PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GBN Big Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please no more slot receiver suggestions, we have Welker and Edelman. We need a true wideout. The only guy under 6'1", 200lbs that I might consider is Tate.

Great Blue North has updated their big board of the top 185 prospects in the 2010 draft:

Great Blue North Draft Report

Some interesting rankings of note (I've posted NFLdraftscout's ranking for comparison):

9. Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida - too high for him right now (13)
10. Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama (10)
11. Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa (24)
12. Sergio Kindle, LB, Texas - seem a bit high (21)
15. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, USF (43)
18. Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho (22)
20. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson (6)
28. Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama (49)
30. Maurkice Pouncey, OG/C, Florida (38)
33. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland - too low (27)
34. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech (18)
36. Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU (52)
38. Everson Griffen, DE, USC (14)
40. Ricky Sapp, LB, Clemson (17)
44. Tim Tebow, QB, Forida (28)
46. Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi (73)
48. Jahvid Best, RB, USC (30)
50. Eric Norwood, LB, South Carolina (102)
52. Jared Odrick, DT, Penn St. (31)
54. Corey Wootten, DE, Northwestern (33)
59. Ciron Black, OT, LSU - way too high (110)
63. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama (66)
64. Dexter McCluster, RB, Mississippi (81)
72. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse (94)
75. Austen Lane, DE, Murray St. (96)
81. Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois (58)
83. Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee - way undervalued; will be a 1st round pick (25)
110. Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky (118)
117. Vlad Ducasse, OG, UMass - way undervalued (82)
146. O'Brien Schofield, LB, Wisconsin (104)
151. Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale - could go much higher (145)
158. Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina (216)
171. Sean Canfield, QB, Oregon St. - way undervalued (85)
182. Doug Worthington, DT, Ohio St. (281)
183. Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana - way undervalued (142)

Guys not in the top 185 who are undervalued:

- Chris Marinelli, OT, Stanford (226)
- Tony Moeaki, TE, Iowa (100)
- Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green (159)
- Brandon Deaderick, DT/DE, Alabama (304)

Drafttek just updated their big board today, for futher comparison.

Some players of note, ranked by the average of the 3 draft boards (rounded up or down):

10. Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama: 10 Draftscout, 10 GBN, 10 Drafttek
11. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson: 6 Draftscout, 20 GBN, 8 Drafttek
11. Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida: 13 Draftscout, 9 GBN, 12 Drafttek
18. Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa: 24 Draftscout, 11 GBN, 20 Drafttek
21. Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: 22 Draftscout, 18 GBN, 24 Drafttek
21. Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Clemson: 21 Draftscout, 12 GBN, 30 Drafttek
21. Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson: 17 Draftscout, 40 GBN, 23 Drafttek
22. Everson Griffen, DE, USC: 14 Draftscout, 38 GBN, 15 Drafttek
24. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech: 18 Draftscout, 34 GBN, 19 Drafttek
26. Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan: 23 Draftscout, 32 GBN, 22 Drafttek
28. Brian Price, DT, UCLA: 34 Draftscout, 21 GBN, 28 Drafttek
31. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, USF: 43 Draftscout, 15 GBN, 36 Drafttek
31. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland: 27 Draftscout, 33 GBN, 32 Drafttek
32. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma: 37 Draftscout, 27 GBN, 33 Drafttek
33. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida: 41 Draftscout, 25 GBN, 34 Drafttek
34. Jahvid Best, RB, Cal: 30 Draftscout, 48 GBN, 25 Drafttek
37. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida: 28 Draftscout, 44 GBN, 39 Drafttek
37. Jared Odrick, DT, Penn St: 31 Draftscout, 52 GBN, 29 Drafttek
38. Corey Wootten, DE, Northwestern: 33 Draftscout, 54 GBN, 27 Drafttek
38. Maurkice Pouncey, OG/C, Florida: 38 Draftscout, 30 GBN, 45 Drafttek
41. Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama: 49 Draftscout, 28 GBN, 46 Drafttek
43. Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: 25 Draftscout, 83 GBN, 21 Drafttek
45. Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU: 52 Draftscout, 36 GBN, 48 Drafttek
58. Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi: 73 Draftscout, 46 GBN, 54 Drafttek
65. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama: 66 Draftscout, 63 GBN, 67 Drafttek
65. Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois: 58 Draftscout, 81 GBN, 56 Drafttek
75. Dexter McCluster, RB, Mississippi: 81 Draftscout, 64 GBN, 79 Drafttek
81. Eric Norwood, DE/LB, South Carolina: 102 Draftscout, 50 GBN, 90 Drafttek
83. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse: 94 Draftscout, 72 GBN, 83 Drafttek90. Vlad Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass: 82 Draftscout, 117 GBN, 71 Drafttek
90. Austen Lane, DE, Murray St.: 96 Draftscout, 75 GBN, 100 Drafttek
119. O'Brien Schofield, DE/OLB, Wisconsin: 104 Draftscout, 146 GBN, 106 Drafttek
146. Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale: 145 Draftscout, 151 GBN, 141 Drafttek

Averaging the 3 drafts may give some indication of roughly where prospects stand right now, though a few prospects seem over- or under-valued to me. Rankings may change considerably in the next 3 months, of course. It also seems like there is often fairly tight agreement between NFLdraftscout and Drafttek, with GBN differing considerably in their rankings.

Why exclude all the WR's? It seems to be a glaring need for high end talent and for depth. Only Edelman is a probability to return next year. I'd bet Welker misses the season and wouldn't be surprised if we dished Moss.

I know you don't want to draft one, but you should acknowledge that we might.

Last edited:
Why exclude all the WR's? It seems to be a glaring need for high end talent and for depth. Only Edelman is a probability to return next year. I'd bet Welker misses the season and wouldn't be surprised if we dished Moss.

I know you don't want to draft one, but you should acknowledge that we might.

I include the players that I think are of interest. I don't have a monopoly on posting information, and I provide the link to the sources. It takes time and effort to combine all 3 into a list.

If you want the WRs included, feel free to add them in.

Should include Scouts Inc. too.

NFL - National Football League - ESPN

Though they keep updating the rankings, I notice that Locker is still in there.

If you want to include Scouts Inc., again, feel free to include them and work out the comparisons in their rankins yourself. They only have a top 32, which is why I didn't include them, as the other lists were all at least 185 players deep. Big difference.

Mayo, my tallent sensei, curious to your thoughts on the value of Eric Norwood. I've given him a hard look lately as a Mike, and I think that he is the answer. He can bring the interior pressure, is a beast in taking on and shedding blocks, and brings some great fluidity for a guy of his stocky stature. Do you think he would be a good 2b choice?

If you want to include Scouts Inc., again, feel free to include them and work out the comparisons in their rankins yourself. They only have a top 32, which is why I didn't include them, as the other lists were all at least 185 players deep. Big difference.

I could give you there top 100, but I'd have to kill you after (though I'm not entirely up on internet law).

Again, I can't believe you'd think WR's are not of interest, but so be it. I'm not going to do the work, but do appreciate the time and effort you put in, so keep it up and don't let me hassle you.

Mayo, my tallent sensei, curious to your thoughts on the value of Eric Norwood. I've given him a hard look lately as a Mike, and I think that he is the answer. He can bring the interior pressure, is a beast in taking on and shedding blocks, and brings some great fluidity for a guy of his stocky stature. Do you think he would be a good 2b choice?

I've been touting Eric Norwood's natural position for us as being a Mike for over a year now.

Norwood's strengths are maximized at SILB, and his weaknesses minimized. His lack of height and elite speed off the edge do not matter. His strength, ability to take on blockers and stack and shed, ability to read and react, ability to get interior penetration and generate pressure up the middle, and nose for the ball are at a premium. I've had him ranked my #2 SILB prospect behind Rolando McClain for the entire season.

From other posts, Box O' Rocks agrees that Norwood's utlimate position with us would be SILB, but thinks he needs a year or 2 to adjust. I'd be curious to hear his analysis.

Norwood started out this season on fire and was talked up as a potential 1st round pick, but he's slipped out of the limelight a bit since then. Right now he seems to be rated a late 2nd or 3rd round pick, and I think he would be tremendous value there, depending on what we do to address the SILB position in FA. He's currently my #3 option after Karlos Dansby and Rolando McClain, and obviously more cost-effective than either.

Rankings may change considerably in the next 3 months, of course.

You betcha. Right after Senior Bowl practices, then the Combine and Pro Days. They'll be moving up, down, in, and out. :popcorn:

Drafttek just updated their big board today, for futher comparison.

Some players of note, ranked by the average of the 3 draft boards (rounded up or down):

10. Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama: 10 DS, 10 GBN, 10 Drafttek
11. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson: 6 Draftscout, 20 GBN, 8 Drafttek
11. Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida: 13 Draftscout, 9 GBN, 12 Drafttek
18. Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa: 24 Draftscout, 11 GBN, 20 Drafttek
21. Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: 22 Draftscout, 18 GBN, 24 Drafttek
21. Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Clemson: 21 Draftscout, 12 GBN, 30 Drafttek
21. Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson: 17 Draftscout, 40 GBN, 23 Drafttek
22. Everson Griffen, DE, USC: 14 Draftscout, 38 GBN, 15 Drafttek
24. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech: 18 Draftscout, 34 GBN, 19 Drafttek
26. Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan: 23 Draftscout, 32 GBN, 22 Drafttek
28. Brian Price, DT, UCLA: 34 Draftscout, 21 GBN, 28 Drafttek
31. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, USF: 43 Draftscout, 15 GBN, 36 Drafttek
31. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland: 27 Draftscout, 33 GBN, 32 Drafttek
32. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma: 37 Draftscout, 27 GBN, 33 Drafttek
33. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida: 41 Draftscout, 25 GBN, 34 Drafttek
34. Jahvid Best, RB, Cal: 30 Draftscout, 48 GBN, 25 Drafttek
37. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida: 28 Draftscout, 44 GBN, 39 Drafttek
37. Jared Odrick, DT, Penn St: 31 Draftscout, 52 GBN, 29 Drafttek
38. Corey Wootten, DE, Northwestern: 33 Draftscout, 54 GBN, 27 Drafttek
38. Maurkice Pouncey, OG/C, Florida: 38 Draftscout, 30 GBN, 45 Drafttek
41. Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama: 49 Draftscout, 28 GBN, 46 Drafttek
43. Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: 25 Draftscout, 83 GBN, 21 Drafttek
45. Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU: 52 Draftscout, 36 GBN, 48 Drafttek
58. Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi: 73 Draftscout, 46 GBN, 54 Drafttek
65. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama: 66 Draftscout, 63 GBN, 67 Drafttek
65. Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois: 58 Draftscout, 81 GBN, 56 Drafttek
75. Dexter McCluster, RB, Mississippi: 81 Draftscout, 64 GBN, 79 Drafttek
81. Eric Norwood, DE/LB, South Carolina: 102 Draftscout, 50 GBN, 90 Drafttek
83. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse: 94 Draftscout, 72 GBN, 83 Drafttek90. Vlad Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass: 82 Draftscout, 117 GBN, 71 Drafttek
90. Austen Lane, DE, Murray St.: 96 Draftscout, 75 GBN, 100 Drafttek
119. O'Brien Schofield, DE/OLB, Wisconsin: 104 Draftscout, 146 GBN, 106 Drafttek
146. Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale: 145 Draftscout, 151 GBN, 141 Drafttek

Averaging the 3 drafts may give some indication of roughly where prospects stand right now, though a few prospects seem over- or under-valued to me. Rankings may change considerably in the next 3 months, of course. It also seems like there is often fairly tight agreement between NFLdraftscout and Drafttek, with GBN differing considerably in their rankings.

Here's an updated averaged set of rankings, factoring in rankings from The Huddle Report (THR):

9. Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama: 10 Draftscout, 10 GBN, 10 Drafttek, 9 THR
11. Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida: 13 Draftscout, 9 GBN, 12 Drafttek, 12 THR
12. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson: 6 Draftscout, 20 GBN, 8 Drafttek, 14 THR
18. Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa: 24 Draftscout, 11 GBN, 20 Drafttek, 17 THR
21. Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: 22 Draftscout, 18 GBN, 24 Drafttek, 19 THR
21. Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Clemson: 21 Draftscout, 12 GBN, 30 Drafttek, 23 THR
23. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech: 18 Draftscout, 34 GBN, 19 Drafttek, 21 THR
24. Everson Griffen, DE, USC: 14 Draftscout, 38 GBN, 15 Drafttek, 28 THR
25. Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan: 23 Draftscout, 32 GBN, 22 Drafttek, 2 THR
27. Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson: 17 Draftscout, 40 GBN, 23 Drafttek, 29 THR
27. Brian Price, DT, UCLA: 34 Draftscout, 21 GBN, 28 Drafttek, 26 THR
28. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, USF: 43 Draftscout, 15 GBN, 36 Drafttek, 20 THR
30. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma: 37 Draftscout, 27 GBN, 33 Drafttek, 22 THR
32. Jahvid Best, RB, Cal: 30 Draftscout, 48 GBN, 25 Drafttek, 27 THR
33. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland: 27 Draftscout, 33 GBN, 32 Drafttek, 39 THR
33. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida: 41 Draftscout, 25 GBN, 34 Drafttek, 31 THR
36. Jared Odrick, DT, Penn St: 31 Draftscout, 52 GBN, 29 Drafttek, 34 THR
37. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida: 28 Draftscout, 44 GBN, 39 Drafttek, 37 THR
37. Corey Wootten, DE, Northwestern: 33 Draftscout, 54 GBN, 27 Drafttek, 35 THR
40. Maurkice Pouncey, OG/C, Florida: 38 Draftscout, 30 GBN, 45 Drafttek, 49 THR
41. Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama: 49 Draftscout, 28 GBN, 46 Drafttek, 42 THR
42. Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: 25 Draftscout, 83 GBN, 21 Drafttek, 38 THR
45. Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU: 52 Draftscout, 36 GBN, 48 Drafttek, 45 THR
50. Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi: 73 Draftscout, 46 GBN, 54 Drafttek, 43 THR
65. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama: 66 Draftscout, 63 GBN, 67 Drafttek, 66 THR
69. Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois: 58 Draftscout, 81 GBN, 56 Drafttek, 83 THR
76. Eric Norwood, DE/LB, South Carolina: 102 Draftscout, 50 GBN, 90 Drafttek, 63 THR
77. Dexter McCluster, RB, Mississippi: 81 Draftscout, 64 GBN, 79 Drafttek, 85 THR
77. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse: 94 Draftscout, 72 GBN, 83 Drafttek, 58 THR
86. Vlad Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass: 82 Draftscout, 117 GBN, 71 Drafttek, 76 THR
102. Austen Lane, DE, Murray St.: 96 Draftscout, 75 GBN, 100 Drafttek, 123 THR
114. O'Brien Schofield, DE/OLB, Wisconsin: 104 Draftscout, 146 GBN, 106 Drafttek, 99 THR
139. Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale: 145 Draftscout, 151 GBN, 141 Drafttek, 119 THR

I could give you there top 100, but I'd have to kill you after (though I'm not entirely up on internet law).

Again, I can't believe you'd think WR's are not of interest, but so be it. I'm not going to do the work, but do appreciate the time and effort you put in, so keep it up and don't let me hassle you.

I think Bill will go to free agency for one WR and draft another one. Other than Moss, we only have Tate to play either the X or Z. I don't think Edelman is best suited to do that. Last year Bill signed Galloway, traded for Greg Lewis and drafted Tate. He struck out and now Tate is a question mark heading into next season. So wash, rinse, repeat. I expect to see two more Split End/Flanker types in camp. Lets hope at least one can contribute and stay healthy.

Jays, for another short but very strong guy who is good at stacking and shedding but lacks ideal height and speed, what about Brandon Graham as an SILB?

Here's an interesting profile from The Huddle Report which raises this possibility:

Brandon Graham DE Michigan

TALENT BOARD
- Round 2

STRENGTHS

Brandon is an athletic and talented football player. He does a great job playing in multiple fronts with his hand down at the college level. He shows good quickness off the line when pass rushing and shows nice strength when defending against the run for the college level. Brandon shows some leadership skills through his play on the field. He plays with commendable effort on every play until the last whistle, which is not to be taken lightly if you are looking for good players in the draft. He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler with an excellent burst to the play. He plays faster when he smells a sack or a tackle behind the line. Brandon has multiple talents to play varied positions in different styles of defense. I call him Brandon (The Stalker) Graham because he is like an animal that stalks its prey when he smells a possible tackle behind the line of scrimmage.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Currently, Brandon has to be considered a 'tweener for the next level. He is not big enough or strong enough to be a DE in a 4-3 or a DL in a 3-4. When he has his hand down in a 4-3, he struggles to get to the QB and can be handled easily because he lacks true pass rushing skills and 2nd moves. If he goes to the combine and shows some LB skills, the perfect fit will be as an OLB or ILB in a 3-4 defense. Unfortunately, because Brandon plays with his hand down all the time, I cannot say if he has enough LB skills to make that move.

BOTTOM LINE

Now, before everyone gets their underpants in a twist, I do like this kid's talent and he just might be drafted in the first round; however, it will depend on his workouts at the combine. I think he will be able to play and impact at the next level right away if he is drafted by a team with a smart defensive coordinator. If he shows good LB skills, some team may want to change him over to an ILB in a 3-4, but I think OLB is most likely to be his best position. Teams that run a 3-4 defense will rate Brandon higher than teams that run a 4-3 defense, which makes him a possible 1st rounder. He can impact right away as a special teamer and as a specialty pass rusher until he learns his new position. The truth is, I like Brandon's potential to play ILB in a 3-4 because of his strength, tackling ability and burst to the ball. Brandon lacks that true "quick twitch" off the line a pass rusher needs from a three point stance for a 4-3 defense. Brandon gets to the QB faster when he stunts inside. Coming from the outside (unless he is playing DE in a 3-4), the kid just doesn't have that quickness and speed for the next level to impact. It will all come down to Brandon's workouts to better predict in which round Brandon will be drafted. He could be drafted anywhere in the first three rounds. I like the way this kid plays, but his impact will depend on the defense in which he'll play at the next level.

Drew Boylhart 1/10

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/protected/2010DRAFT/PlayerProfiles/Brandon.Graham.htm
Obviously, Eric Norwood has much more LB experience and the conversion would probably be easier, but I could see Graham being a terrific SILB with time, much as I thought that Larry English could have been a terrific SILB for us last year. They seem like similar kind of players to me.

Thoughts?

From other posts, Box O' Rocks agrees that Norwood's utlimate position with us would be SILB, but thinks he needs a year or 2 to adjust. I'd be curious to hear his analysis.

Norwood started out this season on fire and was talked up as a potential 1st round pick, but he's slipped out of the limelight a bit since then. Right now he seems to be rated a late 2nd or 3rd round pick, and I think he would be tremendous value there, depending on what we do to address the SILB position in FA. He's currently my #3 option after Karlos Dansby and Rolando McClain, and obviously more cost-effective than either.
I didn't really catch any South Carolina games this season until they met UConn in their bowl game - what I saw from Norwood in the bowl game:
- Off the edge as a pass rusher he was his usual self, a constant menace to the QB.
- At the Mike he was tentative, which may have been scheme specific, but was troubling.
- At Sam and Will he was more natural in his reads and flow to the ball.
- At all three LB positions he, and the other LBs, were horrid taking on OL. They clearly had been coached to try and duck under the block, taking it on a shoulder, and getting creamed by the blocker more often than not.
- When he lined up at DE and had to deal with a run block, he reacted by using his hands which made him much more effective.
- His pass coverage is what it is, it's not a strength, but I think he can be coached up better there.

He and the coaches may break his new habits faster than I'm forecasting, I just don't want to go overboard predicting his success as he makes the move to the NFL and a new system if NE does draft him. Beyond that, he's the one pass rusher in this draft whom I most want to see in a NE uniform.

I didn't really catch any South Carolina games this season until they met UConn in their bowl game - what I saw from Norwood in the bowl game:
- Off the edge as a pass rusher he was his usual self, a constant menace to the QB.
- At the Mike he was tentative, which may have been scheme specific, but was troubling.
- At Sam and Will he was more natural in his reads and flow to the ball.
- At all three LB positions he, and the other LBs, were horrid taking on OL. They clearly had been coached to try and duck under the block, taking it on a shoulder, and getting creamed by the blocker more often than not.
- When he lined up at DE and had to deal with a run block, he reacted by using his hands which made him much more effective.
- His pass coverage is what it is, it's not a strength, but I think he can be coached up better there.

He and the coaches may break his new habits faster than I'm forecasting, I just don't want to go overboard predicting his success as he makes the move to the NFL and a new system if NE does draft him. Beyond that, he's the one pass rusher in this draft whom I most want to see in a NE uniform.

Thanks for the input. Good insights.

Box, you rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back