Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Jabaal Sheard is Another Player Deserving of a New Contract

Steve Balestrieri

Veteran DE is still just 27 and entering prime of his career

The Patriots pulled off quite the steal last spring when they signed DE Jabaal Sheard via free agency from the Cleveland Browns. At the time, his two-year $11 million-dollar contract generated little on the national stage but like many of Bill Belichick’s moves, it was a bargain for the team. Now Sheard joins the ranks of those players deserving of a new deal.

Sheard fit right in with the Patriots at the DE position, logging in eight sacks and 58 quarterback pressures in 2015

Continue reading...

Yep.

Pats should sign all 4 of Hightower, Collins, Sheard and Butler long term though they can wait a year on Butler if they really want.

I want all 4 in this D for years to come.

Hes good player. Might be a n upgrade over Jones if he plays to his potential.

They have so many players up for new deals next year. Crazy.

Hes good player. Might be a n upgrade over Jones if he plays to his potential.

They have so many players up for new deals next year. Crazy.

If they are up for new deals next year, they may not be back.

Love Sheard, but he's a distant 4th behind Collins, Hightower and Butler in that order.

Is Sheard at $6M a distant fourth over Hightower at $10M? A lot depends on the money, as always.

Is Sheard at $6M a distant fourth over Hightower at $10M? A lot depends on the money, as always.

Do we really know what these guys are asking for right now? If Sheard's takes a 6M deal you keep him obviously, but we seen what insane contracts teams give pass rushers.

If Sheard has another year like last, he might get a 10+M deal in FA.

All in. He's fits the system and can play on both ends and kick inside when asked. High motor and violent , just like we like em. Not a liability vs the run and can play multiple defensive fronts.

More importantly , he's effective and consistent which is the only area he has a big advantage on someone like Chandler Jones.

He's your best pass rushing lineman right now.

What's funny is... McClellin , Jones and Sheard are 3 players the patriots loved at the draft... traded one and essentialy
ended up with the other 2. Lol..oh Bill.

All in. He's fits the system and can play on both ends and kick inside when asked. High motor and violent , just like we like em. Not a liability vs the run and can play multiple defensive fronts.

More importantly , he's effective and consistent which is the only area he has a big advantage on someone like Chandler Jones.

He's your best pass rushing lineman right now.
You're lucky Jones is no longer on the team or you would probably have had like 25 dislikes by now. There were Chandler police who would go toe-to-toe with you about Chandler Jones being an elite pass rusher. LOL

I'm all in on Sheard if they can manage to keep him somehow. He's a very good player who might actually be an upgrade because he does more things than Jones. I don't hate Jones at all, mind you. I just think Sheard is a more all-around type of guy who also rushes the passer slightly more effectively. But he, I don't recollect, has received the double teams like Jones used to. We'll see what happens this season when he is more of a full-time player.

Do we really know what these guys are asking for right now? If Sheard's takes a 6M deal you keep him obviously, but we seen what insane contracts teams give pass rushers.

If Sheard has another year like last, he might get a 10+M deal in FA.

Bingo. Plus, if they win the SB (which we are all hoping for) then he'll have the SB stink on him as well as BB coached stuff. People again here are whistling past the graveyard as regards to FA next year. I think some of BBs drafting the last 2 years is an indicator of where he thinks this is going. And I'm sure he has a plan that's for better than anyone here. Let some other teams massively overpay. He won't.

You're lucky Jones is no longer on the team or you would probably have had like 25 dislikes by now. There were Chandler police who would go toe-to-toe with you about Chandler Jones being an elite pass rusher. LOL

I'm all in on Sheard if they can manage to keep him somehow. He's a very good player who might actually be an upgrade because he does more things than Jones. I don't hate Jones at all, mind you. I just think Sheard is a more all-around type of guy who also rushes the passer slightly more effectively. But he, I don't recollect, has received the double teams like Jones used to. We'll see what happens this season when he is more of a full-time player.

Oh I love me some Chandler Jones, if pure pass rushers weren't such a hot commodity I would have loved to keep him. Too expensive to retain considering he wasnt spectacular vs. the run(in some circles viewed as a flat out weakness) and didn't routinely beat elite offensive line talent . Sheard, while maybe not as athletically gifted as Jones seems to excel in the role more ..be it scheme, IQ or pure ability he just seems like a better fit. Good at master of none (think Nink)

Probably helps that he wasn't nearly this good in Cleveland, he isn't like Jones where he hasn't seen the other side of the fence yet.

I love the way Sheard plays, but I wonder why he had such a limited role. I look forward to seeing how he performs playing a higher number of snaps.

I love the way Sheard plays, but I wonder why he had such a limited role. I look forward to seeing how he performs playing a higher number of snaps.
Hey Galeb. He really didn't have a limited role. If anything, his role expanded in NE vs what he was asked to do in Cleveland. He just wasn't an every down player, which is maybe what you mean. Don't forget he was injured for a stretch of games last season. Prior to that it was evident they were beginning to use him more and more and he was lining up everywhere on the line. He'll definitely be asked to do more this season, and that's when we'll know if he really is that good. Players can sometimes shine in a lesser role. It's different when they're asked to do it all the time.

Again, I really like Sheard and, if he plays at or above last season, I hope they find a way to retain him. It really sucks that so many good players have contract exts. coming up at the same damn time. That's gotta be tough for the financial guys to navigate.

Hey Galeb. He really didn't have a limited role. If anything, his role expanded in NE vs what he was asked to do in Cleveland. He just wasn't an every down player, which is maybe what you mean. Don't forget he was injured for a stretch of games last season. Prior to that it was evident they were beginning to use him more and more and he was lining up everywhere on the line. He'll definitely be asked to do more this season, and that's when we'll know if he really is that good. Players can sometimes shine in a lesser role. It's different when they're asked to do it all the time.

Again, I really like Sheard and, if he plays at or above last season, I hope they find a way to retain him. It really sucks that so many good players have contract exts. coming up at the same damn time. That's gotta be tough for the financial guys to navigate.

Yep. He outplayed Jones last year and I believe in part his play made the decision to let Chandler walk much easier to make.

When I said "limited role", I was referring to the small number of snaps he played compared to Nink and Jones. He played more in the playoffs, but I'm still waiting to see if he remains as productive when playing a higher percentage of snaps for a full season.

When I said "limited role", I was referring to the small number of snaps he played compared to Nink and Jones. He played more in the playoffs, but I'm still waiting to see if he remains as productive when playing a higher percentage of snaps for a full season.

In 2015 Jones averaged 57 snaps a game, Nink 55 and Sheard 43. Thats basically a couple of defensive series a game.

Sheard will have zero problem adapting more playing more as he played 800-900 snaps at CLE.

Its a non-issue.

In 2015 Jones averaged 57 snaps a game, Nink 55 and Sheard 43. Thats basically a couple of defensive series a game.

Sheard will have zero problem adapting more playing more as he played 800-900 snaps at CLE.

Its a non-issue.
I thought he got less snaps than that. I suspect they increased significantly towards the end of the season. Thanks for the correction.

I assume you are saying Sheard would accept a deal for $6 mill APY. Do you have a source for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft