PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jared Odrick .. whatcha think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto, personally if Dunlap checks out off the field and in interviews then I'd take him over Odrick. But, I would be very very pleased with Odrick as the pick at 22. Our dline would pretty much be set, and looking very good. If we do take Odrick we'd better take at least one outside backer in the second round (Austen Lane please).

the problem with dunlap is that he is too light for the 3-4 DE spot

I would much rather see BB trade up and take Suh. Suh is a much better player than Odrick and there is little to no chance he gets washed out on any running play.

I'm not going to argue that Suh is a better prospect than Odrick, but it would probably take the Patriots first and two of their second round picks to get him.

JaoD would seem to be that best pick at #22 for us. I am expecting a move from the #22 pick for some reason. I would be happy with Odrick at #22, no doubts.

Assuming we can't/don't want to trade #22, my thought now is to draft Odrick and then trade up to early second for Jerry Hughes.

DR44 - I second this motion! Great minds think alike.

Seriously, with Sey / Green gone and Wright better suited as super sub - we need a dependable starting DE ASAP. You have to hit on your first round picks and so would much rather get a Warren type steady although unspectacular DE - than roll the dice for a boom or bust player. Then roll the dice with one of our 2nd rounders on a DE conversion to OLB - who probably won't peak for a couple years anyway making the transition from DE to 3-4 OLB. But what I have read on Odrick - he sounds like a safe bet plus it is an area of immediate need.

As far as trading up in 2nd round, quite likely some movement for Pats in 2nd round as A) Bill has done this in 2nd round time and time again B) our 3 seconds are bunched pretty close together so maybe worth moving one of them higher up.

However, there is one potential problem with moving up in THIS years second round. First it will be on the second draft day and so teams will have overnight to re-stack their boards, completely re-analyze needs after their first round pick, and make new prospective calls for trade deals. Thus, I expect more 'action' for those top 2nd round picks PLUS not to mention many of the second rounders are considered first round talent. So there should be alot of competition and good offers for those high 2nd round picks.

I actually think Pats will field alot of calls for our pick #44 - as teams know Pats more likely to deal a 2nd rounder being we have three of them. I expect one of them will be dealt - not sure what for ......#44 seems too low for a first rounder in 2011. But possibly trading down for additional picks. # 44 has draft chart value of 460 points - which is equal to 2 third rounders. Note: there are 4 teams with multiple 3 round picks (Oakland, Philly, Clev and 'Zona). I could easily see Bill doing this and then making the 3rd round pick (how about TE/RB) and then flipping the other 3rd rounder for a 2nd rounder in 2011. :bricks:

But if Pats could move up alittle in 2nd by packaging 6, 7th (as projected to get FOUR 7th round comps) - then fine by me. Although 6th and 7th will probably only bump the pick up a few spots (in front of FINS -YES!)

If nothing else it will be a very interesting draft from Pats fans perspective. Conversely, not so much fun in the draft if you are a Bears fan.

For what it is worth, the guy that does the evaluations for the huddle report isn't very high on Odrick. Views him as overrated, with lots of talent but production that hasn't lived up to the talent potential.

Lots of his takes over the past few years have been different from conventional wisdom of other draft guru's. He's been right sometimes and wrong others, so its not like he's always right, but it adds a different perspective.

I would much rather see BB trade up and take Suh. Suh is a much better player than Odrick and there is little to no chance he gets washed out on any running play.

True, but Ochmed you know that there is no chance in Bills locker room that a rookie will be the highest paid player on the team. (2nd highest after TB extension is worked out). Not gonna happen as much as we would like. However, maybe the next mini- Suh is waiting for Pats in 2011. We need to root hard against Raiders this year!

Something tells me that Odrick won't be around at 22. And neither will Graham. And if we want Hughes, we may have to take him right there.

I think there's going to be a run on DL and there are a lot of 3-4 teams sitting ahead of the Pats.

JaoD would seem to be that best pick at #22 for us. I am expecting a move from the #22 pick for some reason. I would be happy with Odrick at #22, no doubts.

Two possible trades:

1. A trade of 22 and 116 FOR 36 and 50 (both owned by Kansas City)

2. A trade of 44 and 47 brings back 26 and 130 (both owned by Arizona)

So, the Patriots go from 22, 44, 47, 116 TO 26, 36, 50, 130.

Two possible trades:

Ughh, we're gonna trade back again aren't we?

Two possible trades:

not bad but what happened with 53? :confused:

I seem to find reasons to disagree that Jared Odrick is overrated and those reasons are very much the opposite reasons of why I don't like Brandon Graham. First of all, Jared has great size - from his hands, arms, height and weight. Second, his play on the field matches his measureables - meaning there isn't much upside to Odrick, what you see is what you get. So yeah, I guess he isn't a "sexy" pick for any team. He is just one of those guys that digs in and holds the line, freeing up an outside linebacker like he did at Penn State when he had Aaron Maybin as a teammate.

If it were between Suh and Odrick at the 22nd pick, there would be no question about my choice and vice versa if we were picking in the top 3...

So we aren't comparing oranges to oranges when your suggesting moving up, giving up picks, and handing over $30 million guaranteed to a rookie.

I seem to find reasons to disagree that Jared Odrick is overrated and those reasons are very much the opposite reasons of why I don't like Brandon Graham. First of all, Jared has great size - from his hands, arms, height and weight. Second, his play on the field matches his measureables - meaning there isn't much upside to Odrick, what you see is what you get. So yeah, I guess he isn't a "sexy" pick for any team. He is just one of those guys that digs in and holds the line, freeing up an outside linebacker like he did at Penn State when he had Aaron Maybin as a teammate.

If it were between Suh and Odrick at the 22nd pick, there would be no question about my choice and vice versa if we were picking in the top 3...

So we aren't comparing oranges to oranges when your suggesting moving up, giving up picks, and handing over $30 million guaranteed to a rookie.

Here's the thing, Odrick only works if we get at least one great pass rushing outside linebacker later on.

Here's the thing, Odrick only works if we get at least one great pass rushing outside linebacker later on.

Here's the thing, the "one great pass rushing outside linebacker" only works if the defensive linemen in front of him can hold the line of scrimmage and not allow the tackles to get to the second level of the defense. I could say that one "great running back" is what this team needs, but if you don't have a great line in front of him (or at the every least a system) then not even Curtis Martin could rush for a 1,500 yards.

Assuming we can't/don't want to trade #22, my thought now is to draft Odrick and then trade up to early second for Jerry Hughes.
That would be excellent!!

I'm SO torn between Graham or Odrick at 22.

I'm SO torn between Graham or Odrick at 22.

Theres no way its Graham at pick 22. Because Kiper has picked him in his mock and he NEVER gets the Pats first round picks right! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe