PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk, Pats trying to reach new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
how are they going to lose him hes already locked up. if Gronk's unhappy to bad. he's lucky he got the deal he did considering his injury history. the pats need to sign Hightower collins butler Ninkovich ect. gronk needs to get in line and wait his turn.

Perhaps I need glasses, but where in that article or anywhere does it say that Gronk is "unhappy"? If you look in the Training Camp thread for today, there's an interview with him talking about celebrating scoring TDs with his teammates. Unless he's the most accomplished actor in the world, there's nothing about this that indicates unhappiness. In fact, if they do rework the deal he doesn't need to "get in line" because it will only help and accelerate the processes of signing the other guys, since the Pats will have the most space in the league next year.

As long as we re-sign Butler, Collins, hightower and sheard first.

Didn't know Sheard was represented by Rosenhaus.

Seems like their presence might be tied to him than Gronk.

With that said knocking down Gronks cap numbers and guaranteeing some salary might help sign the other more pressing matters
It's interesting that for all the trouble Rosenhaus has caused (for teams, he's great for players) he's always seemed to worked well with BB.

I said it before, why wouldn't you want to tie up an irreplaceable player like him? He outplayed his current contract and, of course, he can wait, hold out, or whatever. It's not like his contract is all guaranteed. If he's injured the team could still drop him. In the last year, he gets 9k, but only 2k guaranteed. That's not protection for him, that's a team friendly deal.

It's a business, he's a unique star. He deserves to get close to what he's worth. He's only a few months into his 27th year, fercrissakes.

instead of working on Gronk's contract. maybe they should work to resign players that actually have expiring contracts unlike Gronk.
I know. History has shown that the Patriots f### up everything in which they get involved. It's really starting to piss me off and I'm about a millimeter from becoming a Jets' fan. F### Belichick...

It's interesting that for all the trouble Rosenhaus has caused (for teams, he's great for players) he's always seemed to worked well with BB.
Agree. Recall reading from way back that BB respects Rosenhaus because he foundationalizes his arguments around statistics, sabremetrics and how the player helps the Patriots win (on/off the field) as opposed to screaming for money and holding the team hostage, there is a level of respect he has for him that does not exist with other agents.

Drew and BB have had some contentious negotiations and seem to have always figured things out.

Agree. Recall reading from way back that BB respects Rosenhaus because he foundationalizes his arguments around statistics, sabremetrics and how the player helps the Patriots win (on/off the field) as opposed to screaming for money and holding the team hostage, there is a level of respect he has for him that does not exist with other agents.

Drew and BB have had some contentious negotiations and seem to have always figured things out.
Interesting, I wonder how favorable BB is viewed by most agents. I'd think fairly well with the exception of Condon. I think people tend to underestimate those relationships. Danny Ainge is excellent at them and I believe that played a huge role in getting as close to KD as he did.

Since Gronk is due a maximum of $2.75m in cash the rest of the season very doubtful that any restructure/extension will create any meaningful cap space in 2016.

Since Gronk is due a maximum of $2.75m in cash the rest of the season very doubtful that any restructure/extension will create any meaningful cap space in 2016.

SAve for '17 and '18 most likely?

Gronk's 2016 salary could be lowered to a minimum of $760K.

Extend Gronk to lock him up for most of his career, give him a raise while lowering his cap hit for the next few years, then use that money toward signing Hightower, Collins, Butler.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Edit: almost forgot Sheard.

The Pats do not need to create cap space for the 2017/2018 seasons. They have plenty of space for both.

Reminder that any signing bonus can only be prorated over 5 years.

I know. History has shown that the Patriots f### up everything in which they get involved. It's really starting to piss me off and I'm about a millimeter from becoming a Jets' fan. F### Belichick...
huh??

Not sure if serious.

Yeah, they really don't know what they're doing. they need messageboard posters to guide them.

Sorry, folks, it was sarcasm...I'm a self-confessed Patriot and Belichick honk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents