PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

it hurts to say goodbye,but-----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owl said:
To RayClay: Thank you for at least thinking before you replied, but you did say "You don't trade productive players for picks." As you noticed in a recent story, BB spent a day and a half picking Jimmy Johnson's brain down in Miami. If I recall, Jimmy Johnson sent a proven, highly effective RB (Herschel Walker) to Minnesota for a potfull of draft picks. Most sports writers all across the country point to this as the beginning of the Dallas Cowboys SB runs. Proven player for draft picks, what do I know?
Flying Fungi - You said Vince Wilfork didn't come through Miami. The year before we won the SB but also obtained Miami's #1 draft pick for our 2nd round draft pick that year. How else could we have gotten the 21st pick after winning the SB? If you insist that the Easter Bunny brought Vince Wilfork to New England, far be it from me to argue with you.
Michigan Dave - What can I say. Anybody who uses "wow" twice in one sentence would sure beat me in a battle of wits.
Thearchives - No, I'm not smoking, and no, I'm not thinking of paying Ty Law a ton of money to come back. I'm thinking of paying Richard Seymour most, if not all, of his bonus so that its not hanging over our heads in the future and signing what looks like tremendous rookies we got through the draft. You sound as though you used to handle the cap space for the Tennessee Titans, and we know how that all turned out. It wasn't long ago when we were stuck for millions and millions in dead cap money. Let's not go back there. As far as Branch, have we all forgotten that David Givens started out an unknown, which is basically what we've got with Jackson, Childress and Stone. I say the odds are one of them will step up. From what I've seen watching Caldwell, if he stays healthy, he'll be a keeper. Also, don't be surprised if Andrews plays nickleback ahead of Gay. One more point about Graham, replay all the playoff games and SB's in your head and tell me how big a part Graham played in the redzone during those games - receiving.

Owl, I hope you are not comparing the Walker trade where Dallas got in return, everything but the kitchen sink, to the trades you propose. You do not propose one overrated player for a zillion draft picks. You propose our best WR (and SBowl MVP) for one draft pick. The best blocking TE in the NFL (and recent #1 pick) for a 2nd round pick.....to an AFC competitor!!! Then for some reason you throw in our starting guard for another pick. No way the Patriots do any of these trades. Also, it could be argued that both Philly and Denver could be decent teams, which would not land a very good pick. To summarize, you don't trade one of the better WRs in the league, AND one of the better TEs in the league (even if you don't see it yet), AND one of the better guards in the league and get one first round pick out of it. Makes zero sense Mr. Owl. Respectfully, I say, these are horrible proposals.

Din`t read the whole thread but here is my 2 cents.You are making some big assumptions one major thing is every draft pick will be 100% productive and they will attain productive at a really short period of time.
I would love for you to show me a projected draft sucess rate say over a 5 yr period.
Foot ball begin a team sport even if we do get some productive players the over all package might miss big parts due to delay in development .I like building through draft but not at the expense of productive players.

According to you patriots should draft and let them learn , improve so we can trade.So effectively you are running a school and not a team.You will never win anything as you trade every good player in the rooster for draft picks and run the cycle of getting top picks teaching them and then trading them for more draft picks.

oflate , you see alot of defensive players being taken in the top but give it a yr or 2 and every rooster is going to be full of them top draft picks who are ready to move in and alot of defensive people available to to picked up and developed.

Last edited:
omg ... all you old fogies are so full of yourselves its rediculous. I hate to break it to you all but just because you have more posts than someone else doenst mean you are smarter, more informed, or anything else other than more willing to post (perhaps that should be rephrased as less capable of restraining yourselve from posting when you should really move on to something else).
If you dont like the guys post then find a thread you do like and eventually this one will simply move to the back pages and die. For some reason this simple concept has eluded you and you feel the need to add your usless .01 to this thread and inanely add to your post total (I have to wonder if the overwhelming majority of your posts are from these kinds of replys rather than from actual discussion of football).
All this guy did was post a hypothetical, the same thing I wager many if not all of you have done, and while it may be far fetched, try actually doing what you expect others to do of your post, read it, think about it, and either move on or post a legitimate reply to it.

Branch for a first rd pick. In all likelyhood an upperlevel pick at that based on the predictions of where the Eagles would end the season.
A first rd pick for a player many in here (including those attacking this thread) that is not better than an average No 1 reciever. A player that some have wondered if will even show up before he is required to in order to fullfill the requisite number of games and have this year count as an accrued season. A player that some have felt will not be resigned and will be gone after only a few games this year. A player that is hurt often enough that even if he does show up for the whole season may miss parts of it due to injury. A player that is (at present) as much of an unknown as any rookie coming in.
Personally, I like Branch and want to see him resigned long term, but given all that against the offer of an upper level first rd pick, I would take it in a heartbeat and take my chances with the remaining receivers stepping up this year.
See how easy it is to simply play along with the proposed situation? The fact that no one really believes anyone will give up a first for him is beside the point. The proposed, hypothetical situation is that someone will, try using that and either reply analytically within that situation or just go away and find a thread you like. Geez.

b_btrick said:
omg ... all you old fogies are so full of yourselves its rediculous. I hate to break it to you all but just because you have more posts than someone else doenst mean you are smarter, more informed, or anything else other than more willing to post (perhaps that should be rephrased as less capable of restraining yourselve from posting when you should really move on to something else).
If you dont like the guys post then find a thread you do like and eventually this one will simply move to the back pages and die. For some reason this simple concept has eluded you and you feel the need to add your usless .01 to this thread and inanely add to your post total (I have to wonder if the overwhelming majority of your posts are from these kinds of replys rather than from actual discussion of football).
All this guy did was post a hypothetical, the same thing I wager many if not all of you have done, and while it may be far fetched, try actually doing what you expect others to do of your post, read it, think about it, and either move on or post a legitimate reply to it.

Branch for a first rd pick. In all likelyhood an upperlevel pick at that based on the predictions of where the Eagles would end the season.
A first rd pick for a player many in here (including those attacking this thread) that is not better than an average No 1 reciever. A player that some have wondered if will even show up before he is required to in order to fullfill the requisite number of games and have this year count as an accrued season. A player that some have felt will not be resigned and will be gone after only a few games this year. A player that is hurt often enough that even if he does show up for the whole season may miss parts of it due to injury. A player that is (at present) as much of an unknown as any rookie coming in.
Personally, I like Branch and want to see him resigned long term, but given all that against the offer of an upper level first rd pick, I would take it in a heartbeat and take my chances with the remaining receivers stepping up this year.
See how easy it is to simply play along with the proposed situation? The fact that no one really believes anyone will give up a first for him is beside the point. The proposed, hypothetical situation is that someone will, try using that and either reply analytically within that situation or just go away and find a thread you like. Geez.

If anyone is obsessed with post counts, it's you. I could care less about how many I have.

This isn't a situation where you have to "play along" to keep the peace. If I disagree, I'll voice it.

b_btrick said:

You're one for two, fella.

1) I agree with you that, although I don't agree with the thread originators points, at least he's making respectful points that probably don't deserve the personal bashing.

2) The tired "Post Count" whine doesn't hold water. Let me take you gently over to this link, where you can see for yourself a clear example of a great reception to someone who has well under 40 posts:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=126479#post126479

Nuff 'ced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents