PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets/Steelers in Round One ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL if we go 13-3 and don't get a bye I will break someone's face

As I've said elsewhere, the bye means little nowadays. Did nothing for the Pats last year. A team is either playing hot or they're not and the bye doesn't affect it really.

At this point, who wouldn't want the Jets? Mark Sanchez is one of the few QB's bad enough that he can't exploit the Patriots leaky defense. And the Jets defense isn't quite what it was the two year prior. Sure the Jets could win, but I would definitely take that matchup over having to play BOTH the Steelers and Ravens.

I only view Flacco is slightly higher regard than Sanchez, but the Ravens always give the Patriots fits and Flacco only threw about 7 times in the 2009 playoff game.

At this point, who wouldn't want the Jets? Mark Sanchez is one of the few QB's bad enough that he can't exploit the Patriots leaky defense. And the Jets defense isn't quite what it was the two year prior. Sure the Jets could win, but I would definitely take that matchup over having to play BOTH the Steelers and Ravens.

I only view Flacco is slightly higher regard than Sanchez, but the Ravens always give the Patriots fits and Flacco only threw about 7 times in the 2009 playoff game.

I want no part of the Jets in the playoffs. We heard the same crap last year about Sanchez and this and that and what happened? They came into Foxboro and kicked our ass. Sure Sanchez has looked shaky at times during the year, but you have to give him credit, he's won a number of games in the 4th qtr this year and plays real big in the playoffs. He's proven it. Give me the Steelers or any other AFC team in round one, I want nothing to do with the Jets.

Does Houston get Schaub back or no? I can't recall if he was IR'ed or just out until the playoffs.

If they can get him back, I could see them legitimately having a shot at getting to the Super Bowl. If anyone else watched them play Pitt earlier in the year, they only won 17-10, but they flat-out crushed the Steelers.

ALSO... if the Steelers win out as well (which I'm assuming they will), wouldn't they get a higher seed than us as they have the direct head-to-head advantage?

Would rather play jets..Pitts WR can destroy our secondary

Not really,they lucked out with a tipped ball into the hands of a LB in the perfect spot,had Mayo missed it they certainly would have put the game into OT where a coin toss and whoever got the ball first would likely have won the game.

Luck,not the defense saved the day.

So you're saying they lost?

Does Houston get Schaub back or no? I can't recall if he was IR'ed or just out until the playoffs.

Nope, he was IR'ed.

ALSO... if the Steelers win out as well (which I'm assuming they will), wouldn't they get a higher seed than us as they have the direct head-to-head advantage?

Only if they win the division. Can't get higher than a 5 seed as a wildcard.

according to espn playoff simulator, if the ravens, texans, and pats all finish at 13-3, the ravens are the #1 seed, the pats the #2 seed and the texans the #3.
2011 NFL Playoff Machine - Simulate Matchups and Scenarios - ESPN

Yes, if the Pats finish 13-3, the worst they can finish is with the #2 seed. Obviously if only one other team goes 13-3, the worst they can be is second (they actually are #1 in a two way tie with the Texans and #2 with a two way tie with the Ravens or Steelers). They are #2 in a two way tie with any of the three.

Can you imagine being a 13-3 Steelers team and getting the #5 seed?!
They are arguably the best team in the AFC and 2 of their 3 losses came with very close games with the #1 and #2 seeds (HOU and BAL).

Right now ESPN has the Patriots the #3 seed, hosting a Wild Card game.

The Pats need to win out if they want a Bye.

The answer is: ESPN is broke. They are using a 'RIGHT NOW' model that doesnt really answer the question.

FROM ESPN:

1 z - Houston 10 3 0 .769 4-0-0 8-2-0 .470 .400 AFC South Champ
Wins tie break over New England and Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games.

2 Baltimore 10 3 0 .769 4-0-0 7-2-0 .497 .520 AFC North Champ (Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on head-to-head win percentage.)
Wins tie break over New England based on strength of victory.

3 New England 10 3 0 .769 3-1-0 7-2-0 .451 .417 AFC East Champ

The "wins tie break...based on win % in conf games" is based on a 10-3 record where they have played 10 AFC games and Balt and NE have only played 9 AFC games with a 7-2 record.

Assuming all win out; Hou DOES NOT get that tie breaker. They all will have the same AFC win %.

ANYWAY; if we play D like today in the playoffs it really doesn't matter 3 or 2 or 1 seed.

how anyone wants the jets, is out of there gore... i think the jets miss the playoffs i think they lose 2 out of three..

If you think the Jets are going to lose 2 of 3 to the Eagles, Giants and Phins, none of which would be playoff teams as of now, why would you be surprised someone would want them as a playoff opponent?
The only potential playoff team they beat was Dallas who handed them the game.

OR have balt or the texans lose as well.

Texans should have lost today...Balt won't lose rest of the way i am beginning to think..which means no #1 seed

Not really,they lucked out with a tipped ball into the hands of a LB in the perfect spot,had Mayo missed it they certainly would have put the game into OT where a coin toss and whoever got the ball first would likely have won the game.

Luck,not the defense saved the day.

So what play were they scoring on for the 4th and goal from the 10? Please share your ability to see the future.

The answer is: ESPN is broke. They are using a 'RIGHT NOW' model that doesnt really answer the question.

The "wins tie break...based on win % in conf games" is based on a 10-3 record where they have played 10 AFC games and Balt and NE have only played 9 AFC games with a 7-2 record.

Assuming all win out; Hou DOES NOT get that tie breaker. They all will have the same AFC win %.

ANYWAY; if we play D like today in the playoffs it really doesn't matter 3 or 2 or 1 seed.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Assuming the four 10-3 teams (Pitt Balt Hou and NE) all win out, here's how it plays out....
Balt wins the division since they beat Pitt head to head and Pitt is wild card #1 ( seed #4) while whatever comes out of the AFC west is seed #4..

That leaves Texans, Patriots and Ravens to fight for the top three seeds.
All will have 12-2 conference records so it goes to strength of victory which favors the Ravens since they beat Pitts (twice) Hou and SF all ten win teams. Currently 66-60 and 17-22 left for a SOV of 83-82 roughly .500 best of all They become seed #1....

The fight for the other bye becomes Pats and Texans. What huts Texans is that they have Colts remaining as well as Tenn and Carolina (11-28) to go with their 52-78 for a total SOV of 63-106 or .372.
Patriots have Den, Mia and Buf remaining (16-21 as I write this) to go with their 53-72 for a total SOV of 69-93 or .425

The Pats would get the #2 seed based on the higher SOV...

#1 Balt
#2 NE
#3 Houst
#4 AFC WEst
#5 Pitt
#^ likely Jets???
[/FONT]

Texans ---- tenn, 7-6------indy- 0-13------ Carolina 4-9left (11-28)
They beat 52-78
Indy 0-13
mia 4-9
pit 10-3
ten 7-6
jax 4-9
clev4-9
tb 4-9
jax 4-9
atl 8-5
cinn 7-6 if they win out 63-106

Balt ---cinn 7-6---------cleve 4-9 –SD 6-7 left 17-22)
Pitt 10-3
Stl 2-10
Jets 8-5
Hou 10-3
ariz 6-7
pitt 10-3
cinn 7-6
sf 10-3
cleve 4-9
indy 0-13 (67-61) total 83-82

----------------------------
Pats Den 7-6 ----Mia 4-9--------Buff 5-8 left (16-23)
They beat
Wash 4-9
Philly 5-8
Dallas 7-5 ***
NyJ 8-5
NYJ 8-5
Mia 4-9
Indy 0-13
KC 5-8
Oak (7-6)
SD 6-7 54-75 total 70-98

If you think the Jets are going to lose 2 of 3 to the Eagles, Giants and Phins, none of which would be playoff teams as of now, why would you be surprised someone would want them as a playoff opponent?
The only potential playoff team they beat was Dallas who handed them the game.

because as you seen last year anything is possible... to have the jets out of the playoffs would be the best for all parties involved....

After seeing SD today, they may give Baltimore a game next week. Pittsburgh plays SF, so that is a game to keep an eye on also. Obviously the only losable game the Pats have is the Denver game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes