PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets tried to get Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's simple, really. Woodhead was cut in favor of a guy who had no NFL stats (McKnight) because he had no NFL stats.

The really funny thing is how he's trying to use McKnight/Woodhead as an example of why you sometimes keep a player due to upside, when in reality it's basically a case study in the opposite. The Jets can have McKnight's upside; I'm sure Belichick would take Woodhead's realized talent any day of the week.
Translation

"Upside" = I have no f-ing clue why

What does any of that have to do with your comments about Bodden?
Bodden was the starting corner on this team and he missed the entire season. You seem to think that because your knowledge is thin and you forgot who he was that makes his loss insiignificant.
Was Jim Leonhards loss significant to the Jets? He's a 'journeyman'

He forgot about Leonhard too, so I think the real takeaway here is that he only knows who the stars are.

No, I haven't lost anything.
If not making a single legitimate point and being unable to dismiss any point I made isn't losing, you are doing just fine.

You brought up his stats, he didn't have any stats when the Jets released him.
No, I showed the level of play Woodhead is capable of. I described it first then illustrated it with statistics.
You seem to think that the player becomes what the stats are. He was the guy who produced those stats the day Rex chose Clowney instead.

You're essentially saying the Jets were stupid for releasing him because YOU knew how he would perform for the Pats once obtained.
No I am saying they were wrong because he DID play that way.
And I am concluding they were stupid because they should have been able to see it,

You can't be serious with this bull****?
You really think that coaches and GMs are not supposed to be able to evaluate who is a better player?

Just the same as if I said that the Pats are stupid and arrogant for releasing Tate and keeping Price, would be equally as stupid.
If Tate goes on the be a STUD WR and Price does nothing then you would certainly be right to call the move stupid, but that hasnt happened. It has with Woodhead and McK.
I don't know why it would be arrogant, since the arrogance (which I dont think was ever my word btw) was to keep the draft choice over the better player simply because he was a draft choice.

He forgot about Leonhard too, so I think the real takeaway here is that he only knows who the stars are.

If that makes you feel better I guess... :rolleyes:

The argument was about star power missing from our teams respective line-ups, but I suppose you really don't recall what the argument was about, you couldn't ignore the opportunity to pile on the Jet fan posting on the Patriot board and thump your chest. :cool:

Well he knows the names and knows how to make it sound like they must be good.
35 yards and 1.9 a carry is good and the guy 'flashed'
Being a backup who doesnt see the field for 3 years is a 'valuable backup who can play 3 positions'.
Claiming 7 guys off waivers isnt a sign of lack of depth, losing FAs
(ironcally one of the reasons they lack depth) is proof they have depth. yada, yada, yada, everything is wonderful in New Jersey.

If that makes you feel better I guess... :rolleyes:

The argument was about star power missing from our teams respective line-ups, but I suppose you really don't recall what the argument was about, you couldn't ignore the opportunity to pile on the Jet fan posting on the Patriot board and thump your chest. :cool:
The argument wasnt about star power. The argument was that the Jets did not suffer many injuries last year, and if that changes this year, they will be screwed by having no depth.

If Tate goes on the be a STUD WR and Price does nothing then you would certainly be right to call the move stupid, but that hasnt happened. It has with Woodhead and McK.
I don't know why it would be arrogant, since the arrogance (which I dont think was ever my word btw) was to keep the draft choice over the better player simply because he was a draft choice.

Yeah you are really going on a limb with that one. It's prett safe to say Tate won't be putting up big numbers in Cincy with a rookie QB, and more than likely being nothing more than a #3 WR

Arrogance was your word, but since you forgot to bring any form of objective and logical reasoning into this debate, I probably shouldn't expect you to remember much.

Here is the bottom line for me, holding on to the rookie RB with more ability and better measurables than the over the overachieving hard working scrappy 4th year RB from a small school and no true statistics in a regular season game is a smart decision, and nothing close to the BS claim you've presented that the Jets were arrogant.

Last edited:
I have to stop now. Not only is it ridiculously late, but this thread has singlehandedly rocketed up my like count to a level that has me afraid people will forget I am an @sshole.:rocker:

The argument wasnt about star power. The argument was that the Jets did not suffer many injuries last year, and if that changes this year, they will be screwed by having no depth.

And considering this was the same spin that Pats fans used last year and probably the year before, and we both know how that turned out, you would be wrong again.

Yeah you are going on a limb with that one. It's prett safe to say Tate won't be putting up big numbers in Cincy with a rookie QB, and more than likely being nothing more than a #3 WR

Arrogance was your word, but since you forgot to bring any form of objective and logical reasoning into this debate, I probably shouldn't expect you to remember much.

Here is the bottom line for me, holding on to the rookie RB with more ability and better measurables over the overachieving hard working scrappy 4th year RB from a small school and no true statistics in a regular season game is a smart decision, and nothing close to the BS claim you've presented that the Jets were arrogant.

It wasn't Woodhead's 4th year.

And considering this was the same spin that Pats fans used last year and probably the year before, and we both know how that turned out, you would be wrong again.
Right you could stay healthy and be a 6th seed for the 3rd straight year, or have an injury that costs you some games and stay home.
Of course, your roster has declined since you earned those 6th seeds though

I have to stop now. Not only is it ridiculously late, but this thread has singlehandedly rocketed up my like count to a level that has me afraid people will forget I am an @sshole.:rocker:

LOL, can't argue with that, I enjoyed the debate! ;)

Last edited:
This is his 4th year, he had been on and off the PS with the Jets for 3 years going back to Mangini's tenure as HC

And you've gotten it wrong again. Woodhead was from the 2008 draft, which means that he'd only have been "on and off the PS with the Jets" for two years. That, too, however, would have been incorrect, since he never spent time on the PS during his rookie season. He was injured in training camp and spent the year on injured reserve.

So, he spent 1 season active with the Jets, and was on the practice squad only once during that time. He spent part of September and October on the PS, but was called up on October 17th.

So, the Jets had him for the first year (IR). They had him for the second year (PS, active roster for 10 games), and yet they still couldn't see his talent and cut him loose.

You should have quit while you were far, far behind.

I see that "Late-night Andy" is funny as hell :D

And you've gotten it wrong again. Woodhead was from the 2008 draft, which means that he'd only have been "on and off the PS with the Jets" for two years. That, too, however, would have been incorrect, since he never spent time on the PS during his rookie season. He was injured in training camp and spent the year on injured reserve.

So, he spent 1 season active with the Jets, and was on the practice squad only once during that time. He spent part of September and October on the PS, but was called up on October 17th.

So, the Jets had him for the first year (IR). They had him for the second year (PS, active roster for 10 games), and yet they still couldn't see his talent and cut him loose.

He's going into his fourth year.

1. 2008
2. 2009
3. 2010
4. 2011 (now)

So you want to argue semantics because it makes you feel big? Last year, he had been a player in Jets camp for several years, going back to when Mangini was the HC, he had been on and off the Jets practice squad, my point about the player remains the same, you know this, and have nothing else to offer in this thread so I guess the next best thing is argue semantics and then claim some sort of cyber victory. :rolleyes:

Congrats, you really got the Jet fan, you should feel proud... :cool:

Yeah you are really going on a limb with that one. It's prett safe to say Tate won't be putting up big numbers in Cincy with a rookie QB, and more than likely being nothing more than a #3 WR
I'm not going anywhere. That is what would have to happen for the Tate/Price comaprison to equal the Woodhead/McK one.
I agree that its not realistic, thanks for proving my point.

Can you get anything right? You use me forgetting that I introduced the word as a way to toss a lame insult at me without lookiing back and seeing that in fact, I did not. I was introdcued by another poster in post 65, you regurgitated it, and I only used it in response to that. You have a perfect record in this thread, you are wrong about everythign you have said.

Here is the bottom line for me, holding on to the rookie RB with more ability and better measurables than the over the overachieving hard working scrappy 4th year RB from a small school and no true statistics in a regular season game is a smart decision, and nothing close to the BS claim you've presented that the Jets were arrogant.
1) Its laughable to say he has more ability. We have already proved by my pointing out and your refusal to disagree that McK is unlikely to ever be as good as Woodhead was in his first year.
2) Measiurables? Now you keep guys because of height?
3) 3rd yr not 4th
4) How can he be overachieving if you say he was cut because he had no stats?
5) Why would overachieving be a bad thing? Are you looking for underachievers?
6) Again, you expect coaches to have to read stat sheets to evaluate players, That is one of your most ridiculous positions, but if that were the case McK had no stats either.
7) If we agree McK is unlikely to ever be as good as Woodhead was in his first year, how can you possibly call it a good decision? Next you are going to tell me trading up for Sanchez instead of staying put and getting Freeman was a good decision.:rolleyes:

LOL, can't argue with that, I enjoyed the debate! ;)
I found the 'debate' just as enjoyable as a hammer finds its 'debate' with a nail.:)

So you want to argue semantics because it makes you feel big? Last year, he had been a player in Jets camp for several years, going back to when Mangini was the HC, he had been on and off the Jets practice squad, my point about the player remains the same, you know this, and have nothing else to offer in this thread so I guess the next best thing is argue semantics and then claim some sort of cyber victory. :rolleyes:

Congrats, you really got the Jet fan, you should feel proud... :cool:

Deus actually argues semantics b/c it makes him 100% accurate when he out debates you. He does not do it to feel big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back