Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Trey Flowers Looking to Make Year 2 Jump for the Patriots

Steve Balestrieri

Defensive End Had Rookie Season Derailed by Injuries

The Patriots are quite deep at the defensive end position heading into 2016. With Rob Ninkovich and Jabaal Sheard penciled in as the starters, they signed Chris Long during free agency and 2nd-year players Geneo Grissom, Rufus Johnson and Trey Flowers will be looking to make that big jump during their sophomore seasons in the system.

Of the younger players, all three had their moments during the early portions of training camp and preseason with Flowers arguably showing the most as he continually turned heads with the ability to beat the blocking on the edge and pressure the quarterback.

During the Patriots first preseason game, he blew around Packers starting left tackle David Bakhtiari and sacked QB Aaron Rodgers. But a concussion injury suffered during that game set him back. Then a combination of knee and shoulder woes slowed his progression. When he returned he wasn’t able to climb back up the depth chart to play meaningful snaps. As a result, he appeared in only one game during his rookie season.

Continue reading...

We will see and i hope he does. Hard to say what he will be after year 1. I think Flowers, Grissom & Richards all showed flashes and promise but who knows if they will cash in on it with the 2nd year jump.

I assume at least one will and hopefully all 3. The problem is even if all of them make a year 2 jump it will be hard to tell cause they are all the 4th player on the depth chart in most situations generally speaking.

Flowers and Grissom will be on the roster for years to come...................... like Jake Bequette.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: aeg
@Biffins is that a joke :D or a insult?:oops:

We will see and i hope he does. Hard to say what he will be after year 1. I think Flowers, Grissom & Richards all showed flashes and promise but who knows if they will cash in on it with the 2nd year jump.

I assume at least one will and hopefully all 3. The problem is even if all of them make a year 2 jump it will be hard to tell cause they are all the 4th player on the depth chart in most situations generally speaking.
If they make that big a jump and kick ass enough then they will be the 3rd...or hell with a big enough jump 2nd on the depth chart. I love the Chris long signing and expect big things from him, but would cry no tears if Flowers comes in and out plays him making Long cutable. Youth on a cheap contract is always preferable to a vet on a more expensive contract. Flowers being starter caliber also addresses some long term issues. Love nink great all around player good guy with a pretty impressive story but he is no spring chicken and his replacement needs to start being groomed. Plus as part of a rotation I believe it makes them all more effective. No more ANY Dline playing 95% of snaps. I would LOVE having 3 or 4 starting caliber DE/OLB types so that the most nink or sheard play is 75% of the snaps.

@Biffins is that a joke :D or a insult?:oops:

A bit of both. I am just tired every year of all the promising 2nd/3rd year players that have achieved nothing on the field to date. Jake Bequette was just the most extreme example but same is true of so many others (Dobson, etc) who somehow keep hanging on to the roster spot. Hopefully Flowers/Grissom won't have to switch to TE!

Flowers and Grissom will be on the roster for years to come...................... like Jake Bequette.
Not sure why Bequette stayed so long but Belichick is as fast as any GM out there to admit a mistake and move on. So . . . no.

A bit of both. I am just tired every year of all the promising 2nd/3rd year players that have achieved nothing on the field to date. Jake Bequette was just the most extreme example but same is true of so many others (Dobson, etc) who somehow keep hanging on to the roster spot. Hopefully Flowers/Grissom won't have to switch to TE!

I was thinking the same thing regarding Dropson it seems like he's gonna Breakout every year. :D

Year 4 jump?

Or how about my man Vrabel, and his year 5 jump? :)

2001 New England Patriots 16 63 40 23 3.0 -- 7 2 0 27 13.5 15
2000 Pittsburgh Steelers 15 -- -- -- 1.0 -- 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --
1999 Pittsburgh Steelers 10 -- -- -- 2.0 -- 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --
1998 Pittsburgh Steelers 11 -- -- -- 2.5 -- 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --
1997 Pittsburgh Steelers 15 -- -- -- 1.5 -- 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --

Mike Vrabel: Career Stats at NFL.com

EDIT: Or how about Nink? Same career trajectory, haha. Rob Ninkovich

Grissom has played some TE in the past, so never say never.

I think BB made sure that this year nobody from other position groups is going to make it to TE

I'll take it, but I'm not counting on it. Guys that miss their rookie seasons with nagging injuries don't usually tend to set the world on fire when they come back.

Suggested title change:

Fourth round pick, who didn't do a damned thing on the field as a rookie, hopes to keep his job in year two.

Grissom has played some TE in the past, so never say never.

IIRC they worked Grissom out as a TE, and he did as well as/better than anyone else in his class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back