PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Fined 100K for tripping incident - [Update: Jets appealing fine]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jets Fined 100K for tripping incident....

Well I hate to make an argument that supports Goodell and goes against the Pats but we weren't fined for 1 incident or 1 season but something like 5 or 6 seasons of violating Goodell's mandate, which is why the penalty seems so insane compared to others.

That is incorrect. The Pats were only fined after the memo came out the same year. Otherwise the league would have had to investigate all of the other teams who were engaged in this practice in previous years, which, as judging by comments from insiders such as Jimmy Johnson, was widespread.

Also, the Rats were "heavily fined" (that was just alluded to by John Clayton on ESPN) because they had been doing it all year.

There should have been a separate penalty on Westhoff for impugning the Pats when he accused them of doing it too but it was all part of the $100,000.

The Rats got off lightly, as I'm sure they expected to under the circumstances of who was sitting in judgment of them.

That is incorrect. The Pats were only fined after the memo came out the same year. Otherwise the league would have had to investigate all of the other teams who were engaged in this practice in previous years, which, as judging by comments from insiders such as Jimmy Johnson, was widespread.

Incorrect, Goodell specifically stated his punishment was for multiple years of violations, and the rule about camera placement is located in the operations manual. The memo that was sent out previous to the season was just a reminder about that rule, just like how Goodell has now sent out a memo about where people can stand on the sideline.

Last edited:

Well I hate to make an argument that supports Goodell and goes against the Pats but we weren't fined for 1 incident or 1 season but something like 5 or 6 seasons of violating Goodell's mandate, which is why the penalty seems so insane compared to others.

Yes, several seasons and 32 teams.

Goodell had been in his position for what...less than 1 year? It was Goodell's over reaction trying to make a statement. Most analyists said the punishment way outweighed the crime.

Insane is an apt description. My biggest problem is the inconsistency of it all.

He set the punishment bar so high, all these infractions should cost their team a first.

If it was not the Pats, the punishment would not have been near as severe...as he is currently demonstrating.

Also, the Rats were "heavily fined" (that was just alluded to by John Clayton on ESPN) because they had been doing it all year.

There should have been a separate penalty on Westhoff for impugning the Pats when he accused them of doing it too but it was all part of the $100,000.

The Rats got off lightly, as I'm sure they expected to under the circumstances of who was sitting in judgment of them.

In my earlier outrage, I neglected to realize that the $100K was not just the fine for the trip, but also the Westhoff accusations. In essence, the Jets got a free pass on that.

I bet if we made false accusations about another team, it would not be swept under the carpet so easily.

I'm actually don't mind they got fined $100k, especially after how terrible the Favre thing was handled. I was expecting nothing at all to come of this. The fine and accompanying discourse show:

- the Jets organization was responsible for the improper sideline tactic, not just the conditioning coach.

- the Jets need to shut their trap and not air the "dirty laundry" of other teams

Of course I would like to see the Jets lose the same as the Patriots did, but since this is the first time a team has been caught doing the sideline wall illegally, a lesser fine is probably warranted. It's a bit of different situation than back in 2007 when BB was doing the taping AFTER a league memo had come out. Now if any team gets caught doing one of the two above things in the near future, I would expect a punishment similar to what the Patriots got.

I think it's very fair. Puts it right inline with video taping, but because it was a one time incident no draft pick should of been forfeited.

I gave sexy wrecksie 3 years before he's run out of town...I'm sticking with that prediction.

Jet fans still think he's a great coach most likely due to their playoff gift and their mini run against the Bungles and the Chokers. His act will grow old after they get bounced in round 1 and then go back to a .500 team next season.

It must really be painful to follow that team. I can almost understand why their fans are such a@@holes

Last edited:

I gave sexy wrecksie 3 years before he's run out of town...I'm sticking with that prediction.

If they are one and done and got 5-11 next year, you'll be right. Woody will clean house.

no, that is false...the Pats were fined because they were issued a memo and BB ignored it, all in the same year.from September 2006 to September 2007. Period. Don't start inventing more lies than have already been cooked up.

Last edited:

If they are one and done and got 5-11 next year, you'll be right. Woody will clean house.

problem is, he can sell tickets and talk a good game, but he's a horrendous x's and o's guy. Jet fans may be overzealous and often over rate their team, but they are not stupid. They will eventually see through the smoke and mirrors. They go 8-8 next year (and that's likely) and a few of the losses are due to stupidity (even more likely) and Mr Toe boy is done.

Incorrect, Goodell specifically stated his punishment was for multiple years of violations, and the rule about camera placement is located in the operations manual. The memo that was sent out previous to the season was just a reminder about that rule, just like how Goodell has now sent out a memo about where people can stand on the sideline.

that is a LIE. Stop lying. I have a complete dossier on this whole incident complete with bookmarked statements by all involved.

no, that is false...the Pats were fined because they were issued a memo and BB ignored it, all in the same year.from September 2006 to September 2007. Period. Don't start inventing more lies than have already been cooked up.

that is a LIE. Stop lying. I have a complete dossier on this whole incident complete with bookmarked statements by all involved.

No, the rules were actually already in place in the NFL operations manual and the league's Constitution & Bylaws.

Videotaping rules - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

In the league's Constitution & Bylaws, it reads: "Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."

Last edited:

Funniest thing I've read lately are theories about Sal Alosi being behind footgate for being thrown under the bus. I don't buy it, but still, what a joke of an organization. Somebody please end the circus routine and get Cowher in there. It's just getting embarrassing now.

you're using the policy to fabricate a LIE. Yes, the policy was in effect for years, and IGNORED by every team.That is why the memo came out to REMIND teams that the practice should cease. Belichick viewed the language of the memo sent out in September 2006 and continued to run the Patriots and do scouting work in the manner they'd been doing it. Goodell said NOTHING, issued NOTHING and ruled NOTHING until Spetember of 2007 when he fined the Patriots and BB for disobeying HIS memo of 2006. There was and is NO tie in to "for years earlier!!!" that YOU posted. That is a LIE. YOU are a liar.WE have endured many attacks on our team of choice by people like you since 2007.....lie after lie after lie all using the event itself as a jumping off point.THe odious, reprehensible lie about the taped walkthrough before the Rams/Pats Super Bowl for example.The liar who made that "public' used the exact same strategy YOU are trying to get away with...puke up "Spygate!!!!" and then print whatever the hell damn libelous garbage that underpins your pinheaded little agenda.

... the Jets organization was responsible for the improper sideline tactic, not just the conditioning coach.

I wonder if that means that Alosi or whatever that conditioning coachs name is, no longer has to pay the fine since he was ordered from higher up to do it. Oh wait nevermind, I just answered my own question. They didn't tell him to trip so he has to still pay the fine.

I just went to the green sewers J.I. and Gangrene looking at threads and specific posts that mirror this RHbT76 take and lo and behold, a 14K posts Beerfish comes out with an almost exact same post at the same time.

Yeah, nice try "Beer" as they call you at the sewer...try Ripple or some other cheap jacked up with alcohol "beverage" and stop trolling Pats fans.

Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
lol, Pats cheat via video tape for 5 years including super bowl winning years and after being specifically warned about it and get $500,000 one trip and a line up behind the out of bounds line = $100,000

Last edited:

you're using the policy to fabricate a LIE. Yes, the policy was in effect for years, and IGNORED by every team.That is why the memo came out to REMIND teams that the practice should cease. Belichick viewed the language of the memo sent out in September 2006 and continued to run the Patriots and do scouting work in the manner they'd been doing it. Goodell said NOTHING, issued NOTHING and ruled NOTHING until Spetember of 2007 when he fined the Patriots and BB for disobeying HIS memo of 2006. There was and is NO tie in to "for years earlier!!!" that YOU posted. That is a LIE. YOU are a liar.WE have endured many attacks on our team of choice by people like you since 2007.....lie after lie after lie all using the event itself as a jumping off point.THe odious, reprehensible lie about the taped walkthrough before the Rams/Pats Super Bowl for example.The liar who made that "public' used the exact same strategy YOU are trying to get away with...puke up "Spygate!!!!" and then print whatever the hell damn libelous garbage that underpins your pinheaded little agenda.

What I find humorous is Jets fans acting all self-rightous and holier than thou about spygate, when in fact, 6-7 months prior to spygate, the Jets were caught for the same EXACT thing! Only difference was that Mangina said he had permission from BB to do it. Uh huh... yeah sure BB gave you permission...

If I recall I think BB even said that he never gave permission. But yeah, Jets are the classy team *cough*.

I'm sorry but you seem to have some kind of emotional problem so this will be my last response to you. The memo was sent out to warn teams to stop violating the established rules, Belichick ignored the memo.

In regards to what the punishment was for:

The NFL has stated that the penalties were for the totality of the Patriots' actions, not just those during the Jets game.

Goodell said yesterday that Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal, implying he's been doing it since he has been coach.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach," said the commissioner. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts."

Goodell tells Specter Patriots have been taping since 2000 - The Boston Globe

I just went to the green sewers J.I. and Gangrene looking at threads and specific posts that mirror this RHbT76 take and lo and behold, a 14K posts Beerfish comes out with an almost exact same post at the same time.

Yeah, nice try "Beer" as they call you at the sewer...try Ripple or some other cheap jacked up with alcohol "beverage" and stop trolling Pats fans.

Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
lol, Pats cheat via video tape for 5 years including super bowl winning years and after being specifically warned about it and get $500,000 one trip and a line up behind the out of bounds line = $100,000

Hey, Joker, I understand the point in your argument and all, but in checking out RHbT76's posting history, I doubt he's a troll on this subject - - you may want to take a look at it. In fact, it looks like he's pretty much tough on the Jets for Tripgate. So he has a different point of view on the Cameragate thing and maybe he's wrong on that or maybe he's right, but it's a wild stretch to tie him as some Jets troll.

Last edited:

What I find humorous is Jets fans acting all self-rightous and holier than thou about spygate, when in fact, 6-7 months prior to spygate, the Jets were caught for the same EXACT thing! Only difference was that Mangina said he had permission from BB to do it. Uh huh... yeah sure BB gave you permission...

If I recall I think BB even said that he never gave permission. But yeah, Jets are the classy team *cough*.

Spygate is simply a coping mechanism Jet fans use to justify their inferiority to the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back