PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jayden Daniels - "intent" on playing for Patriots?

No.

Take the RIGHT Quarterback.
Well if the right QB isn’t available with the 3rd overall pick this year the right QB isn’t going to be there in next years class so get used to scrubs for possible multiple years.

Maye or Daniels is the right QB, pick one.

Maye, my brain tells me, is the smart choice, but it'd be more fun if they were to take Daniels, so I won't squawk if they pick him. After all, fun may be rare commodity for Pats fans next year. The McCarthy thing looks like the usual sudden and unwarranted rise, the result of boredom with the obvious choices, we see each year among qb prospects. I see him as a level down from the others. I suppose he might be an option if they trade down, which I think they will not, and probably should not.

Well if the right QB isn’t available with the 3rd overall pick this year the right QB isn’t going to be there in next years class so get used to scrubs for possible multiple years.
You don't know that. A lot can happen in a year.
Maye or Daniels is the right QB, pick one.
You don't get that choice. You get the leftover.

You don't know that. A lot can happen in a year.

You don't get that choice. You get the leftover.
I’m good with leftovers, especially pizza.

If Daniel’s meeting with DC didn’t go well that could be a red flag to us?
Maybe they asked a tough question and he didn’t respond well,
Maybe they wanted to see how he would respond about questions about his durability or arm strength,

It Was takes Maye first off Efff you Ryland.
Second I’m running up with JJ Mccarthy’s name.
Agreed. Although I'd prefer Maye, I would take McCarthy over Daniels.

If he's right we get Maye, who is a perfect for the AVP offense. We don't have a QB, why would we trade down to teams needing a QB?

The 40th best prospect in 2024 is currently equal to the 10th rated prospect in 2025. A 2025 first, in a very weak draft, from a potential playoff team is not a valuable pick, at all.
Then this year we drop out of the top 10, miss out on the elite prospects just to add a late 1st this year, where the prospect hit rate is lower than the top 5.

Where are you getting a QB? Not in 2025 unless you finish in last place as there is only 1 QB worthy of top 5 and he will go #1 overall and is currently rated below Maye and Daniels and has a father that says he will pull an Eli Manning and not play for a cold weather team.

Then you are onto 2026 where you are so desperate to find the guy you trade 3 firsts, or more, for him and hope he is not a bust?
Or just pick one now when you are in position to.

I would need 4 firsts and 4 seconds to trade this pick. And if I believe the guy there is a potential top 5 NFL QB I may not trade it for that.
's thought to be
Just draft the highly rated QB prospect and hope he works out. It's the NFL, you must have the QB and if you don't have one and are in position to take one you have to do it.
I agree that if the QB the team wants is there at 3, they should make the pick. The speculation on next years QB class is just that, speculation. At this time last year there were only 2 QBs capable of being top 5 this year and now there are at least 4 that are likely to be picked in the top 5. Concern about next year should not influence the decision to trade down if the team otherwise does not like this years options.

I agree that if the QB the team wants is there at 3, they should make the pick. The speculation on next years QB class is just that, speculation. At this time last year there were only 2 QBs capable of being top 5 this year and now there are at least 4 that are likely to be picked in the top 5. Concern about next year should not influence the decision to trade down if the team otherwise does not like this years options.
Yes! If you don't think your guy is here, trade down. You better be sure, though, because if the team you are getting that motherlode of 1st rd picks from gets an elite QB at 3, they aren't going to suck and your future picks are going to be middling.

I do think you need to factor in the strength of the next year's draft, yes it changes, but historically, not by too much in terms of overall talent and depth. Due to the extra covid year this year's draft is extremely deep, especially in offensive players. I'd rather pick up a middle of the round 2nd round pick this year than a first in 2025 from a likely playoff team.
It's unusual to have such a large disparity in draft depth from a year away but covid was unusual, you can't ignore 2025 might be the worst draft in the last 10 years when you are factoring in trade value.

Given the woeful state of the roster, we must anticipate a two or three year rebuild. We must therefore not think short term at all, which means that we must to some extent at least acquiesce in the assumption, painful to some, that fielding a winning team next year is quite unimportant, even a pointless distraction which could cost us draft position in next year's draft.. It also means that taking on short-term players - likely players later in their careers - merely in order to field a "competitive" team next year is a waste of time and resources. We need young, promising players at many positions, not temporarily competent older ones, who are in any case more easily and cheaply gotten after we have built a team on which such players might choose to play and where they might then be of actual benefit and use.

Last edited:
I do think you need to factor in the strength of the next year's draft, yes it changes, but historically, not by too much in terms of overall talent and depth. Due to the extra covid year this year's draft is extremely deep, especially in offensive players. I'd rather pick up a middle of the round 2nd round pick this year than a first in 2025 from a likely playoff team.
It's unusual to have such a large disparity in draft depth from a year away but covid was unusual, you can't ignore 2025 might be the worst draft in the last 10 years when you are factoring in trade value.
Factoring in next years draft, FA, etc., makes good sense, as long as the team doesn't panic and take a player they aren't comfortable due to concerns about next year. This is a unique draft from the COVID timing perspective that impacts all positions, not just QB. In some ways this provides additional incentive to trade down for picks this year. Stocking up on a number of positions will help speed up the rebuild.

Here is Daniels’ “30 visit” that he was supposedly having this week with Washington… he’s having it alright… along with every other prospect under the sun simultaneously

Given the woeful state of the roster, we must anticipate a two or three year rebuild. We must therefore not think short term at all, which means that we must to some extent at least acquiesce in the assumption, painful to some, that fielding a winning team next year is quite unimportant, even a pointless distraction which could cost us draft position in next year's draft.. It also means that taking on short-term players - likely players later in their careers - merely in order to field a "competitive" team next year is a waste of time and resources. We need young, promising players at many positions, not temporarily competent older ones, who are in any case more easily and cheaply gotten after we have built a team on which such players might choose to play and where they might then be of actual benefit and use.
You need some experienced guys on the roster. Young guys need role models and older players often help with the coaching (at the micro level). But I agree it's silly to construct a win-now roster when you don't even have a QB.

You need some experienced guys on the roster. Young guys need role models and older players often help with the coaching (at the micro level). But I agree it's silly to construct a win-now roster when you don't even have a QB.
Yep. I agree, but I think at this point we should concentrate on getting the younger, promising guys. After teams have chosen their draftees, undrafted free agents, maybe made a trade in connection with the draft; I suspect there will be a better selection of older players with something left in the tank who could make good mentors/exemplars for the young guys. I guess i feel this way because the breadth and depth of needs at this point is so extensive. It;s not as if we (yet) hacve a good young team in need only of guidance. We need talent we can keep for a while at a reasonable price.

Argument can be made that we're better than Houston was 2 years ago.

What changed for them? Stroud, Tank Dell, Christian Harris came on, Will Anderson, Nico Collins had a real QB, improvement from Kenyon Green.

Here is Daniels’ “30 visit” that he was supposedly having this week with Washington… he’s having it alright… along with every other prospect under the sun simultaneously

Are they trying to see about camraderie? Which QB players gravitate to?

I mean, Keion White would probably score very low in such an environment, and also a bunch of other gruff people.

Are they trying to see about camraderie? Which QB players gravitate to?

I mean, Keion White would probably score very low in such an environment, and also a bunch of other gruff people.
That seems extremely weird to me. Whichever guy is most charismatic in a casual social gathering doesn’t necessarily translate to leading a football team during hard times.

“JJ McCarthy was the life of the party last night, all the guys loved him! Jayden Daniels was kinda quiet. That seals it, McCarthy is the guy for us. Daniels blows!”

Argument can be made that we're better than Houston was 2 years ago.

What changed for them? Stroud, Tank Dell, Christian Harris came on, Will Anderson, Nico Collins had a real QB, improvement from Kenyon Green.
Tough to beat total futility on offense, but so much has changed and will change before we even play a game, it’s difficult to project how this rebuild will go. We really need a good QB.

Tough to beat total futility on offense, but so much has changed and will change before we even play a game, it’s difficult to project how this rebuild will go. We really need a good QB.
Sure, we need a good QB. Well, we have a much better one than in 2023, and we will draft a better one for late 2023 and 2024. In addition to Brissette, we already have at least 10 improvements from the end of the year roster. We'll get more in the draft, at least a second QB and a LT.

Last year, we played the end of the season with
QB Zappe
LT Love
RB: Smith, Harris
OG Mafi
WR Parker
TE Gisicki, Pharoh Brown

We have already improved at almost all positions at Offense, compared to the last part of 2023.
QB: Brissette (add)
LT: Okorafor (add)
LG: Strange (back from IR)
OG: Leverett (add)
WR: Osborne (add
WR: Bourne (back from IR)
TE: Henry (back from IR)
TE: Hooper (add)
RB: Stevenson (back from IR)
RB: Gibson (add)
LT:'s back from IR (probably no help): Anderson, McDermott, Wheatley

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes