PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jared Odrick .. whatcha think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the consensus at this point is indeed that Odrick will be gone and Graham will be available.

Are we all really fine with Graham at 22?

if Jared Odrick, is not there Sergio Kindle, Mike Iupati, or trade out of the first round.

i straight up just added golden tate and spiller to my list at 22 of odrick, kindle, graham, or a top 5 tackle

If Odrick is gone, it seems reasonable to go offense. I don't see much drop in pass-rushing quality between 22 and 44.

Obviously much defends on who we pick up in the next few weeks, but Belichick could have an offensive first round board after Odrick.

Certainly Bryant, Spiller and Tate is a good start for a board. As you say Greshem and Benn and Pouncy could be on Belichick's board; perhaps even Matthews.

As of now, my gut says an offensive player makes sense. I think that there is greater need at DE and OLB, but I'm not sure 22 is the place to find the value.

Hell no.

I'd take Hughes at 22 before Graham. Possibly Kindle too. Hell, probably Gresham, Benn, or Tate as well. Possibly Pouncey.

I think Graham will be a fine player for somebody in the NFL. Hughes is definitely the better pass rusher, which is the whole point of us considering an OLB at 22.

mgteich u just made sum amazing points right there, i think we can cross out gresham in the first round for us imo

Last edited:
I agree that greshem is moving out of the first round on most boards.

mgteich u just made sum amazing points right there, i think we can cross out gresham in the first round for us imo

i think he'll go first round but not to us, and i rather take a hernandez, pitta, dray, ****son, etc. late n the 2nd...value at 22 i could c dez bryant, tate, spiller, or us hopefully going with odrick, graham, kindle, pouncey..i want a mangold, alex mack type center for our team by 2011

Kindle, Graham, hughes, Pouncey are the best pix in my opinion for the patriots at 22, i keep narrowing it down each second

Pouncey caught my eye as well when I read that he is really tough, really smart, and had no problem handling big 3-4 NTs like Mount Cody. I don't know how true that is or how much they like Ohrnberger at C but sounds like a BB guy. I remember Ohrnberger getting a similar really tough dude assesment last year, so maybe they're already grooming him to take Koppen's spot. Another Pat fan I was talking to thought Pouncey'd be a reach at 22.

if Jared Odrick, is not there Sergio Kindle, Mike Iupati, or trade out of the first round.

Neither Kindle nor Iupati fit the Pats mold for their positions. And Kindle had a very poor showing at the Combine.

What concerns me about Odrick is that he was not consistent until 2009. He would disappear for many plays. He also had some off field issues with drinking and being rowdy.

So my concern with him is once he gets his 1st round bonus, will he be dedicated. It's certainly happened before with others. If he has matured and is a dedicated pro, then he would be a player that the Patriots could use at RDE.
"Odrick idled until his junior season when he began to realize his potential. He's considered one of the top defensive line prospects in the 2010 draft."

He's had two consistent seasons playing well. You elected officials are always a day late and dipping into my wallet so I'm a dollar short.

Neither Kindle nor Iupati fit the Pats mold for their positions. And Kindle had a very poor showing at the Combine.

I read somewhere that Kindle underwent a bit of a position change this year. He spent more time at end with his hand on the ground. Supposedly he flourished and showed more explosiveness standing up, the previous year. He is and intriguing prospect. I don't know if pigeonholing him due to his size will be a true indicator of his ability.....

I read somewhere that Kindle underwent a bit of a position change this year. He spent more time at end with his hand on the ground. Supposedly he flourished and showed more explosiveness standing up, the previous year. He is and intriguing prospect. I don't know if pigeonholing him due to his size will be a true indicator of his ability.....

Actually, the "position change," started last year with him playing more DE than LB. During his Freshman and Sophomore years, he was primarily a special teamer and LBer. And it wasn't until the change to DE that he actually got BETTER.

While you think he's intriguing, I look at a kid who is still grossly immature despite having a kid himself. I see a player who is better suited to the 4-3 DE end position in general than OLB for the Pats. Kindle also has 2 off-field incidents that are of concern. A DUI and he recently ran his car into an apartment building because he was texting while driving.

Actually, the "position change," started last year with him playing more DE than LB. During his Freshman and Sophomore years, he was primarily a special teamer and LBer. And it wasn't until the change to DE that he actually got BETTER.

While you think he's intriguing, I look at a kid who is still grossly immature despite having a kid himself. I see a player who is better suited to the 4-3 DE end position in general than OLB for the Pats. Kindle also has 2 off-field incidents that are of concern. A DUI and he recently ran his car into an apartment building because he was texting while driving.

Here's a link to the scouting report. They basically say that he struggled at end and would be better upright in the NFL. Texting while driving is dangerous.....Scouting Report - Sergio Kindle OLB Texas

Since this is an Odrick thread being hijacked. My crystal ball has him going to the Jets in RD 1!!

I don't think that Odrick provides enough bang for the buck at 22. I want somebody at that spot who can either create sacks, TOs, INTs, TDs, or can protect Brady for the rest of his career. Odrick seems to do none of these things; in fact, he seems to be nothing more than a small upgrade over Mike Wright.

I would rather that Bill try to trade 6-8 spots down in exchange for a 3rd-rounder; then, with the 28th-30th pick, select Maurkice Pouncey. There should still be quality WRs & Pass-Rushers avail. with the 44th & 47th & 53rd picks.

If everyone thinks odrick is the obvious choice for us, then I expect him to become a Cleveland Brown because Mangini is always out to get us.

I would rather that Bill try to trade 6-8 spots down in exchange for a 3rd-rounder; then, with the 28th-30th pick, select Maurkice Pouncey. There should still be quality WRs & Pass-Rushers avail. with the 44th & 47th & 53rd picks.

Do you realize that Pouncey played in a spread option offense and has no experience with a QB under center,no experience in the zone blocking scheme, no experience in blocking for a traditional running game and has no experience in making line calls since Tebow did it all for him.

In other words this guy is a horrible pick for us and would look good in a Raiders uniform.

I don't think that Odrick provides enough bang for the buck at 22. I want somebody at that spot who can either create sacks, TOs, INTs, TDs, or can protect Brady for the rest of his career. Odrick seems to do none of these things; in fact, he seems to be nothing more than a small upgrade over Mike Wright.

He's a prototypical 3-4 end, one of only a few in this draft and fills a hole that desperately needs to be addressed. I don't know about you but I didn't enjoy watching the Ravens just run train on us off of left tackle. You can't win in the NFL with bad line play, our OL is good enough to win but our DL clearly isn't.

Do you realize that Pouncey played in a spread option offense and has no experience with a QB under center, no experience in the zone blocking scheme, no experience in blocking for a traditional running game and has no experience in making line calls since Tebow did it all for him.

In other words this guy is a horrible pick for us and would look good in a Raiders uniform.

As far as I know, Pouncey had no problems snapping to a QB under Center during Senior Bowl week. As for the other matters, just because he is inexperienced in them doesn't nec. mean that he would be incompetent in them when given a year to learn them.

I am tired of seeing Koppen being too-frequently blown-up by simply decent DT/NTs, who are becoming stronger as he is becoming weaker in his dotage. Brady needs replacements not only for Koppen, but also for Neal & Light. Light's replacement may already be on the roster, but Koppen & Neal's replacements are most cert. not on the roster. Pouncey has experience at both Center & Guard, so he can fill-in for Neal when his inevitable 4-6 game injury occurs. He can also apprentice under Koppen at the same time.

This OL has had "protection issues" for Brady ever since The SB Which Shall Not Be Named. This needs to stop, and it needs to stop ASAP. And it needs to begin at Center, the weakest position on the OL, esp. if Kaczur can show that he can successfully transition inside.

Besides, the only other Center carrying a starting grade is Tennant, and I don't think he warrants one of our 2nds because I don't think he can hold his position well enough to dominate as a 2nd-round OLman should.

If Pouncey is a horrible pick for us, then Odrick would be beyond horrible, if for no other reason than Penn State DLmen have been mal-coached for the last decade-plus and have therefore had a less-than-impressive track record in the NFL. I wouldn't begin to consider him until #53.

As far as I know, Pouncey had no problems snapping to a QB under Center during Senior Bowl week. As for the other matters, just because he is inexperienced in them doesn't nec. mean that he would be incompetent in them when given a year to learn them.

Belichick never drafted an underclassmen guard, center or offensive tackle since he's been with the Patriots. So the odds of drafting Pouncey are not very good.

Overall Belichick drafted eight underclassmen since he's been with the Patriots. In five out of the ten draft classes under BB, no underclassmen was chosen. The highest number of underclassmen was drafted in 2004, when they picked up three underclassmen in Vince Wilfork, Marquise Hill and P.K. Sam.

I wasn't aware of Bill's history re: drafting underclassmen. It cert. doesn't bode well for the chances of drafting Pouncey, does it? However, he does have a lot of games under his belt anyway, and maybe FOB Urban Meyer can put in a good word for him.

and Iupati is over-rated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back