PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo suffers knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you would have been happy if BB kept the player he deemed to be not as good as the one he kept?

Skinner was signed off the PS, Anderson wasn't eligible for the PS, so that's not at all what that necessarily means. Belichick chose to go light at LB, and I didn't like that choice at the time and certainly don't like it now.

OFFENSE (11 + 11 backups + FB + 2 additional RB's)
QB - 1
RB - 1
WR - 2 1/2
OL - 5 (backups include a long snapper)
TE - 1 1/2

So on offense, we have 25 roster spots.

pretty strong words.

You can't have unlimited depth at every position

11 offensive starters plus backups puts you at 22 players
11 defensive players plus backups puts you at 44 players
Kicker/Punter with no backup puts you at 46 players

That gives you 7 free roster spots to add depth where you need it from a list of 21 positions(Qb only needs the starter and the backup)

It's real easy to say its negligent roster management in hindsight, but all things considered If the team was to completely collapse because we lost one lb, there are more issues on the team then LB depth.

Here's to hearing the phrase "Deontae Skinner has been a revelation" at some point tonight.

You're right, you can't have unlimited depth. But there's a pretty wide gap between "unlimited depth" and "three starters followed immediately by practice squad-caliber players". In other words, the inability to have unlimited depth isn't an excuse to have no depth.

In your own evaluation, you accounted for all 11 positions having a backup. Well, who was the backup for Mayo, Collins, and Hightower? It was Deontae Skinner, an UDFA rookie who we signed off of our practice squad and immediately became a starter. There's your problem. I'm not suggesting that they should've had multiple backups all waiting in the wings in case Jerod Mayo specifically got hurt. I'm suggesting that they should've had at least one depth linebacker on the roster who had played a meaningful snap in the NFL. Instead, the Patriots chose to construct a roster where an injury to any one of their three starting LBs meant they would have to start a practice squad player who had never played a meaningful NFL snap. Those three linebacker positions are nearly a third of the starting defense, and the Pats didn't have a game-tested backup for any of them. It was incredibly easy to predict that that would backfire at some point, but even I figured that the Pats would have all three starting LBs healthy for more than the one game that they ended up getting.

As for the other part: who would I have signed? Well, technically they didn't have to make any additional signings. They could've simply not cut James Anderson. Cutting him was what moved the needle, for me, from "they're taking an understandable calculated risk" to "this makes no sense". Another alternative would be signing Woodyard this past offseason, although for the money that he ended up getting I can understand why they didn't. Neither Woodyard nor Anderson would've replaced Mayo, but they would have created some roster flexibility to move players around so that you aren't stuck relying on someone like Deontae Skinner to be a capable starting NFL LB right away.

And Skinner may end up being good. I'm rooting for it, certainly, and it's not like it would be unprecedented. Maybe he ends up being a revelation for us on par with Danny Trevathan for the Broncos last year. But it's foolish to bank on that at three different positions without any alternative to hedge against the likely outcome that he sucks. There's value in having young guys with the potential to grow, but there's also value in having guys who have proven that they can play, and there's no reason not to have both elements at work in your LB corps. This is the 2011 safety rotation all over again.
Anderson looked horrible during the pre season. He simply didn't earn a roster spot. You can absolutely argue that we should have done a better job at securing a backup LB. But I can't really complain about cutting Anderson as he just wasn't any good.

Skinner was signed off the PS, Anderson wasn't eligible for the PS, so that's not at all what that necessarily means. Belichick chose to go light at LB, and I didn't like that choice at the time and certainly don't like it now.

For what it's worth, I don't think BB wanted to be light at LB. James Morris and Cameron Gordon both got hurt. If not for their injuries, I see at least one of them, and maybe even both, being on the 53.

Unless I missed something, nobody has said what the actual injury is. I'm not ignoring the reports that he's out for the year, I concede that, but we don't know the specific nature of the injury. Comments on how the Patriots should handle his contract next year will be informed by that information.

Why are Mayo and Ridler still on 53 man roster? Is there any advantage to not IR-ing them?

No real advantage to placing them on IR if their replacements are just going to be inactive tonight. I'm assuming that with it being such a short week, they didn't think anyone off the street could be signed on Monday/Tuesday and be ready to play today. And apparently any guy off the practice squad wouldn't have been active tonight. So they figure, why distract themselves with this roster decision during a week where they have precious little time to prepare for the Jets. I'm assuming that is the advantage to not IR-ing them right now.

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe
Jerod Mayo tore his patellar tendon, per @tomecurran. A trainer who rehabs NFL players (but not Mayo) told me it's worse than ACL tear.

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe
The trainer added players "are never the same" and lose a step after tearing their patellar tendon, which Mayo did, per @tomecurran.

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe
Can't stress enough this trainer isn't directly involved with Mayo. Just relaying the info for comparison's sake because it's a rare injury.

Really doesn't sound good for the future.

OK, good to have it cleared up. I hope it's not as bad as Jeff Howe makes it sound. What other players have torn their patellar?

Well...that sucks. I can't see BB sticking with the current contract if there's really that much uncertainty about his ability to recover.

Well...that sucks. I can't see BB sticking with the current contract if there's really that much uncertainty about his ability to recover.

Not sure that what Jeff Howe says someone else heard from someone who doesn't know anything about Mayo's exactly injury issue qualifies as uncertainty about the ability to recover.

Patellar is rough. ACL tears are "easy" in the sense it is possible to get back to 100%. In terms of the Acl alone, it is stronger post op/recovery than before injury. Obviously down the line they are more likely to have issues like arthritis. patellar is rare to get back to 100%.

You mean its not just the source that Howe heard Curran had who made comments about someone other Mayo sustaining a similar injury.

We could cite a lot of articles about injuries similar to Wilfork or Gronk that would tell us they wouldn't be playing now, or about Amendola that would tell us he is back to 100%.
Each injury is different. I just don't get the need to discuss on the day he had surgery what we predict will be happening after 6-8 months of rehab when we have no clue how the surgery will go, how his rehab will go and what his timetable is.
Just because Curran asked a trainer about Patellar injuries and Howe tweeted about it, doesn't mean there are actually any facts yet.

Ugh that tendon? Thats bad... Sane thing as Cruz. Cruz being a WR will never be the same again. Hopefully mayo can be

Ouch, a patellar tendon injury is exactly what I was afraid of. Based on precedent from other players, there's a very good chance that this injury will be career-altering for Mayo, but at the same time he can afford to lose a bit of agility far more than someone like Victor Cruz (or Morris Claiborne) can. It'll be really interesting to see how he recovers, and I have faith that he'll make as close to a 100% recovery as a guy in his position can.

FWIW, if this sounds like a pessimistic take, I was significantly more pessimistic re: Wilfork's chances at coming back from his ruptured Achilles. And I think we may see a similar type of recovery from Mayo, where even if he's back next season without missing a beat, he almost certainly won't be his old self right away, will probably inspire a bunch of negative posts, but hopefully will get back to a reasonable facsimile of Jerod Mayo sooner rather than later.

On the most pessimistic side of reasonable projections, I still think he would end up being a solid, above average NFL starter at MLB. In that possible outcome, he certainly isn't worth his cap hit next year, so we may see the Pats attempt to renegotiate with him this offseason--again much like Wilfork last year--but even minus some agility/explosiveness he's still a good, solid LB.

Just because Curran asked a trainer about Patellar injuries and Howe tweeted about it, doesn't mean there are actually any facts yet.

OK? Not sure where I claimed otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick