PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It was my opinion that M. Hill needed a good camp....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Do you think he makes the team or not this year and why so?

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Do you think he makes the team or not this year and why so?

He will be traded to Miami for a 7th round pick. Maybe 6th.

I'm starting to think Hill is trying out for the Adrian Klemm Award. Patriots should try to get something for him quick before he really injures his self...

i think Marquise Hill was a Patriot...

pity...a 2nd round pick...

It's funny I 've tried to follow this guy closely when he was drafted. I remember when he was at LSU I thought he outshined Marcus Spears.

His first year was a wash, I knew he was a young junior coming out and we had our best team ever so I was expecting a developmental year.

Since then I just don't know what the inside story is. He's so physically gifted and played at a similar system under good coaching at LSU. I don't buy that we had too much depth on the defensive line cause I know BB loves to rotate lineman. The few times he was in there last year he was mediocre at best. Now that he missed most of training camp, I don't see how the coaches can have much confidence in him, especially with Santonio, Mike Wright and LeKevin looking good.

But on the other hand, you know Saban, Crennel or Mangini will jump on him if he's released. I would hate it if he developed into a outstanding lineman for a rival team, especially since we used a 2nd round pick on him (and the 2004 draft was so deep).

Ichiro said:
But on the other hand, you know Saban, Crennel or Mangini will jump on him if he's released. I would hate it if he developed into a outstanding lineman for a rival team, especially since we used a 2nd round pick on him (and the 2004 draft was so deep).

I too have watched Hill since he was drafted. In last year's pre-season he appeared to take plays off and show no cross-field persuit.

Given that we KNOW that there are 3 teams potentially interested in the guy, assuming he plays say the 3rd or 4th game, I wonder if a late conditional trade to the Browns, Jets and highest payment Phins is possible? Usually guys just get cut and someone maybe picks 'em but in this case there are 3 potential buyers with the Phins having last waiver shot.

Let's stockpile 6ths & 7ths.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I too have watched Hill since he was drafted. In last year's pre-season he appeared to take plays off and show no cross-field persuit.

Given that we KNOW that there are 3 teams potentially interested in the guy, assuming he plays say the 3rd or 4th game, I wonder if a late conditional trade to the Browns, Jets and highest payment Phins is possible? Usually guys just get cut and someone maybe picks 'em but in this case there are 3 potential buyers with the Phins having last waiver shot.

Let's stockpile 6ths & 7ths.

I agree. I'm really disappointed given that I was extremely happy when they drafted him.

At this point, I would rather see a guy like S. Thomas make the team. He seems to be working hard and improving.

Last edited:
If Hill is the bum people claim, why do these same people think Crennel or Mangini would be all over him? Guys that were able to witness his alleged suckiness up close would really be falling over themselves to sign him up after the Pats decided to cut bait on a 2nd round pick after two years? A bit contradictory. Hill Haters can't have it both ways.

I think they will give him another year. Just look at Exhibit A, aka Bethel Johnson to see how long the Pats are willing to let a 2nd round pick stick around before they declare him a bust.

My guess is BB gives Hill at least thru the 2007 season before he gives up on him.

Last season was basically his first year, with BB knowing he was a complete project coming out of college in 2004, and the youngest guy in that draft. Until they find someone that has his potential, I don't see them releasing him, nor trading him in the AFC, not with a contract good thru 2008, and not with guys like Santonio or Wright doing the replacing.

Last edited:
tombonneau said:
If Hill is the bum people claim, why do these same people think Crennel or Mangini would be all over him? Guys that were able to witness his alleged suckiness up close would really be falling over themselves to sign him up after the Pats decided to cut bait on a 2nd round pick after two years? A bit contradictory. Hill Haters can't have it both ways.

I think they will give him another year. Just look at Exhibit A, aka Bethel Johnson to see how long the Pats are willing to let a 2nd round pick stick around before they declare him a bust.

Well Mangini needs anyone who can properly two gap and understands the concepts. He has VERY FEW ideal 3-4 players in the defense he's trying to implent with the Jets. Hill is a least an below average 3-4 end with upside, something the Mangini would want, especially on the cheap.
Saban knows Hill, I think he recruited him (not sure when he left Michigan St.) and it looks like he loves big lineman (look at the chance they took on Manny Wright).

I thought Bethel would be cut last year, the beginning of his 3rd year, just like it is for Hill now. I think Bethel was one of the very last players to make the team.

I certainly don't hate Marquis, just very curious as to why he has not developed. My guess is that's its not a physical thing but a mental problem. There was a rumor I heard that Hill had a bipolar disorder. This was posted on a fan-based draft website prior to the 04 draft. I read it once and then when Hill was drafted, it was the first thing that popped up.
In BB we trust, but I wonder if the front office did all its homework on Hill.

Last edited:
Me thinks Marquise Hill will be an Ex-Patriot by late August. There are so many players in the NFL with great physical talent, but without the mental talent to match (or at least to realize their physical talent), never to make it. Marquise Hill and Bethel Johnson are 2 Patriots (or ex-Patriots) that come to mind. At one time, it was thought that Marquise Hill was a better prospect than Dallas Cowboy stud prospect Marcus Spears. Unfortunately, a wasted talent AND draft choice. Probably another case where someone came out of college for the NFL too early.

italianpatthepatriot said:
i think Marquise Hill was a Patriot...

pity...a 2nd round pick...

I took a look at the 2004 draft at the picks made between the Patriot's selection of Hill (No. 63) who was taken at the end of the 2nd round and the Pat's 3rd round pick (No. 95 - Gus Scott). I was expecting to see some serious talent on the list, but not too many of these players jump out at me as impact players in the NFL, yet.

Nick Hardwick C, Chris Cooley TE and Matt Schaub QB would look good to me in a Patriots uniform.

1 64 Darnell Dockett Cardinals DE Florida State
2 65 Nate Kaeding Chargers K Iowa
3 66 Nick Hardwick Chargers C Purdue
4 67 Stuart Schweigert Raiders DB Purdue
5 68 Ben Hartsock Colts TE Ohio State
6 69 Gilbert Gardner Colts LB Purdue
7 70 Joey Thomas Packers DB Montana State
8 71 Randy Starks Titans DT Maryland
9 72 Donnell Washington Packers DT Clemson
10 73 Keith Smith Lions DB McNeese State
11 74 Tim Anderson Bills DT Ohio State
12 75 Max Starks Steelers T Florida
13 76 Derrick Strait Jets DB Oklahoma
14 77 Derrick Hamilton 49ers WR Clemson
15 78 Bernard Berrian Bears WR Fresno State
16 79 Marquis Cooper Buccaneers LB Washington
17 80 Caleb Miller Bengals LB Arkansas
18 81 Chris Cooley Redskins TE Utah State
19 82 Devard Darling Ravens WR Washington State
20 83 Stephen Peterman Cowboys G Louisiana State
21 84 Sean Locklear Seahawks G North Carolina State
22 85 Jeremy LeSueur Broncos DB Michigan
23 86 Jorge Cordova Jaguars LB Nevada
24 87 B.J. Sander Packers P Ohio State
25 88 Darrion Scott Vikings DE Ohio State
26 89 Matt Ware Eagles DB UCLA
27 90 Matt Schaub Falcons QB Virginia
28 91 Tony Hargrove Rams DE Georgia Tech
29 92 Rich Gardner Titans DB Penn State
30 93 Keyaron Fox Chiefs LB Georgia Tech
31 94 Travelle Wharton Panthers T South Carolina

kurtinelson said:
I took a look at the 2004 draft at the picks made between the Patriot's selection of Hill (No. 63) who was taken at the end of the 2nd round and the Pat's 3rd round pick (No. 95 - Gus Scott). I was expecting to see some serious talent on the list, but not too many of these players jump out at me as impact players in the NFL, yet.

Nick Hardwick C, Chris Cooley TE and Matt Schaub QB would look good to me in a Patriots uniform.

1 64 Darnell Dockett Cardinals DE Florida State
2 65 Nate Kaeding Chargers K Iowa
3 66 Nick Hardwick Chargers C Purdue
4 67 Stuart Schweigert Raiders DB Purdue
5 68 Ben Hartsock Colts TE Ohio State
6 69 Gilbert Gardner Colts LB Purdue
7 70 Joey Thomas Packers DB Montana State
8 71 Randy Starks Titans DT Maryland
9 72 Donnell Washington Packers DT Clemson
10 73 Keith Smith Lions DB McNeese State
11 74 Tim Anderson Bills DT Ohio State
12 75 Max Starks Steelers T Florida
13 76 Derrick Strait Jets DB Oklahoma
14 77 Derrick Hamilton 49ers WR Clemson
15 78 Bernard Berrian Bears WR Fresno State
16 79 Marquis Cooper Buccaneers LB Washington
17 80 Caleb Miller Bengals LB Arkansas
18 81 Chris Cooley Redskins TE Utah State
19 82 Devard Darling Ravens WR Washington State
20 83 Stephen Peterman Cowboys G Louisiana State
21 84 Sean Locklear Seahawks G North Carolina State
22 85 Jeremy LeSueur Broncos DB Michigan
23 86 Jorge Cordova Jaguars LB Nevada
24 87 B.J. Sander Packers P Ohio State
25 88 Darrion Scott Vikings DE Ohio State
26 89 Matt Ware Eagles DB UCLA
27 90 Matt Schaub Falcons QB Virginia
28 91 Tony Hargrove Rams DE Georgia Tech
29 92 Rich Gardner Titans DB Penn State
30 93 Keyaron Fox Chiefs LB Georgia Tech
31 94 Travelle Wharton Panthers T South Carolina

I wouldn't mind WR Devard Darling and DB Matt Ware too. Stuart Schweigert too.

When was the last time BB cut a 2nd rd pick? Was it Klemm? He got 4yrs to prove he was a liability. Why would Hill get half that?

My bet is he is on the roster this year. If there were other options, maybe not, but with the roster as it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he'll make the team for three reasons: 1) The D-Line has less depth coming into this season than it did at points during the past several seasons; 2) The Pats may already have an "extra" roster spot if they do indeed decide to keep only two QBs; and 3) You try not to ever cut a young DL, especially a former 2nd round pick. His trade value however is so freaking low that there's nothing worth exploring on the market right now. All we can hope for is that he gets "showcased" in one of the last two preseason games and makes an impression on somebody or somebody's line gets so beaten up before the deadline that they become desperate for warm bodies and cough up a pick for him.

And in regards to why he has failed, by all accounts I'm not sure that he could spell his own name if you gave him the letters. At least that seems to be his reputation, which puzzles me becuase both Belichick and Saban love smart players...any thoughts?

The End Zone said:
I think he'll make the team for three reasons: 1) The D-Line has less depth coming into this season than it did at points during the past several seasons; 2) The Pats may already have an "extra" roster spot if they do indeed decide to keep only two QBs; and 3) You try not to ever cut a young DL, especially a former 2nd round pick. His trade value however is so freaking low that there's nothing worth exploring on the market right now. All we can hope for is that he gets "showcased" in one of the last two preseason games and makes an impression on somebody or somebody's line gets so beaten up before the deadline that they become desperate for warm bodies and cough up a pick for him.

And in regards to why he has failed, by all accounts I'm not sure that he could spell his own name if you gave him the letters. At least that seems to be his reputation, which puzzles me becuase both Belichick and Saban love smart players...any thoughts?

He could demand Saban give him a 5th for him. Saban recommended him in the first place. Return to sender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News