PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Leonhard out for jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is time to unleash Gronk and Hernandez and attack their safeties .

Wasn't he one of their best ST guys? This might help with the return game, which has not been as strong of late.

Affect the Jets' special teams also.

New York Jets' Jim Leonhard to miss Patriots game with 'severe' shin injury - ESPN New York

The New York Jets defense suffered a huge blow Friday, when safety Jim Leonhard suffered a severe shin injury during a practice collision.

Leonhard, the glue to the secondary, won't play Monday night in New England, Jets coach Rex Ryan announced.

"Terrible news," Ryan said, clearly shaken.

Ryan said he's "assuming" there is a fracture, but test results weren't immediately available. Ryan called it a "severe" injury.

Leonhard collided with receiver Patrick Turner during a team drill. The Jets will start Brodney Pool and Eric Smith at safety.

Leonhard is valuable because, among other reasons, he calls the defensive signals. He's also the No. 1 punt returner.

Wasn't he the guy that gave Welker that BS cheapshot that pretty much took Welker out the rest of the first game?

Helps Branch and Welker for sure.....also takes away from Jets run support since Leonhard was good at that also.

this is a devastating blow to the jets.

he is 3 punt returner in the nfl, and calls signals in the secondary..... which a secondary that already had issues with signal calling.

Wasn't he the guy that gave Welker that BS cheapshot that pretty much took Welker out the rest of the first game?

no that was eric smith. eric smith who is replacing jimmy, and he kinda sucks.

Last edited:
He is dangerous on punt returns, aside from being a solid safety. I don't even know the name of the guy who'll play in his stead.

Never enjoy the injuries of players no matter I hate the team they are on. Sorry to hear he is injured and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

funny-pictures-cat-thinks-he-is-better-than-you.jpg

I like the kid, the kind of undersized overachiever you root for. Too bad, hope he comes back next year.

If it is season-ending, I wonder if the Jets IR and activate Crable. I wouldn't put it past Rex to activate Crable and make him a Captain for this game. He names his captains game-to-game, and likes to name players who used to play on the team. He did so with Kevin O'Connell against the Pats last year.

It is a bad blow.

More so for this week as the gameplan was already in (with Jimmy calling it on every defensive snap).

Pool/Smith have been blamed for much of the Jets miscommunication issues back there.

This is a huge help to the Pats offense.

Now that said, the Pats have dealt with major injuries. As did the Jets (Jenkins, Pace, etc). Next man up. If you have a good team, prove it.

I root for injuries to Jets' player every time they step onto the field. Nothing life or career threatening, of course, but I'm not going to shed any tears because a rich man is going to lose ten games because of an injury. Sorry if that's being classless, bu those dudes make a lot of money, most of them are jerks and they play for the Jets. That's reason enough for it not to weigh on my conscience if I cheer every time they fall awkwardly and twist their knees.

Every time you guys think about feeling sorry for another team's injuries you should remember all those "Thank you, Bernard Pollard!" t-shirts.

Last edited:
Huge loss for them. Can't say I'll shed a tear though. Hopefully this helps the Pats win.

That is a tough loss for them, but no worse than the losses New England has had to endure. Hope he recovers fully and can play nest year.

Thats a significant blow to that D. Ryan loves the kid.

Not sure why it matters what some fan on a Pats message board thinks of a players injury or not. Said fans opinion certainly isn't going to have a bearing on the outcome of the game.

With this in mind, I would love to end up seeing additional Jests players not suit up for this game as it would possibly make it easier for the Pats to win.

too bad leonhard sucks

Re: Jim Leonard out for jets

Big blow to the Jets going against a great passing O like the Pats. He was the QB to our Defense.

Pretty much. He's the Rodney Harrison of the Jets. Can't say that I'm going to lose sleep over this, though I wouldn't wish serious injury on him. Hope he's alright because that injury sure does sound serious.

Can't say I feel the same way as a lot of you folks. As they say, Ill will is a double-edged sword, and best left in its scabbard.
Leonhard is a uniform change away from being one of my favorite safeties. Hope he gets better so we can beat the Jets in their entirety.

Wasn't he one of their best ST guys? This might help with the return game, which has not been as strong of late.

Leonhard is sixth in the league in punt return yards this year. He is ninth in the league in tackles among all safeties.

The general mood on Gang Green is that Eric Smith is a big downgrade at safety.

Slightly off-topic, I thought this post there was hilarious:

Talk about luck, Pats keep facing teams with key injuries.

This ruined my ****** day. We still got this win though.

Yeah, the Pats are so lucky losing Warren, Bodden, McGown, Faulk, Kaczur, Gostkowski, Neal and others to the IR. Plus playing half the season without their All-Pro left guard, and having their All-World receiver turn into a pumpkin.

Can't say I feel the same way as a lot of you folks. As they say, Ill will is a double-edged sword, and best left in its scabbard.
Leonhard is a uniform change away from being one of my favorite safeties. Hope he gets better so we can beat the Jets in their entirety.

Indeed, rejoicing in the injuries of others is an invitation to Karma to intercede. Don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft