonas Gray waived by Dolphins

With Lewis out...hmmm.

Don't think BB cares much about his attitude so probably not....
latest

here's the particular play i was referring to:

Yeah, for me, that seems to suggest that there was a little more to things behind the scenes than we heard about. After all, why would Belichick consider Gray to be such a poor RB that he wouldn't at least be worthy of a PS spot at a position of need?

He had at least proven that he had enough capability to follow his blockers and perform in a big prime time setting without screwing things up. That's more that can be said for some of our past players, particularly as Blount approaches a contract year.

I'm guessing that it was the deadly combo of not having enough talent + having some attitude/work ethic problems, but who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents