PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Miller expects Wilhite to get the nod over Springs at corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Can't we tag and trade??

nope, sorry.

Breaking down Bodden deal - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

According to a league source who has seen the contract, Leigh Bodden's one-year deal with the Patriots is not for the veteran minimum of $750,000, as has been reported by ESPN and NFL.com.

The source said the deal is one year for $2.25 million with $1 million guaranteed. There are no incentives in the deal, a la Shawn Springs, but the deal does include a no-franchise clause, allowing Bodden to test the market again if he has a big season in New England and an extension can't be worked out with the Patriots after the 2009 season.

From what I recall Wilhite was used primarily on slot receivers; I would expect Springs to be on the outside lined up against bigger receivers like Owens. In other words, it's not like either one is starting over the other. I would expect Wheatley and Bodden to be Springs' biggest competitors for playing time, not Wilhite.

This was true to start the season. However, by the end of the season, Wilhite was starting opposite Hobbs.

Wheatley lost a lot of time because of his injury. And he'll have to make up that and more if he is to surpass Wilhite on the Depth Chart.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that one was on Mayo.

It wasn't just on Mayo. It was also on Woods and Vrabel. And, to be honest, it was Woods and Vrabel who were lining up opposite Keller at the line. Not Mayo.

It is something that the defense needs to work on.

I think you can argue whether Hobbs was worthy of starting. Clearly he wasn't, that's why the Pats shipped him off for nothing.

Yet another case where you put 1 and 1 together and get 5...

Hobbs was dealt because he's a UFA at the end of the 2010 season and the Pats needed to get something for him. However, even BB said that, going into the draft, dealing Hobbs hadn't crossed his mind. It was only when Philly approached them, twice, about Hobbs did they decide to make the deal.

Count me among those who will wait to see how the secondary plays out before getting too excited. My personal opinion is that they're going to be much improved, but I also thought Fernando Bryant was going to be a solid starter for us last year (until I saw that "tackle" in preseason).

Our talent and athleticism has been improved for sure, but that doesn't always translate onto the field. It's my number one thing I'll be watching in camp.

Springs would be a fairly expensive nickel/dime corner. I imagine it will be him and Bodden

Yet another case where you put 1 and 1 together and get 5...

Hobbs was dealt because he's a UFA at the end of the 2010 season and the Pats needed to get something for him. However, even BB said that, going into the draft, dealing Hobbs hadn't crossed his mind. It was only when Philly approached them, twice, about Hobbs did they decide to make the deal.

I think we can all agree that Asante was FAR more talented than Hobbs ever was here.

If Asante was in that contract situation this offseason that Hobbs was,no way does BB deal Asante to ANY team until he became a FA.

But back to the subject at hand... I think Miller could very well be right because he has worked under Belichick as a player and he expects BB to go with youth on opening night against Buffalo and Wilhite has the apparent edge right now over Springs in his opinion anyway but I do hear him say from time to time that he keeps in touch with people from the organization so maybe he knows something we don't - but nevertheless,training camp will be the deciding edge regardless of what any analyst thinks right now.

Last edited:
Count me among those who will wait to see how the secondary plays out before getting too excited. My personal opinion is that they're going to be much improved, but I also thought Fernando Bryant was going to be a solid starter for us last year (until I saw that "tackle" in preseason).

Our talent and athleticism has been improved for sure, but that doesn't always translate onto the field. It's my number one thing I'll be watching in camp.

Very well said.

What i see for this year.
Sounds about correct. If someone thinks spring is going to running around all 55-65 snaps a game you are wrong. He is 33 and has some injury issue. I would use him as a matchup based and redzone CB.

Wilhite is in their in the middle and that is big .I also see tank and chung playing the most critical part in the middle of the field where we cannot matchup against TE or Slot receivers. these 3 will have to defend these receiving threats.

Outside bodden is going to start with wheatley/spring combo with bulter is spot relief for both.

Mayo - Last year he was on the field most. I would not have him do this again . I want to cut it down to 80% of the snaps and have a relief LB in their or tank williams.When they drafted a ILB in 3rd rd i was really excited as he was going to save mayo from being over used and run down for playoffs.In 3rd down i will pull mayo out and put thomas ,crable rushing from the outside and roll woods to play the run and cover RB/FB coming from the back field. WHo says their has to be only 2 OLB in the field. I will let thomas or woods rush up the middle .

Woods is going to be the big suprise of this year. Playing the weakside he has avg 5-6 sacks a year and hold good against run. He can do it.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree that Asante was FAR more talented than Hobbs ever was here.
As an intuitive 'big play' maker, yes, as a cover CB, that's not so clear. It always seemed that when the DC wanted someone playing tighter and more physical coverage - similar to the pre-Polian hissy fit coverage - Hobbs seemed to draw that assignment, hence the bad rep for penalties. I wish the NFL would share Coaches' tape with the fans, I know Hobbs shutdown Lee Evans that one game, I'd have liked to have seen that from the pressbox and end zone cameras perspective. It boggles the mind that the NFL is acting like that tape is such a secret, all the opposing teams have it! :explative

What i see for this year.
Sounds about correct. If someone thinks spring is going to running around all 55-65 snaps a game you are wrong. He is 33 and has some injury issue. I would use him as a matchup based and redzone CB.

Wilhite is in their in the middle and that is big .I also see tank and chung playing the most critical part in the middle of the field where we cannot matchup against TE or Slot receivers. these 3 will have to defend these receiving threats.

Outside bodden is going to start with wheatley/spring combo with bulter is spot relief for both.

Mayo - Last year he was on the field most. I would not have him do this again . I want to cut it down to 80% of the snaps and have a relief LB in their or tank williams.When they drafted a ILB in 3rd rd i was really excited as he was going to save mayo from being over used and run down for playoffs.In 3rd down i will pull mayo out and put thomas ,crable rushing from the outside and roll woods to play the run and cover RB/FB coming from the back field. WHo says their has to be only 2 OLB in the field. I will let thomas or woods rush up the middle .

Woods is going to be the big suprise of this year. Playing the weakside he has avg 5-6 sacks a year and hold good against run. He can do it.
Guyton, musn't forget him...and for my money, he was NE's best interior blitzer last season (and yes, I'm including Adalius, who was more effective off the edge).

Springs would be a fairly expensive nickel/dime corner. I imagine it will be him and Bodden

Because the patriots are going to play an inferior player because hes paid more? I think not. They're smarter than that.

If Wilhite is the better player, he'll start. If not, springs will.

jim miller is dead wrong here...jonathon wilhite was so brutal last year, whether it was man or zone his coverage was so poor....heres the best cb depth for us to win a super bowl!

Bodden1
Terrence wheatley2
springs3 --situational 1 and 2
Darius butler4
mike richardson or love 5 unless wilhite has improved tremendously

wilhite, richardson, or love will be cut--hopefully wilhite or richardson

im so high on wheatley---hes cover skills are going to surprise everyone this year btw and he'll be the obvious 1 or 2 cb for this team and a future probowler!

jim miller is dead wrong here...jonathon wilhite was so brutal last year, whether it was man or zone his coverage was so poor....heres the best cb depth for us to win a super bowl!

Bodden1
Terrence wheatley2
springs3 --situational 1 and 2
Darius butler4
mike richardson or love 5 unless wilhite has improved tremendously

wilhite, richardson, or love will be cut--hopefully wilhite or richardson

Willhite performed well last year. (4 starts, 24 tkls, 2 PD. 1 INT.) No way will he be cut.

Last edited:
Guyton, musn't forget him...and for my money, he was NE's best interior blitzer last season (and yes, I'm including Adalius, who was more effective off the edge).

Guyton was good covering leon washington who most teams had no answer for.He is good in a role of this . I do not want this guy gaining any weight and loss speed. More teams have a special matchup issue guy who are fast and too big for CB.

Guyton was good covering leon washington who most teams had no answer for.He is good in a role of this . I do not want this guy gaining any weight and loss speed. More teams have a special matchup issue guy who are fast and too big for CB.
He can afford to gain a little weight. I'm sure Woicik and Nash can add muscle mass and not lose any quickness/speed, more likely they can bulk him up a bit and improve his quickness/speed.

It always amuses me when people equate strength with mass, and then go on to assume that if you're stronger, you're slower. As an avid fitness buff, I can guarantee you that's not the case, provided you train well. I'm only 5'7, and while my average weight is around 175 or so, during peak physical activity, I quickly add 20+ pounds. Do I look much bulkier? Not really. Am I more powerful? Absolutely. Ironically, because I build strength through dynamic strength training, with a heavy emphasis on isokinetics and explosive, full-body movements, I also increase my flexibility, quickness, agility, etc. By training properly, I'm able to recruit more muscle fibres to become fast-twitch muscle, which enables sudden, explosive movement.

People have to get it out of their heads that NFL players do nothing but pump iron. Nutrition and exercise have become sciences, with a focus on bio-mechanics and a keen understanding of what is holistically healthy. Old methods are falling out of favor, and new, safe, effective methods are taking their place.

I do parkour, gymnastics, capoeira, dance, physical theatre, swimming, crossfit, bouldering, slacklining, and a variety of other disciplines in order to improve all areas of my physicality. I'll never "max out" because I can always improve something. While I'm not a professional athlete, I am far, far more fit than the average weekend workout warrior. Yet I am not even close to hitting my full potential, and I look forward to the continual improvements I'll make. Besides, men don't fully mature, physically, until their mid-to-late twenties, so I still have a few more years before my body is even fully formed. The same is true for NFL athletes.

One last thought. Whether you like Ray Lewis or not (I'm not a big fan), it's inarguable that he's been a prolific and intimidating presence in the middle for many years. He's 6'1, 250, and as solidly built as any LBer I've seen. Yet, when he entered the league, he only weighed 230, and was considered an undersized overachiever. His coaches had him add about 5 pounds a year so his body would acclimate effectively, which means he took at least four years to get into the physical shape they expected from him. Funny how we're so impatient with our own players, expecting them to turn into superstars overnight.

Take it slow. Cultivate a long-term view of football--and of life. Trust me, it's much healthier. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes