PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Fassel and the ultimate WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
This list is too black and white. If a WR has the measurables the only thing they need is good hand-eye coordination.

BTW, Roy Williams has better hands than Fitz. They are enormous. Watch tomorrow.

I think Torry Holt or Chad Johnson can best route runners. Johnson make corners look foolish.

Stats do not support the claim that Moss is even close to having the best hands in the league. One spectacular catch, does not over shadow the routine drops... Remember, he has played in the league before this year. Sometimes you forget he has been in the league for 10 years.

This was taken from ESPN Nov 9, 2006

"Sure handed
Here are the players who have the surest hands this season, according to Stats Inc. (two or fewer drops, minimum 60 times targeted):
Player Pass atempts Drops
Torry Holt 87 0
Andre Johnson 77 0
Lee Evans 68 0
Laveranues Coles 76 1
Roy Williams 76 1
Keyshawn Johnson 68 1
Mike Furrey 62 1
Muhsin Muhammad 62 1
Wes Welker 60 1
Marvin Harrison 79 2
Marques Colston 73 2
Hines Ward 70 2
Kellen Winslow 65 2

"You'd think Randy Moss couldn't catch a cold in winter the way he dropped balls Monday night against the Seahawks. He also struggled the previous week against Pittsburgh and two weeks ago against Arizona. And then you have Terrell Owens dropping a sure touchdown Sunday in a loss in Washington. Two weeks before that, he dropped an easy one that would have converted a fourth down and kept a late rally going against the Giants.

Moss and Owens once dominated discussions about the game's best receivers. Now, it seems, we're talking about their drops more than their touchdown catches."

"Marvin Harrison: His acrobatic touchdown catch Sunday night against the Patriots speaks for itself."

This was taken from ESPN Nov 9, 2006
Moss and Owens once dominated discussions about the game's best receivers. Now, it seems, we're talking about their drops more than their touchdown catches.

That was just last year dude...LOL

Try listing the stats for all the years they have played...maybe then you can prove something...

Hands Like: Randy Moss
Built Like: Terrell owens
Runs Like (route): Marvin Harrison
Speed Like: Steve Smith
Ethics Like: Troy Brown

Hands Like: Randy Moss
Built Like: Terrell owens
Runs Like (route): Marvin Harrison
Speed Like: Steve Smith
Ethics Like: Troy Brown

With ethics like Troy, you are making both an offensive and defensive monster. Imagine a starting CB like moss.

Funny last year one of the knocks on Moss was his route running.

You are going to tell me that Moss has better hands than Larry Fitzgerald. Moss is having a great year, but Fitzgerald is the guy that most coaches, GM, or whoever would choose. Moss is having a wonderful year, but his hands are not as good as Fitzgerald.

Funniest post I've read this year.

Moss's elbow is better at catching balls than both of Fitzgerald's hands.

We'll, here are some stats from this year.

Randy Moss has dropped 3 passes this season and has 66 receptions.
TO has dropped 5 passes this season and has 58 receptions.
So moss has 1 drop per 22 receptions, TO has 1 drop per 11.6 receptions.

Randy Moss has caught 66 of the 92 passes that targeted him (thats 71.7%).
To has caught 58 of the 98 passes that targeted him (thats 59.1%)

So clearly Moss has had the better hands this season.

Also just as a side note, Wes Welker has caught 80% of the passes that targeted him.

Oh and Jack P Miller, you are WAY off about Larry Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald has had the ball thrown to him 109 times this season, but he has only caught 67 of the passes. That is 61% reception rate. Just to refresh your memory, Moss has caught 71.7% of the passes thrown to him. Oh, and over 50 NFL recievers have higher reception rate than him...

Lets just compare Randy Moss career stats to Larry Fitzgerald.
TD/G Yds/G Yds/Rec Rec/G
Moss: 0.79 79.4 15.8 5.0
LF: 0.51 73.5 13.6 5.4

So Moss has put up better numbers while averaging less receptions per game. He put up better numbers through almost 10 seasons, including the 2 he took off in Oakland, than Fitzgerald has done in his first 4 season (in his prime)

So, lets compare Randy Moss's first for seasons to Larry Fitzgerald.

Moss:
Rec Yds Y/R TD
98: 69 1313 19.0 17
99: 80 1413 17.7 11
00: 77 1437 18.7 15
01: 82 1233 15.0 10

LF:
Rec Yds Y/R TD
04: 58 780 13.4 8
05: 103 1409 13.7 10
06: 69 946 13.7 6
07: 67 907 13.5 4

OR
TD/G Yds/G Y/R Rec/G
Moss: 0.83 84.3 17.6 4.8
LF: 0.51 73.5 13.6 5.4

So Randy Moss, in his first 4 years (prime) DOMINATED far more than Fitzgerald has so far (and this is per game and reception), WHILE getting almost 1 less reception per game.

I'm sorry JackPMiller, but your argument has just been destroyed.

Last edited:
I don't like Owens. And he will not be on any "of my" lists.

I had to correct that for you.

Hint: Don't ever say a player will not be on any lists when you have zero significance on who will or will not be on any list.

All you can do is state your opinion. Make sure you make your statements in that manner.:cool:

Last edited:

Fitzgerald has had the ball thrown to him 109 times this season, but he has only caught 67 of the passes. That is 61% reception rate. Just to refresh your memory, Moss has caught 71.7% of the passes thrown to him. Oh, and over 50 NFL recievers have higher reception rate than him...

You can't use that measuring stick because it's to vague. First, there has to be a minimum # of passes thrown to a receiver or opportunities. Second, what was the weather like...third, was there someone draped all over the receiver...fourth, how accurate was the pass and should it "really" have been caught?

Nah, you can't use that BS statistic at all. It tells us NOTHING!:rolleyes:

You can't use that measuring stick because it's to vague. First, there has to be a minimum # of passes thrown to a receiver or opportunities. Second, what was the weather like...third, was there someone draped all over the receiver...fourth, how accurate was the pass and should it "really" have been caught?

Nah, you can't use that BS statistic at all. It tells us NOTHING!:rolleyes:

I dissagree. We are arguing about who has the better hands. I think that Randy Moss catches a higher % of balls thrown his way BECAUSE he has such great hands. He makes catches that almost no other receivers can make. I think that is very valid. Moss can catch ball that are over/under thrown, bad passes, and jump balls.

Catching the ball is more than just hands, its actually has alot to do with intelligence at that position. Meaning you need to constantly calculate the intangibles to make a catch. There are literreally hundreds and hundreds of intagibles a WR must process to determine what kind of adjustments he needs to make to give him the best possible scenario to get the ball. BB and practically every other coach have all determined Moss to be the best in this category. As a fan it is pretty evident how talented Moss is when dealing with "jump balls". Larry Fitzgerald, though a terrific WR, is no where close to Moss's level. I think everyone on this planet would take Moss 10/10 times, save maybe for Larrys mother.

Last edited:
Yep. All you really need to do is look at the stats. Moss has put up amazing stats that are as good (some better) than Jerry Rice. And we all know that Jerry Rice was the best ever (Maybe years down the road Moss will earn the #1 spot). Fitzgerald hasn't put up numbers even close to Moss.

Marvin Harrison the toughest? Why? Because he doesn't take hits but just hits the turf? I want a guy like Anquan Boldin that wants to bury the DB 6 feet under.

And I also think Tory Holt is the best route runner and in the conversation for best hands. Prior to this year, Holt was the best receiver in football.

Hands: Moss
Route runner: Holt
Explosiveness: Smith
Strongest (or run after catch): Owens or Boldin
Blocking: Ward or Chambers
Redzone traget: Edwards
Leaping: Chambers or Moss (and same applies for body control.)

Last edited:

That stat is complete BS. How can you judge a receiver on a pass the QB missed him on? A lot of people that claimed Chambers "sucked" used this stat but fail to mention he was also the most mis-targeted WR in all of the NFL. These stats are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case