PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's early...but should we be concerned with how close these games have become in the 4th quarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
belichick always maks some sort of deadline deal. let's see if he can get the secondary some help.

I am more concerned because we have yet to see aa consistent running game. We are a cold weather team and will need it for the playoffs. Given thatbyy Nov., Wendell and Stork will be back and Blount will be in full gear I think that will remedy itself.

In terms of D I think as the players get more comfortable with the scheme and each other you ll see some more complexity to it making it better.

hard do judge the running game with a makeshift interior o-line. it will improve once stork, etc. get back.

belichick always maks some sort of deadline deal. let's see if he can get the secondary some help.

I've been hoping he's got a Joe Haden deal in the works for the last couple of years. Maybe this is the year!

as opposed to what? getting pounded by the dolphins and chiefs early in the season?

the way I see it, the team is still figuring things out.........without Fletcher, the pats would have beaten the Bills by >20

Not sure that 2 games equals a trend.

I think BB was trying to mix in some of the younger front 7 guys when they got the big leads in the 2nd halves.

There was a lot of Geneo Grissom and Nate Ebner in the 4 th quarter of the Pittsburgh game and a lot of Rufus Johnson and Jonathan Freeny in the 4th quarter of the Buffalo game.

So, actually, I think it is all good to an extent. BB and Patricia are getting some of the kids some experience when they can afford it.

every team has professional players. games are supposed to be close. consistent blowouts are an aberration

The only worrisome trend thus far has been the complete defensive reversal from 0 points in the fourth quarter last year (obviously in the back half of the year) to trending to give the majority of the first two games' points in the fourth quarter this year.

That said, major contributor in both cases has been big leads which has softened the scheme looking for the opposing offense to take time off the clock through long drives, but has likewise given up long TD passes which negates that objective.

Fully expect this issue to fade moving forward, much like the OL fears (Ivan Fears?) from last year evaporated as well with some adjustments. Fletcher's role will be minimized either through scheme or elevation of a PS player or other waiver wire pickup. Also expect the front seven to gain more discipline in their rushes (not over pursuing/committing) as they get more practice time.

But that "0 points in the 4th quarter" trend started later in the season. Remember how awful they were at the beginning of the season last year?

2-0 is all that matters. We know they'll get better as the season goes on.

The Pittsburgh game was not close. It was a 2 TD game until a garbage time score that was the definition of garbage time.

Buffalo, meh, we made a few mistakes, but the game was never in doubt.

The thing people don't realize is that if you play to protect a lead you aren't playing to extend the lead, keep it the same, or whatever. You are playing in a manner that whatever happens there will not be enough time for them to catch up. Close endings are the proof of that not the reason it was wrong.

I don't understand how people are saying the Bills game wasn't in doubt. Bills very well may have won if the Dola catch doesn't happen. Thakfully Brady and co never gave them a chance for a go ahead touchdown with plenty of time.

I don't understand how people are saying the Bills game wasn't in doubt. Bills very well may have won if the Dola catch doesn't happen. Thakfully Brady and co never gave them a chance for a go ahead touchdown with plenty of time.
It was 1st and 10 at the Buffalo 46 with 3:18 left when that happened.
Buffalo never had the football with a chance to take the lead. Thats the defintion of never in doubt.

Not now. It's early going and, with the shortened camps and limits on regular season practice, some guys are still getting into their groove. I'd rather they leave a little on the field now, still come away with W's and have a lot of gas in the tank as the season drags on.

I will worry when it gets to a 2009 level of defensive meltdowns. Looking at you, 4th and 2 game

Last season there was an ongoing problem with defensive collapses at the end of half.

The Patriots had the second best 4th quarter scoring defense in the entire league from November on last year. If there was a regular half-time issue, it was Brady throwing picks, not defensive lapses.

There is little reason to be concerned. It's two games.

Last edited:
Not concerned at all, you don't want to peak in September. It's great to have something for Bill to harp on.

I'm not worried. Belichick is letting the other teams score some points in the fourth quarter to avoid another Goodell investigation of the Patriots. Remember what happened after the last blowout, the 43-22 playoff win over the Colts.

The defense should not have given up touchdowns as quickly as they did following the failed 4th down conversion and the Brady fumble. Simple as that.

YES!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry.......the secondary is rancid. The three INTs were gifts......two tipped/should have been completions and a wildly over thrown ball. And despite tons of QB pressure/sacks...if the ball made it out of the QBs hand, it was gonna be caught ...................................77% of the time last week and 72% year to date. The best thing you can say about the secondary is that there are a half dozen worse pass defenses out there ....yeah baby!!
Two thoughts come to mind and I'm struggling to choose which thought I believe will prevail.
1) DB Personnel is third rate
2) BB always fixes problems
This defense reminds me of the Colts defenses during Manning's reign in Indy. Those defenses were built to compliment an offense that would get big leads early forcing opponents to pass. Indy relied on their two stud DE's to disrupt the offense enough to achieve victory. Unfortunately, that defensive construction helped secure only one trophy over a decade......just saying....I see similarities

should we be concerned with how close these games have become in the 4th quarter?

No

It's early...

Exactly

Anyone who wants to look at truly legit concerns can just look at the CB position. That's the likely Achilles heel, as of now, and that's the case regardless of what quarter the game is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST