PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Flowers is the real deal, could it make Sheard less of a priority?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Was just thinking about this. We all know that if Sheard has another big year this year that he will likely get a mega payday . (we saw how much an above average DL like Vernon got this year, who knows what Sheard could get.)

Now, if Flowers shows up and really plays well this season. To me, it makes Sheard easier to let loose, as much as I love the guy.

To me, it only makes me believe even further that HT and Collins are the main priorities over Sheard and Butler. Thoughts?

Was just thinking about this. We all know that if Sheard has another big year this year that he will likely get a mega payday . (we saw how much an above average DL like Vernon got this year, who knows what Sheard could get.)

Now, if Flowers shows up and really plays well this season. To me, it makes Sheard easier to let loose, as much as I love the guy.

To me, it only makes me believe even further that HT and Collins are the main priorities over Sheard and Butler. Thoughts?

Of course it's a possibility. If any player performs to a level equal to or better than Sheard then it's most likely he's gone. It's simple really.

I feel most will be gone, outside of Hightower. There needs to be 2 to tango and other teams will out price the Pats. I've said it plenty of times that of say the Pats say 5/60, 40 gtd (not accurate just numbers here) and another team offers 6/90 60 gtd, you think the Pats will match that? Hell no.

Point is people seems to think well the Pats have this space and can sign everyone. They never, ever account these two crucial a facts. Any number of other teams that will a) throw more money than the players are worth knowing the financially sound Pats won't match and b) the burning desire to (unsuccessfully) hurt the Pats in any way possible.

First off, HT and Collins are definitely the priorities. No doubt about that. If the price is fair, it shouldn't matter re:Flowers, particularly with Ninkovich near the end of his career.

I think Belichick/possibly both sides want to get a larger sample size under their belts before committing to a long term deal, but that's just my opinion. Is Sheard the 5.5m dollar a year man we brought here, or is he worth double that on the open market? Only time will tell, but it may be hard for them to come to terms at this point in time.

No sheard is a priority /thread.

Collins and High are staying. I really like Sheard, he has been superb, but if Bill is going to look to save cash, that is where he goes in that triumvirate.

Still, plenty of football to be played before then.....

Sheard was a beast last year..and in game 1 this preseason he was as well...he should be a priority IMO

Love what Flowers is doing.

I wish Grissom played better. He might be a gonner. Same with Rufus.

They need to pay Malcolm ahead of Sheard. Collins and High are 1a and 1b

If Mingo is 80℅ of the hype and they keep him Sheard is gone for sure.

I think Hightower, Collins and Butler are the top priorities then everybody else. Given the way the DL looks Sheard may be easier to replace than the others.

BTW was happy w Logan Ryan last night.

I love Ninko, but IF the young'uns perform IN SEASON, he may be a cap casualty Next year. That would be the classic BB let a player go a contract year too early vs too late.

I think Hightower, Collins and Butler are the top priorities then everybody else. Given the way the DL looks Sheard may be easier to replace than the others.

BTW was happy w Logan Ryan last night.

Ryan was amazing last night

I love Ninko, but IF the young'uns perform IN SEASON, he may be a cap casualty Next year. That would be the classic BB let a player go a contract year too early vs too late.
2016 is the last year of Nink's deal. He is a FA next year. He will also be 33 years old.

2016 is the last year of Nink's deal. He is a FA next year. He will also be 33 years old.

That's my point. He will likely NOT sign him to a contract IF the kids perform.
I'm tacitly assuming Ninko does not do a cap friendly deal, which is possible.

I love Ninkovich too but for some reason I keep thinking he could be one of those shocking cuts this season.

I love Ninkovich too but for some reason I keep thinking he could be one of those shocking cuts this season.

Serious shock (unless injury settlement) as he has been great last several years, plays2 different positions, is a team leader and is relatively cheap for a DE/OLB with lots of sacks.
2017 is different unless the youngsters all poop out.

Regardless of how Flowers does, I still see Sheard as being #4 on the priority list behind Hightower, Collins and Butler. Those three need to be taken care of first.

Regardless of how Flowers does, I still see Sheard as being #4 on the priority list behind Hightower, Collins and Butler. Those three need to be taken care of first.
Logan Ryan could make a case for #4 too.

I really don't understand why the Pats haven't been more proactive with Hightower and Collins.

I really don't understand why the Pats haven't been more proactive with Hightower and Collins.

And how duo you know what offers have been made or not made? How do you know how "proactive" the team has been?

A new signed contract is NOT at the option of the patriots.

Logan Ryan could make a case for #4 too.
If Ryan really wants to be here, I think that he could be next. Harmon is another possibility.

And how duo you know what offers have been made or not made? How do you know how "proactive" the team has been?

A new signed contract is NOT at the option of the patriots.
I knew that would be a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes