PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Forgotten talent to keep in mind when mocking the draft and free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well because there are so many roster spots on a team. Armstead is a player who everyone was very high on in 2013; he unfortunately suffered some type of non-football illness. Last year the team released Deaderick and Love after the first OTAs that Armstead participated in, the belief out camp was that he was extremely impressive.

If you look at the mock drafts many of them have us taking Tuitt or another DT with our first pick, Tuitt is a 6’5” 300LB DT, Armstead is also a 6’5” 300LB DT. If the team feels Armstead is ready to go is the need to draft at DT at #29 still there?

That's the new shiny object phenomenon. Happens every draft. And you're absolutely right - when I played around with the draft simulator, the thing that kept jumping out at me was "fill the holes before you draft!" If Tuitt and Armstead were side by side in the draft, both healthy, who would you take?
THat's an honest question.

T.J. Moe killed it at combine - best 3-cone and shuttle, 26 bench reps. His 40 was slow, as in Welker territory. He's got, or at least had, the skill set to be a good slot receiver. He very well could back up Danny Amendola there if JA leaves.

If Armstead were in this draft, people would have him probably in the 2nd round. And even though he missed last year, he's played at the CFL level, and played very well there. I think a team like the Pats, drafting low every year, would do well to keep their eyes north. CFL is just another tool in building a roster.

Grissom looked good last year in camp. He's a space-eater. He's not a star, but he can hold his ground and so take snaps from VW. His biggest problem has been injuries.

Harrison physically reminds me of Demarius Thomas. Speed, size, length it's all there. Which means little if he can't put it to use. Point is, though he's certainly got the physical talent to play in the NFL.

You don't simply discount players because they haven't exploded at the NFL level, either due to injuries or some other issue. Sure, Bequette and Tayvon Wilson are probably on their last legs. Beauharnais and Buchanon certainly aren't, and neither are the guys above.

We need more pass rush plain and simple.
If any of the three defensive lineman can produce it be a big plus for us to have the luxury to not take a d lineman early.
I like Hageman but that's about it I don't love the fact that he has a questionable desire and motor but Bill should be able to light a fire under him he has Seymour JJ Watt potential.
I am intrigued by Harrison Moe and Dunn.
If we dont re up Edelman or land Sanders I like Brandon Cooks not only because of the ridiculous speed he has but he has experience in the screen game has sure hands and his ceiling is deon Branch Percy Harvin his floor is Brandon Tate.
Not bad if he can be had in the second also he has great vision and anticipation to see the holes as they develop and has good yac ability.
I still feel priority is the offensive line and if we can't find common ground with Talib, sign Munnerlyn and draft a defensive back early.
My pass rush fix is simple Michael Johnson and draft another edge rusher in the middle rounds.
I like Dee Ford he brings tenacity and swagger to a defense lacking in that department I wouldnt be surprised that BB passes on him based on his Clowney remarks but I agree with him I do think he will be the better pro overall.
His commitment to film and love for the game should catupult him up our draft boards.
But I'm afraid the Jets Browns Ravens Steelers will target him if we have a chance to land him and pass that would be a huge mistake because he reminds me of a Bart Scott type player a guy who annoys the hell out of us but typically bests us.

I know Bequette as an example is an enigma to all of us but I have to believe Belichick is retaining him for something he sees in him for the future.

In 2013, the "plan" was "a warm body" to exploit in practice...then bypass for an aging FA coming off of injury (Carter) come game time. The real enigma was how thin NE was at DL heading into the season.

We need more pass rush plain and simple.

Biggest need in FA for the Pats, imo, is a solid, pass-rushing DE. I have a feeling Jared Allen might be finishing his career in New England.

I'd be tickled if they got a Houston or Johnson, but that's just not he way they play FA, typically.

The real "forgotten" man in this equation for next season is Sealver Siliga. Guy came up huge for us at the end of the season and played extremely well at stopping the run. I look forward to seeing this guy develop.

Have not forgotten Silliga thats why I believe Wilfork could be expendable. Free up cap for Johnson Who Bekichick wanted badly last season.
Very telling that we didn't make a offer on another premium pass rusher its appearant Johnson was BBs guy all along him and Chandler would be a dream and opposing QBs nightmares. I personally would let Talib walk to get Johnson but I think Wilfork, Sopoga are gone.

In 2013, the "plan" was "a warm body" to exploit in practice...then bypass for an aging FA coming off of injury (Carter) come game time. The real enigma was how thin NE was at DL heading into the season.

I do not think it was about a warm practice body. He could have kept a player like Benard who was productive as a backup in Arizona this past season. I believe Belichick is intrigued by the physical talent Bequette offers and is trying to develop him.

Jake Bequette –
- Combine Invite: Yes
- Height: 6045
- Weight: 274
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.75
- 20 Yard Dash: 2.70
- 10 Yard Dash: 1.66
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: No bench, shoulder
- Vertical Jump: 34
- Broad Jump: 09'05"
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.07
- 3-Cone Drill: 6.90

Jason Pierre Paul –
- Height: 6046
- Weight: 270
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.71
- 20 Yard Dash: 2.69
- 10 Yard Dash: 1.65
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
- Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
- Broad Jump: 09'07"
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.67
- 3-Cone Drill: 7.18

Chandler Jones –
- Height: 6053
- Weight: 266
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.77
- 20 Yard Dash: 2.73
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
- Vertical Jump: 35
- Broad Jump: 10'00"
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.38
- 3-Cone Drill: 7.07

Ezekiel Ansah –
- Height: 6052
- Weight: 271
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.56
- 20 Yard Dash: 2.66
- 10 Yard Dash: 1.62
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
- Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
- Broad Jump: 09'10"
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.26
- 3-Cone Drill: 7.11

As an athlete Bequette is an interesting prospect, it appears that will never translate into success at the NFL level but I can certainly see why Belichick has not yet given up on him.

The real "forgotten" man in this equation for next season is Sealver Siliga. Guy came up huge for us at the end of the season and played extremely well at stopping the run. I look forward to seeing this guy develop.

Have not forgotten Silliga thats why I believe Wilfork could
be expendable. Free up cap for Johnson Who Bekichick wanted badly last season.
Very telling that we didn't make a offer on another premium pass rusher its appearant Johnson was BBs guy all along him and Chandler would be a dream and opposing QBs nightmares. I personally would let Talib walk to get Johnson but I think Wilfork, Sopoga are gone.

I have not forgotten Siliga; I have him as almost certain for the 53-man roster if he continues what he did at the end of 2013.

That is why I did not include him on this list, as well as Chris Jones and Michael Buchanan.

I don't see anything on that list that would impact the Pats moves in free agency or the draft. It's probably a long shot that anyone on that list even makes the opening day roster.

I have faith that Bequette somehow squeaks in. Think he has spy photos of Belichick doing something highly illegal. As for Armstead, I hope the team doesn't give up on him yet. Very talented prospect coming out of college. I'd like to see what he's got.

Armond Armstead, DT

Never seen the field as a patriot in the regular season. Great if he becomes a player but you cant alter your plans for draft and free agency based on a player who had a special medical issue and has never seen the field.

Mark Harrison, WR
Corey Grissom, DT –
TJ Moe, WR –
DJ Williams, TE –
Chris Barker, OG –
Sam McGuffie, RB/WR –
Reggie Dunn, WR/KR –
Steve Beauharnais, LB

Long shots to be anything other than backups, if that. You cant depend on them. Is there a chance that one may stand out? Sure. Can you go into the season depending on that? Not in my opinion.

Jake Bequette, DE
Marcus Fortson, DT –

They may be cut soon. That tells you how much you can depend on them.

With the exception of Armstead, who I believed would be an impact player last season and I expect the same (if healthy) in 2014 the other players are relevant when you look at the late rounds of the draft. When you look at a Mark Harrison who is here already you have to decide if you want to proceed with developing him or take a player like Coleman and start over trying to develop him, another example would be Grissom would you draft a Zach Kerr and develop him from the beginning or would you continue to develop Grissom. Therefore, it is not so much that you keep these players in mind when drafting in the first three or four rounds, and when you are signing notable UFAs, these players are ones you keep in mind when you are building out the bottom of the roster.

With 90 bodies in camp to begin with, does anyone have a count on how many are already signed by Pats. I know this figure will decrease/increase as FA's are signed or released but I sure would like to see BB pkg some picks this draft to move up and grab a couple of players he feels have a good shot to be starting or solid backups at some point this coming season.

Pats already have a young roster and don't need alot of rookie draft picks in camp that probably won't make the team anyway. Sign UDFA's to fill out your camp roster.

Beauharnais will be there. Armstead will be a huge disappointment if he's not on the roster. They paid Moe extra money for a reason and Harrison has a skill set unlike any other WRs on the team.

Several on that list will be opening day, I'll bet. Grissom has a shot, too.

How can an UDFA not making the roster be a huge disappointment?

Personally, Armstead and Harrison are the only ones on that list, IMO, who have any real shot at becoming more than bit players. And I'm not betting on either of them. They'll be a pleasant surprise if they amount to anything. Armstead basically brings the same skill-set as Chris Jones and (to a lesser extent) Vellano, and will probably have to beat out both of them to make the roster. Harrison addresses a real need, giving the Pats a second big, outside threat in case Dobson goes down again. But given the questions surrounding his route-running and work ethic, he would have to show up big time in camp to earn a spot. If he can do that, though, physically he has a lot of tools that Thompkins simply can't match.

Beauharnais and Moe may find their way onto the roster and be viable, if limited, backups. But I'm hoping in a huge way that Beaharnais never sees regular snaps on defense; he's just too slow. Meanwhile, Moe may theoretically find his way into the slot if Edelman walks and Amendola/Boyce get hurt again, at which point he might put up pretty good numbers since it's virtually impossible not to as a slot receiver with Brady as your QB.

On a side note, I'm willing to bet basically anything that Bequette won't be on the opening day roster.

I do not think it was about a warm practice body. He could have kept a player like Benard who was productive as a backup in Arizona this past season. I believe Belichick is intrigued by the physical talent Bequette offers and is trying to develop him.

Jake Bequette –
- Height: 6045
- Weight: 274
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.75
- 20 Yard Dash: 2.70
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: No bench, shoulder
- Vertical Jump: 34
- Broad Jump: 09'05"
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.07
- 3-Cone Drill: 6.90

Jason Pierre Paul –
- Height: 6046
- Weight: 270
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.71
- 20 Yard Dash: 2.69
- 10 Yard Dash: 1.65
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
- Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
- Broad Jump: 09'07"
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.67
- 3-Cone Drill: 7.18

Chandler Jones –
- Height: 6053
- Weight: 266
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.77
- 20 Yard Dash: 2.73
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
- Vertical Jump: 35
- Broad Jump: 10'00"
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.38
- 3-Cone Drill: 7.07

Ezekiel Ansah –
- Height: 6052
- Weight: 271
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.56
- 20 Yard Dash: 2.66
- 10 Yard Dash: 1.62
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
- Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
- Broad Jump: 09'10"
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.26
- 3-Cone Drill: 7.11

As an athlete Bequette is an interesting prospect, it appears that will never translate into success at the NFL level but I can certainly see why Belichick has not yet given up on him.

Bequette would literally have to have one of the greatest camps EVER to make this team, I'm talking BEAST mode, 1 or 2 sacks per exhibition game, 2 or 3 tackles a game behind the line of scrimmage, etc. Unfortunately, there is NOTHING I've seen to suggest he could do that.

Personally, Armstead and Harrison are the only ones on that list, IMO, who have any real shot at becoming more than bit players. And I'm not betting on either of them. They'll be a pleasant surprise if they amount to anything. Armstead basically brings the same skill-set as Chris Jones and (to a lesser extent) Vellano, and will probably have to beat out both of them to make the roster. Harrison addresses a real need, giving the Pats a second big, outside threat in case Dobson goes down again. But given the questions surrounding his route-running and work ethic, he would have to show up big time in camp to earn a spot. If he can do that, though, physically he has a lot of tools that Thompkins simply can't match.

Beauharnais and Moe may find their way onto the roster and be viable, if limited, backups. But I'm hoping in a huge way that Beaharnais never sees regular snaps on defense; he's just too slow. Meanwhile, Moe may theoretically find his way into the slot if Edelman walks and Amendola/Boyce get hurt again, at which point he might put up pretty good numbers since it's virtually impossible not to as a slot receiver with Brady as your QB.

On a side note, I'm willing to bet basically anything that Bequette won't be on the opening day roster.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison just may wind up at TE. I can see him becoming another Julius Thomas (Denver TE).

I have heard a lot of talk about Armstead, but I think the best way to move forward is to expect nothing from him. Seriously, he has been out of football for a year and has not seen an NFL practice field. We know nothing about the details of his infection. I have tried really hard to do some research on this but there are no details out there.

Here is what I do know. He had a heart attack as a result of Toradol. He was been out for a year with some mysterious illness or infection. It would be likely that the two are related. His infection required surgery. There are only a few infections that actually require surgery. I remember reading somewhere that his heart attack left his heart in a state where he would require a defibrillator or pacemaker. those pacemaker sites can get infected. That would require surgery and put him out for the year. MRSA would be a common bacteria if that were the case.

If he had some other unrelated infection or illness, then he's just a health hazard period on top of his history of heart attack.

Some speculation to think about.

Bam Childress
Scout.com: Patriots Release WR Bam Childress, Add Seven

Wide receiver Bam Childress, a survivor of the initial rounds of roster cuts, saw his luck run out Sunday when the Patriots front office put a claim in for former Buffalo Bills receiver Jonathan Smith. The Patriots originally signed Childress as an undrafted rookie free agent on July 24, 2005. He spent the '05 season on the practice squad until the season finale against Miami where he caught three passes for 32 yards. The 5-foot-8, 180-pound Ohio State product led all Patriots receivers in the 2006 preseason with 11 catches for 214 yards.

I don't think of Armstead that way - it's not really the case. Medical issues made him ineligible for the 2011 season (and he sued USC). After the 2010 season, he had been projected as a 2nd round NFL pick.

So everything went south and Armstead went north, and performed very well in Canada. The Pats were one of several teams going after him.

Here's a really good read on the situation ("the shot"...hmm, given Seattle's PED history of late, I think Pete Carroll brings around some doctors with him...).

2013 New England Patriots: The Unconventional Addition of Armond Armstead | Bleacher Report

I've watched the tapes on him, read the reports on him, and honestly, he just seems like a guy who won't quit, after getting hit with some of the most ridiculous bad luck I've ever heard of for an athlete. I'll be very disappointed if he can't make the club and contribute this year.

I've watched the tapes on him, read the reports on him, and honestly, he just seems like a guy who won't quit, after getting hit with some of the most ridiculous bad luck I've ever heard of for an athlete. I'll be very disappointed if he can't make the club and contribute this year.

You'll love the Amendola threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST