PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jared Odrick .. whatcha think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many think of Pouncey and Odrick as being the perfect Belichick linemen. They are both absolutely ready for the nfl and can immediately contribute at more than one position.

I am personally fine with using a #22 pick for a C/OG. I liked Eric Wood last year. Belichick is also fine with a first round guard if the value is there. After all, he drafted Mankins in the late first.

Belichick never drafted an underclassmen guard, center or offensive tackle since he's been with the Patriots. So the odds of drafting Pouncey are not very good.

Overall Belichick drafted eight underclassmen since he's been with the Patriots. In five out of the ten draft classes under BB, no underclassmen was chosen. The highest number of underclassmen was drafted in 2004, when they picked up three underclassmen in Vince Wilfork, Marquise Hill and P.K. Sam.

You sir, win my most interesting Pats trivial fact of the day! I knew he had a strong track record of taking seniors (normally a couple that were in that years Senior bowl) - but I never realized it was that strong a proportion (only 8 underclassmen since HC of NEP).

I am trying to think of the reasons. Obviously you should have a greater body of work to review if draftee stays senior year. But there might also be additional positive factors why BB views it as a benefit to stay on as senior. ex. (Brainstorming) - dedication to team / teamates, finish education (long term motivation ISO short term financial gains of entering draft ), body has one more year to mature, emotionally one more year to mature / handle pressure of trying to graduate 'on time' (before scholarship runs out).

I am personally fine with using a #22 pick for a C/OG. I liked Eric Wood last year. Belichick is also fine with a first round guard if the value is there. After all, he drafted Mankins in the late first.

I don't think taking a C/G in round 1 is such a good idea. It is highly unlikley any college player would be better than Koppen, Mankins or Neal. The Patriots took Mankins when there was no clear starter at LG. Drafting a player in round 1 to be a backup offensive lineman doesn't make much sense.

On the D Line there is usually a rotation so a rookie would be getting snaps right out of the gate.

IMO if there is not a player they really like at #22 then trade back.

I can def. see this happening; in fact, I hope this does happen so that we can pick up a 3rd-rounder this year.

Then again, that's what I thought Bill would do in 2007. So I wouldn't be too surprised either way.

Kindle also has 2 off-field incidents that are of concern. A DUI and he recently ran his car into an apartment building because he was texting while driving.

Didn't he also flee the scene after driving his car into the building? That fleeing part to me is evn more troubling than the actual driving/texting part. Also, the fact that he's got 2 such issues is enough to take him off my board. Hopefully someone will grab this guy before 22.

Belichick never drafted an underclassmen guard, center or offensive tackle since he's been with the Patriots. So the odds of drafting Pouncey are not very good.

Overall Belichick drafted eight underclassmen since he's been with the Patriots. In five out of the ten draft classes under BB, no underclassmen was chosen. The highest number of underclassmen was drafted in 2004, when they picked up three underclassmen in Vince Wilfork, Marquise Hill and P.K. Sam.

My read of this makes it seem like BB is averse to picking juniors. This doesn't seem to be the case with 1st round picks. BB has picked an underclassman in the first round in 3 of the 8 drafts where he had/used a first round pick, and in 3 of the last 5 drafts where he picked in the 1st round, the pick was a junior. I think he is as likely as not to pick a junior or senior dependent on his elusive concept of "value". Before he picked Mayo (or Maroney for that matter), past behavior would have suggested that he would not pick a junior linebacker. But past behavior in such a small sample size is notoriously poor at predicting future behavior, so I for one would not rule in or out anyone based on past drafts.

2000 - No 1st round pick
2001 - Seymour (Senior)
2002 - Graham (Senior)
2003 - Warren (Senior)
2004 - Wilfork (Junior) & Watkins (Senior)
2005 - Mankins (Senior)
2006 - Maroney (Junior)
2007 - Meriweather (Senior)
2008 - Mayo (Junior)
2009 - Traded Out of first round

But past behavior in such a small sample size is notoriously poor at predicting future behavior, so I for one would not rule in or out anyone based on past drafts.

You are right, three out of eight is not that bad, but outside of the first round only five out 81 draftpicks under BB were underclassmen. So while drafting an underclassmen in the first round shouldn't be ruled out at all, the chances that the Patriots will draft an underclassmen after the first round are pretty slim.

I agree that a draftee would be a backup for his rookie year. HOWEVER, a player like Pouncy could start at any of the three interior positions, depending on who we keep of the three current starters for the 2011 season. Such a player also provides a much better option than Connelly when one of the interior linemen is injured.

My bottom line is that the offensive line is stronger in 2010 and in the next four seasons if Pouncy is drafted.

This is not the 2008 draft. There are solid guards in the second, but not one who can start at three positions.
==================

Would I rather have Odrick or Spiller or Matthews or Tate? Sure! But I do think that we'd be a much better team with Pouncy drafted.

And just BTW, I am not sure that Pouncy wouldn't be better than Koppen or better than Connolly when Neal is out.

I don't think taking a C/G in round 1 is such a good idea. It is highly unlikley any college player would be better than Koppen, Mankins or Neal. The Patriots took Mankins when there was no clear starter at LG. Drafting a player in round 1 to be a backup offensive lineman doesn't make much sense.

On the D Line there is usually a rotation so a rookie would be getting snaps right out of the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back