PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grissom and Flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one knows about Grissom. He's a developmental guy. He was constantly moved around in Oklahoma.

Strictly build wise, Grissom and Johnson have the perfect build to play OLB in a 3-4. Whether they have the talent remains to be seen.

I envision BB and Patricia rotating the edge guys much like they do the interior players. I don't see one of these guys duplicating Chandler production, but a combination of 2 out of the 3 coming close.
That I agree with. I think it's reasonable for one of the 3 fetches 7 or so sacks is possible.

I'm pretty optimistic about these guys. My gut tells me BB is too.

I think one of the 3 will give the team 80% of what Chandler Jones did.
I'm hoping both Grissom and Flowers combined will give the team 80% of what Jones did. I have no expectation whatsoever of one of them doing that. That would be an extremely pleasant surprise.

It never fails to surprise me how quickly posters on here are willing to write players off and cut them. They're one year out of college and because they're not sack machines already they're JAGs? Learned nothing from the cut Edelman/McCourty/Chung etc episodes?

What amazes me is the ability that some have to evaluate players they never see. It's hard enough to evaluate players who play frequently let alone those who rarely see the field. Unless they have convinced Belichick to send them practice tapes and coaches notes I don't know where they are getting their information from.

I'm hoping both Grissom and Flowers combined will give the team 80% of what Jones did. I have no expectation whatsoever of one of them doing that. That would be an extremely pleasant surprise.

So much is dependent upon how they approach the game and how hard they are willing to work. We have no information on this other than Aaron Dobson's daily selfiess of his sneakers, so we are shocked when Easely is released and have no clue who is rising or falling on their depth chart until preseason gets here, and even that gives us very little to go on. I'm hopeful guys like Flowers, Grissom, Jackson, Mason, Coleman, Roberts etc... Will turn themselves into reality good players but wrong have a clue until the season gets underway as to who has made the next step and who hasn't.

With chandler gone, they need to step up and show something now. With a year to get acclimated, we need to know if we have one or two pass rushers we can count on or if we need to keep trying.

It never fails to surprise me how quickly posters on here are willing to write players off and cut them. They're one year out of college and because they're not sack machines already they're JAGs? Learned nothing from the cut Edelman/McCourty/Chung etc episodes?

Look at percentages, instead of looking at the exceptions.

What amazes me is the ability that some have to evaluate players they never see. It's hard enough to evaluate players who play frequently let alone those who rarely see the field. Unless they have convinced Belichick to send them practice tapes and coaches notes I don't know where they are getting their information from.

I have an anecdote to this effect.

How many of us have watched Hard Knocks and felt like we came away knowing more about the players shown?

And what we see.. is a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny glimpse into the kind and depth of information that the Belichick and other professionals use to make their decisions.

It doesn't mean we don't have the right to play armchair GM.. but every single one of us should be admitting we are doing so with only a fraction of the whole picture.

I don't know how many of the posters here hire other people as part of what they do for a living, but I wonder how many of them would want to do so based on a piece of paper and what they could research on the Internet? No live interviews.

Last edited:
I have an anecdote to this effect.

How many of us have watched Hard Knocks and felt like we came away knowing more about the players shown?

And what we see.. is a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny glimpse into the kind and depth of information that the Belichick and other professionals use to make their decisions.

It doesn't mean we don't have the right to play armchair GM.. but every single one of us should be admitting we are doing so with only a fraction of the whole picture.

I don't know how many people here hire people as part of what they do for a living, but I wonder how many of them would want to do so based on a piece of paper and what they could research on the Internet? No live interviews.

Agree completely. And like you, i'm not saying people shouldn't have opinions in just saying they should realize they only have a fraction of the information necessary to make real decisions about them.

I think Grissom will see some reps at outside linebacker as well as defensive end. He played several defensive positions at Oklahoma and BB is always interested in position flexibility.

You're going to cut a top 100 draft pick just a year later? Especially one who has some versatility with both DT and TE work? I'd be very surprised.
Grissom has done everything he has been asked to do and is developing OK.

I think Grissom will see some reps at outside linebacker as well as defensive end. He played several defensive positions at Oklahoma and BB is always interested in position flexibility.
Grissom plays inside and outside on the DL. That's his flexibility. I don't see him as n OLB in the NFL.

With chandler gone, they need to step up and show something now. With a year to get acclimated, we need to know if we have one or two pass rushers we can count on or if we need to keep trying.

As I read this thread, I keep wondering why I missed the cutting of Chris Long.

Flowers and Grissom don't HAVE TO step up this year. We just MIGHT be very good with Ninkovich, Sheard and Long getting almost all the reps when they are healthy. Sure, if someone is hurt, someone will HAVE TO step up. Even then, Belichick might go with 2 players almost all the time as he did before Sheard arrived.

busts

to soon?
Yes, much too soon.

Both showed a bit of something as rookies. That's usually enough for Belichick to keep someone another year. If they are at all valuable this year, they will be at least backups for another year or two. We have plenty of room for a couple of inexpensive backup DL's.

The open question is whether either can step up and be considered as a replacement for one our top 3 DE's, NONE of which are signed for 2017. Grissom could have a significant number of inside ass rushing reps even this year.

I not so sure about this...unless Grissom is somehow how related to Mark Sanchez...
....or Jared Vogel's cellmate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes