PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabaal Sheard is Another Player Deserving of a New Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he got less snaps than that. I suspect they increased significantly towards the end of the season. Thanks for the correction.

Its misleading b/c he missed 3 games and left the Indy game after 14 snaps so you can almost say he missed 4 games. Jones missed one and Nink played all 16.

I actually think it'd be really smart to lock up Sheard now.

If he has 12 ish sacks next year like I think he will... Well, we saw what Vernon got this year. Sheard could still be extended below the 10 million per year mark if we get him signed now.

When I said "limited role", I was referring to the small number of snaps he played compared to Nink and Jones. He played more in the playoffs, but I'm still waiting to see if he remains as productive when playing a higher percentage of snaps for a full season.
Yeah, I acknowledged both points in my original post.

Love Sheard, but he's a distant 4th behind Collins, Hightower and Butler in that order.

Butler is more important but Sheard is a greater priority because his deal is up this season. Butler doesn't hit priority status until after this season.

I presume that trade were available for Sheard as well as for Jones. Belichick chose to keep Sheard. I would think that this choice means that Belichick is expecting to extend Sheard.

If Sheard has a monster year hes screwed so he better hurry

Does Sheard make ten times what Butler makes?

In 2015 Jones averaged 57 snaps a game, Nink 55 and Sheard 43. Thats basically a couple of defensive series a game.

Sheard will have zero problem adapting more playing more as he played 800-900 snaps at CLE.

Its a non-issue.
Rob, I'm not disagreeing with you so much as I would like to make the point that he'll be asked to do more in NE than he was in CLE. That's stressful physically and mentally. So I think his productivity, while largely a non-issue to me, still bears some watching. You never really know how a player will respond until you've seen it play out. Some players are actually better when asked to do less/play less. With that said, I still almost entirely agree that I don't think it will be that big of an issue in this case.

Rob, I'm not disagreeing with you so much as I would like to make the point that he'll be asked to do more in NE than he was in CLE. That's stressful physically and mentally. So I think his productivity, while largely a non-issue to me, still bears some watching. You never really know how a player will respond until you've seen it play out. Some players are actually better when asked to do less/play less. With that said, I still almost entirely agree that I don't think it will be that big of an issue in this case.
Good points. You easily could be right.

I think at a minimum, he will hold up. It's s whole other question if he has the mental stamina and can vary his attack and his play be applicable to a multitude of situations like Nink or High.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft