PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo suffers knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. The idea that the injuries don't matter, or that no injury can undermine a season, is laughable. Patriots fans should know that as well as anyone.

Can you quote a post anywhere on this thread where someone claimed that no injury can undermine a season?

Can you quote a post anywhere on this thread where someone claimed that no injury can undermine a season?

I didn't say that anyone had. As a matter of fact, the two people I"m discussing this with today both openly stated that injuries can matter.

Debatable. 2013 was certainly a year where injuries played a direct role in the season ending in Denver. 2008 most assuredly. If Brady doesn't go down with that line and weapons, it was definitely another deep run in the playoffs. Brady's injury alone was worth three games, maybe more, and a first-round bye.

Gronkowski is a such a dominant player at his position that his health has played a direct role in playoff outcomes as well.

2007 was not one of those years. The Patriots cam within a couple of minutes and a miraculous play of winning that Super Bowl. That loss was more about getting beaten up front and excellent pass defense by the Giants.

It's a year-by-year thing for sure.
I just disagree that the team being affected by injuries is a valid excuse for not winning the SB. The teams that won had injuries. Sure we would have been a better team without them but so would all if the other teams. I just think it's silly to live Ina world of telling people what would have happened if you didn't have an injury.
You certainly are welcome to feel otherwise.

I didn't say that anyone had. As a matter of fact, the two people I"m discussing this with today both openly stated that injuries can matter.

Sure you did; it's the clear implication of the quoted post. In any case, then what's the point of posting this if you're now acknowledging that nobody said otherwise?:

"Absolutely. The idea that the injuries don't matter, or that no injury can undermine a season, is laughable. Patriots fans should know that as well as anyone."

Might as well say "the idea that the earth isn't round is laughable" or "the idea that water isn't wet is laughable", since it's self-evident and you acknowledge that nobody disputed it in the first place.

Sure you did; it's the clear implication of the quoted post. In any case, then what's the point of posting this if you're now acknowledging that nobody said otherwise?:

"Absolutely. The idea that the injuries don't matter, or that no injury can undermine a season, is laughable. Patriots fans should know that as well as anyone."

Might as well say "the idea that the earth isn't round is laughable" or "the idea that water isn't wet is laughable".

No, Brady, I did not. One of the famous lines in sports is "Injuries are no excuse". I was referring to that.

Next time you try to read my mind, be sure that there's not an obvious answer out there first.

2013 and 2104 at LB - GM planning

We lost Mayo and Spikes. Our backups Collins (a high draft choice) and Fletcher (experienced in the system) were our reasonable replacements.

We've lost Mayo. We have no replacements other than UDFA's with no experience in our system. Why is this good planning by our GM?
==============

In the last offseason, we lost Fletcher and Spikes.

We replaced Fletcher and Spikes by UDFA's on the Practice Squad.

How is this good planning by our GM?
=========================

Some have pointed to camp injuries to other UDFA's with no experience as the reason for lack of depth.

Hands up! Who thinks that this is a reasonable approach to backing up starters? And no, I don't know which available linebackers might have been a better idea than using the Practice Squad and in-season street free agents as the only option for backup linebackers.
=======

AS AN ASIDE
Sometimes, DE's can be backup linebackers, if a backup DE is available as a starter. In 2014, we went into the season with am inexperienced sub package DE (Buchanan) and his backup Moore as backup DE's, so Ninkovich is really needed as a DE.

lol @ people who think it's possible to have a viable backup for every starter. The last couple pages of this thread are so incredibly results oriented it's ridiculous. Roster management is tough. Sometimes you have UDFA's backing up starters.

We are down 2-3 starters on OL and the OL still played somewhat decently against one of the best DL in the league. This board is spoiled and entitled. You try and plan for injuries the best you can, but it's just not likely you'll have starter quality backups for every starter. Especially considering the more important the starter is (Mayo) the harder it is to have a backup even close to their caliber.

This reminds me of all the pissing and moaning last year of not having a backup for Gronk. Who do you want us to carry behind Gronk? Jimmy Graham?

lol @ people who think it's possible to have a viable backup for every starter. The last couple pages of this thread are so incredibly results oriented it's ridiculous. Roster management is tough. Sometimes you have UDFA's backing up starters.

We are down 2-3 starters on OL and the OL still played somewhat decently against one of the best DL in the league. This board is spoiled and entitled. You try and plan for injuries the best you can, but it's just not likely you'll have starter quality backups for every starter. Especially considering the more important the starter is (Mayo) the harder it is to have a backup even close to their caliber.

This reminds me of all the pissing and moaning last year of not having a backup for Gronk. Who do you want us to carry behind Gronk? Jimmy Graham?

Laugh all you wish.

Last year, we had viable backups at LB. This year, we do not.

No, we need not need to have THREE viable position backups for our LB's. We had TWO last year. We had ZERO this year. So, it is not a matter of having viable backups for all of our starters. It is a matter of having backups for almost all our starters.

And yes, it would have been reasonable to have a better backup TE than Hooman in 2013. What is laughable is the idea that it is a waste of a roster spot if our #2 isn't Jimmy Graham. Last year we had NO ONE. This year we have Wright. I guess, FOR YOU, Wright is a waste of a roster spot. For most of us, having a viable additional TE is a plus.

White, Davis, and Skinner are on the active roster and Darius Fleming, who may move up from the PS. There could be some talent in that group who can step up, but we just don't know.

Does anybody here know whether Darius Fleming is physically healthy to go tonite? He's got Brandon Spikes' size and was a thumper at Notre Dame. A wet field against the Jets who have no passing game might be a perfect spot for him to contribute.

It is only a question mark but that is enough to think we will draft a LB or 2.

It is only a question mark but that is enough to think we will draft a LB or 2.

This region would go berserk if BB picked a QB in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round...

ESPN injury "expert" on Mayo's recovery:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../espn-injury-expert-on-jerod-mayos-road-ahead

The entire article, including the embedded study, is worth a read, if you have a genuine interest in the topic.

Just based on the blog post, I read this as a difficult, lengthy, but likely to be successful recovery. E.g., with a small amount of bad luck Mayo will be PUPped next year, but it would take a significant amount of bad luck for him to miss the whole season.

Just based on the blog post, I read this as a difficult, lengthy, but likely to be successful recovery. E.g., with a small amount of bad luck Mayo will be PUPped next year, but it would take a significant amount of bad luck for him to miss the whole season.

This would be a perfect example of a "good" (assuming physicians felt it was warranted) use of HGH. This sort of situation is one that the league should act upon. Legalizing physician approved and monitored HGH for IR'd post-ops, and early offseason post-ops, is a perfectly sensible position that wouldn't impact that season's competitiveness in the slightest.

BTW, WE love Prentice McCray on this site. Please do us all favor and give that infuriatingly obtuse Benz a good knuckle noogie on the top of his pin head when you get the chance.:D

White, Davis, and Skinner are on the active roster and Darius Fleming, who may move up from the PS. There could be some talent in that group who can step up, but we just don't know.

Does anybody here know whether Darius Fleming is physically healthy to go tonite? He's got Brandon Spikes' size and was a thumper at Notre Dame. A wet field against the Jets who have no passing game might be a perfect spot for him to contribute.

White had exactly ONE rep at LB last year. Davis had none. I don't think we will see much from these two special teamers. Rather, I think it likely that Davis will be cut to make room for a position linebacker.

OPTIONS (We need at least 2 LB's in addition to Collins and Hightower)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FLEMING is an OLB and may indeed be activated in the next week if he is healthy.

SKINNER has played in the base in several games and IMHO should have had more reps last night.

STREET FREE AGENTS have been in Foxborough for tryouts (at least 5 I think)

As Belichick has done is recent years, a draft choice might be TRADEd for a linebacker.

White had exactly ONE rep at LB last year. Davis had none. I don't think we will see much from these two special teamers. Rather, I think it likely that Davis will be cut to make room for a position linebacker.

OPTIONS (We need at least 2 LB's in addition to Collins and Hightower)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FLEMING is an OLB and may indeed be activated in the next week if he is healthy.

SKINNER has played in the base in several games and IMHO should have had more reps last night.

STREET FREE AGENTS have been in Foxborough for tryouts (at least 5 I think)

As Belichick has done is recent years, a draft choice might be TRADEd for a linebacker.

Thank you. Skinner was around the ball last night against the Jets and looked fast, but not a lot of help as a run stuffer.

I agree that a trade could well be in order with a team that has a linebacker with a palatable contract they want to dump. Belichick knows linebackers, so I have little doubt he'd get somebody who could fill the Patriots' needs. Something splashy along the lines of Talib is what is needed.

If I recall correctly, there's about $6.5 million available on the cap to call on in emergencies like this. Now would be a good time to make a move if a trading partner is willing to pull the trigger before the trade deadline.

I'd love to see Belichick extract MLB Paul Posluszny from the Jaguars.
He's 30 and deserves a chance to get a whiff of the playoffs. He's got a decent cap number for half of a season, and has the experience and smarts to fill in.

Do you know (or if Miguel is reading this) if any money is being freed up by Ridley and Mayo going on IR? Overthe cap has zeroes in "other" bonus categories:http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots/ I don't recall any significant performance bonuses for either one, but I don't know where to look beyond the obvious web sites. (The old standby cap site - http://nyjetscap.com - is belly up - what happened to that guy?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back