PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jay Cutler Implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SF at #10 might be an option as well, though I think Stafford and Sanchez will both go earlier than #10, and I don't see SF as being nearly as motivated to go after Cutler.

Didn't Singletary send Vernon Davis to the locker room before halftime in a game?

LOL - with the big whiner Cutler is, Singletary will send him packing back to Denver(or Vanderbilt) the minute he starts to act out.

B

Cousins, listening to the latest, they said Josh really wants Sanchez. Trading with Detroit for #1 would make it happen but who wants #1 (there is something wrong with that!). They say Seattle may go Sanchez at #4. So we go to St.Louis who does not have a dog in that fight or ironically K.C. So Pioli and Josh have to find partners. The Lions have the most ammo. It would be sweet justice to send the crybaby there.

A reasonable trade would be the Lions give up their Cowboy bounty from their fantastic WR trade of Roy Williams #20 and #82 and their own #33 for Cutler.

Josh then trades his Denver #12 and the Lions #33 for the Chiefs #3 to get Sanchez. A first and an early second for dropping down 9 slots in the first round is a Pioli/BB move for K.C. The draft point value number is not the difference it used to be because of crazy top ten dollars.

The Broncos get Sanchez and pick up a third rounder #82 for losing Cutler. Fair?? But they get the guy Josh wants who will not be there at #12.

The Lions keep their #1 and their #65 and get Cutler. So in essence , for Williams and a second rounder they get a Pro Bowl QB.

I think then Seattle now goes for Stafford at #4.

The only caveat is Josh takes #1 off the Lions hands for Cutler and pays Sanchez $30m. He still keeps his #12.

Biggest winner? Pioli. He's then 2 and 0 so far.
DW Toys

Where did you hear that McDaniels really wants Sanchez?

Sanchez' stock is clearly rising fast. He had by all reports a strong pro-day, and Seattle has been openly rumored to be very interested in him. They had a large contingent at his pro day.

NFL.com Blogs Pro Days

By all reports Matt Stafford had a terrific private workout with the Lions, and the Lions seem very taken with him. Sanchez has more of the WCO offense appeal for Seattle than Stafford does, anyway. So as of right now, the top of the draft looks like it is headed this way:

1. Detroit - Matt Stafford, QB
2. St. Louis - one of the 2 OL's, either Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe
3. KC - Aaron Curry, LB
4. Seattle - Mark Sanchez, QB

Of course, there could still be smokescreens and changes of direction. Either Detroit or Seattle could go OL over QB. But right now I think that this is the most likely direction.

Unless Detroit changes direction about Stafford and is willing to trade the #1 pick for Cutler (which I think is unlikely), the highest pick that a team in the running for Cutler has is Cleveland at #5. If Denver ended up with the number 5 pick (perhaps swapping #12 as part of a deal, as I suggested above), then they would be in position to get Sanchez if Seattle went OL at #4, or to trade up with KC to #3. The #48 pick might do it, as KC has no 2nd round pick (the value is 420 vs. 500 difference between 3 and 5, which is reasonable given the premium). KC could quite possibly still get Curry at #5 if the draft went:

1. Detroit - Matt Stafford, QB
2. St. Louis - Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, OT
3. Denver - Mark Sanchez, QB
4. Seattle - whichever remaining OT was left, or Michael Crabtree
5. KC - Aaron Curry, LB

The problem with this scenario is that Denver gives up their 2nd rounder and uses their 1st rounder on a QB, just to replace Cutler. They might get something else from Cleveland (like the #36 pick, where they could take Ron Brace at DT), but it seems like a lot to give up to get a QB when they could get Brady Quinn from Cleveland much more cheaply.

So far the only one hinting at that is Lombardi, and what he said was he thinks this could have only happened if Josh fell in love with one of the draft candidates at the position. He's assuming that would be Sanchez, I assume because he came from USC. Only problem with that theory is, so did Leinart.

This is Michael Lombardi's take on possible Cutler destinations:

The National Football Post | Notes From Lombardi: Where To Next?

Lombardi does mention Sanchez as a possible target for Denver, but he presents it as pure speculation based on his assessment that Sanchez's style would fit McDaniels scheme.

Lombardi seems to view the Browns and Jets as the most likely suitors, giving an edge to the Browns because they have more value to trade.

Two particular comments of interest:

- Regarding the Jets: "The Jets have a huge need, but they have very few assets to make them an attractive trading partner – and they don’t have a quarterback on the roster who would be to McDaniels’ liking. The key to being able to make a trade for Cutler will center on who has the best way for McDaniels to get his “guy.” Unless the Jets are willing to overpay, I can’t imagine they have enough ammunition to get a deal done."
- Regarding the Brows: "One thing that’s certain is that new Browns coach Eric Mangini is not sold on Quinn and is not convinced that he’s the Browns’ quarterback of the future — a future that Mangini has been given the authority to control. ... Mangini loved the big arm of Brett Favre last year, and he knows Cutler can make the same throws in the same style."

The NY Post reports that the Jets are gearing up for a run at Cutler, and speculate on players that the Jets could possibly offer in addition to picks (mentioning David Harris):

Jets after Jay Cutler as Broncos put quarterback on trading block

Finally, Foxsports is reporting that Cutler says he "didn't want to be traded":

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Cutler speaks: 'I didn't want to get traded'

And the soap opera continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST