PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It has been a hellish six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I'm always going to remember 2001 - 2003 and 2004 were just an added bonus :D

The only year I've put out of my memory is the final game of the '07/'08 - but that's about all I have to say about that :cool:

But I wouldn't say hellish - I'd say interesting. The only game that I'd put in that category was the aforementioned one...although I'd put yesterday as a close second.
I would rather have 14-2, homefield advantage and yesterdays loss than 8-8. And I would say that even if 8-8 came along with 3-13 by the Jets.

Thanks for the reminder, we almost forgot. :bricks:

This is why nobody respects your fanbase. Calling 5 playoff appearences in 6 years hell? Your pathetic. Garuntee your not a pat fan in 5 years

No you are pathetic. You read what the op says but not what everybody else has to say. The huge majority and I'd guess over 99% of fans don't think like him but you are just ready to jump in and call us all pathetic because of what one fan says.

we'll sense you only need a "Super Bowl Champion hat and shirt" shouldnt you just log off and wait for them to win, then log on when they win it all, get your "Super Bowl Champion hat and shirt" .

You know forgo the whole fan, hard times good times thing.

You're completely missing my whole point.

I don't give a damn about winning games except the Super Bowl. It's understandable why a team with a futile history like the Saints would take pride in winning a division. Maybe you guys can win a few more because obviously your fanbase still does not what having your team be champion is like. But you know what? Other than the LA Lakers, the Patriots have been the most dominant team in sports for the past decade. Maybe 15 years ago, we cared, but no longer; we want Super Bowls.

We have what some people in the media have deemed as the greatest quarterback who has ever lived. We have what some people in the media have deemed as the greatest coach to ever coach the game. We want and expect Super Bowls; for a team with the success the Patriots have had, we don't want winning seasons.

Last edited:
No you are pathetic. You read what the op says but not what everybody else has to say. The huge majority and I'd guess over 99% of fans don't think like him but you are just ready to jump in and call us all pathetic because of what one fan says.

I was calling him pathetic..and that is why you guys have that image..because of people like him

I don't give a damn about winning games except the Super Bowl. It's understandable why a team with a futile history like the Saints would take pride in winning a division. Maybe you guys can win a few more because obviously your fanbase still does not what having your team be champion is like. But you know what? Other than the LA Lakers, the Patriots have been the most dominant team in sports for the past decade. Maybe 15 years ago, we cared, but no longer; we want Super Bowls.

We have what some people in the media have deemed as the greatest quarterback who has ever lived. We have what some people in the media have deemed as the greatest coach to ever coach the game. We want and expect Super Bowls; for a team with the success the Patriots have had, we don't want winning seasons.

Well than your going to be disappointed a lot because there are 31 of us that want the same thing. A fan isn't about winning SB. Its about drinking the culture, meeting other fans, supporting your boys threw thick and thin. Loving the game of football, sportsmanship when you lose. Its an experience that if done right means everything when when you get a chance to win the show. It has nothing to do with winning SB every year.

I was calling him pathetic..and that is why you guys have that image..because of people like him

People have the image of us, because they have never been a fan of a team who has been so dominating.

You don't think Yankee fans were extremely disappointed from 2001-2008. I can guarantee you that after losing in the playoffs, they didn't say, "Hey, we had a winning record. Heck, we even made the World Series. Who would have thunk it? Yipppppeeeeee." Of course not because there is a culture of winning with the Yankees franchise. The same thing goes for the Lakers, Celtics, Canadiens, Steelers, etc.. Although, like the Saints fan, I understand why you wouldn't understand how I feel; you're team hasn't won in almost half a century.

Apparently you think that having a winning season matters. Not only does it not matter, it compounds the pain when you don't reach the ultimate goal of the Super Bowl. Enjoy your divisional champion hats and t-shirts; I'm waiting for the Super Bowl Champion hat and shirt.

And regarding your assertion about me abandoning the team the fact that I still follow the team religiously completely disproves your theory, never mind the fact that I also am a fan of the Celtics (pre-2007), Red Sox (pre-2004), and Bruins.

When did you start watching the Pats, 2003? The past years cheering for an always relevant team must have been just awful for you. I feel your pain.:rolleyes:

Hell as a Pats fan was life following the Patsies, when you are happy to see a competitive game regardless of a win. I suspect you never saw that version of the team or you would have never started this thread.

Last edited:
Well than your going to be disappointed a lot because there are 31 of us that want the same thing. A fan isn't about winning SB. Its about drinking the culture, meeting other fans, supporting your boys threw thick and thin. Loving the game of football, sportsmanship when you lose. Its an experience that if done right means everything when when you get a chance to win the show. It has nothing to do with winning SB every year.

Haha, ok, buddy, I'm done. You don't watch to watch your team win? Ok, bud.

Furthermore, just because I watch to watch my team win, that doesn't make me any less of a fan than you are. It's not like I quit watching; I'll always watch my team even if they have been eliminated from playoff contention because maybe there will be some hope for the next year that my team becomes champion.

OP, I'm sorry you feel this way. But think about this a little more.

When you dream of something so grand and big, you have to be prepared for the possibility of failure. The greater the dream, the greater the potential fall. This is true for anything that's worth having. Part of what makes something worth having is the difficulty associated with achieving it. Knowing that you beat monumental difficulties and odds are precisely what make a victory so sweet.

Enough philosophizing. Yes, the team has had some huge failures in the past 6 years. But these failures were large because we were good enough to get that close to the goal 6 times in a row (after having won 3 of 4). You can either lament that and wallow in despair over events bygone, or you can remind yourself that the last 10 years were incredibly good...they were downright ridiculous. Not only that, 10 years of consistently good performance is not accidental...it's greater proof than anything else that we have something special in Mr. Kraft, BB, and TFB. Well guess what, they ain't going anywhere. In fact, they're only getting hungrier. It's only a matter of time before all the pieces inevitably fall into place just right.

What sets champions apart from the average? The fact that they never give up. BB and TFB managed to give us a record breaking 14-2 season despite first living through the last 5 "hellish" 6 years, because they are elite competitors. What does that tell you about the future of our team?

Next season (and beyond), focus on enjoying the ride. Keep in mind that (in Mr. Kraft's words) "football is a cruel sport". Only one team will win, that which is the best, toughest, and makes the least amount of mistakes. Indeed, that's the only team that deserves to win, whether it's the Pats or someone else. If you dream of something as big and grand as the Lombardi, you have to be prepared of the potential cost of defeat.

we'll sense you only need a "Super Bowl Champion hat and shirt" shouldnt you just log off and wait for them to win, then log on when they win it all, get your "Super Bowl Champion hat and shirt" .

You know forgo the whole fan, hard times good times thing.

Good to have you here, pherein, and sorry to see the way your season ended. I never saw that loss to Seattle coming, and I honestly can say that loss made me wonder if the Pats would fall in a similar way given the similarities. That turned out to be the case.

Haha, ok, buddy, I'm done. You don't watch to watch your team win? Ok, bud.

Furthermore, just because I watch to watch my team win, that doesn't make me any less of a fan than you are. It's not like I quit watching; I'll always watch my team even if they have been eliminated from playoff contention because maybe there will be some hope for the next year that my team becomes champion.

Free_Pacman, Im not try to say your wrong. This is just how we see fandom, you have every right to your own opinion. Just as valid as mine.
I want my boys to win every time, and believe they will until 45 minutes after the game is over I still think we have a chance:)
But, if my guys played there hearts out, and we did our best and still lost, Im ok with that.

This is a difficult loss for the Pats, because the better team didn't win. Thats not conjecture, thats a fact. Easily proven on many levels. But thats football.

You think the Rams fans didn't feel the same when you kicked their but in the SB? you were not the better team.

Good to have you here, pherein, and sorry to see the way your season ended. I never saw that loss to Seattle coming, and I honestly can say that loss made me wonder if the Pats would fall in a similar way given the similarities. That turned out to be the case.

good to see you also Mass,

Really wanted you to take the ring, badly, TB and BB deserve it. We were so banged up losing to Seattle almost made sense. GB probably would have embarrassed us, and we made history again by losing to the worst team in the playoffs.
Tho we still haven't figured out how 13 TD's are score on us all season, and the the Seahawks score 6 in one game,lol, oopss

See if you won this year, the Patriots would have 4 rings, so you would mind if we beat you next year:) Now you're going to get all miffed at us if we beat you next season,lol

Last edited:
Being a fan of any of those teams and seeing them go 14-2 when you didn't think they would only to get knocked out by a bitter rival in the first round may be received a little differently :cool:

I think the thing that irritates fans the most (and I'm starting to at least empathize - because I understand it) is the fact that obviously we won't have Brady and Belichick forever. So at least that makes sense. But to call the last six years "hellish" is a bit of an overstatement. As I said there's only one game that I'd put in that category - because the regular seasons have certainly been enjoyable. Obviously it would have been nice to have gotten a couple of other rings in that span - but as most are trying to point out, things could certainly be worse.

That is true, if Bill and Brady were gone these losses would be much easier to get over. The last 3 years for me as a Boston fan outside of the 08 finals have been a nightmare, key injuries, playoffs missed, heart breakers, embarrassments etc.

Funny how things can go 360 like that, Pats loss to inferior rival they just dominated, sox swept by team they usually sweep, celts lose game 7 to team they usually win titles against and by their trademark style defense too.

Sounds more like 6 years of solid, but not great football.

Can't win the SB every year, but we were always in the mix. We'll never see this type of consistency again. There's more cause for joy here than lament.

2005- The dynasty ends. Our hated rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers, win a Super Bowl.

2006- Patriots suffer their first monumental collapse in the AFCCG. Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts go on to win the Super Bowl.

2007- Patriots the biggest collapse arguably in the history of sports by losing the Super Bowl and their perfect season to the New York Giants.

2008- Eight months following the Super Bowl defeat, Tom Brady is lost in the first quarter of the first game of the season. Patriots go 11-5, but become the first team ever with that record to miss the playoffs. Once again, the hated Steelers win the Super Bowl.

2009- Something didn't feel right all season. Patriots are dominated in the Wild Card round at home to the Baltimore Ravens. The game was over before the first quarter even finished.

2010- Just when people began to feel the same feeling they felt in 2001, 2003, and 2004, Patriots are dominated by the New York Jets. Rex Ryan beats Bellichick. Mark Sanchez outplays Brady. LT finally beats the Patriots in the playoffs.

I know some moron is going to post about how spoiled we are and we should be happy with what we have, but this team has suffered more heartbreak in the past six years than any other team in sports; we have had no more success than the Raiders, Browns, Lions, etc.; this team, like them, has no Super Bowls in the past six years.. At least fans of the Browns and Lions aren't going to be haunted by the memories of games the past six years. Patriot fans will always, ALWAYS remember 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2010.

Who are you trying to kid, you're really a Jets fan. Whoever you're a fan of, please don't call yourself a Patriots fan. By the way, what happenned in 06?

While I do understand and follow your angle, I think you are overstating and perhaps misunderstanding the current state of the Pats and the NFL.

Basketball teams can dominate year after year because their only five players on the court, and only about eight get any significant playing time over the course of a game. Having one or two of the league's best players makes a team markedly better than any other team; it makes it far easier for that team to dominate and be highly successful for a long period of time.

Baseball has no spending limits - the luxury tax is meaningless - so again it is relatively easy for certain team(s) to dominate year after year.

Football is the ultimate team sport. Having the league's best player guarantees you absolutely nothing, especially in comparison to other team sports. Now add in free agency and the salary cap, and it is extremely difficult for a team to remain on top, even if they do have the league's best coach. In fact with the double-edged sword of free agency and the salary cap, no franchise has any business being as successful as the Patriots have been over the last ten years - or even over the last 'hellish' six, for that matter.

One other difference with those other sports in comparison to football is that NFL playoffs are decided by one game; the others are decided by a four out of seven series. That means in the NFL you are going to have more situations when the 'better' team does not win than in other sports. Sometimes that works in your favor (2001); sometimes it works against you (2007). Bottom line is that it makes a long run of championships by one team more difficult in comparison to other sports.

The difference between a top team and a bottom team in the NFL is much, much closer than final won-loss record would have you believe. The difference between the top six or eight teams is even slimmer. They're all filled with very good players, all giving it their best effort. As good as Brady and Belichick are, it's just not realistic to expect (as opposed to want) them to win championships every year the way the Celtics of the 60's or Yankees of the 50's did.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. That means on average a fan should see his team win a championship in his 16th year of following the team, and then one every 32 years thereafter. That's three championships in 80 years, if you should live that long.

We got a lifetime worth of championships in the space of 36 months. Everything else is gravy. Enjoy the ride. If anything short of a championship is failure, then the reality is you are going to be disappointed 97% of the time. If you know you are going to fail that often, why complain about it every time it happens?

Do I want the Pats to win a championship every year? Of course!

Do I realistically expect them to win a championship every year? No.

Sounds more like 6 years of solid, but not great football.

Can't win the SB every year, but we were always in the mix. We'll never see this type of consistency again. There's more cause for joy here than lament.

you are wise, someone like BB will never come again.

While I do understand and follow your angle, I think you are overstating and perhaps misunderstanding the current state of the Pats and the NFL.

Basketball teams can dominate year after year because their only five players on the court, and only about eight get any significant playing time over the course of a game. Having one or two of the league's best players makes a team markedly better than any other team; it makes it far easier for that team to dominate and be highly successful for a long period of time.

Baseball has no spending limits - the luxury tax is meaningless - so again it is relatively easy for certain team(s) to dominate year after year.

Football is the ultimate team sport. Having the league's best player guarantees you absolutely nothing, especially in comparison to other team sports. Now add in free agency and the salary cap, and it is extremely difficult for a team to remain on top, even if they do have the league's best coach. In fact with the double-edged sword of free agency and the salary cap, no franchise has any business being as successful as the Patriots have been over the last ten years - or even over the last 'hellish' six, for that matter.

One other difference with those other sports in comparison to football is that NFL playoffs are decided by one game; the others are decided by a four out of seven series. That means in the NFL you are going to have more situations when the 'better' team does not win than in other sports. Sometimes that works in your favor (2001); sometimes it works against you (2007). Bottom line is that it makes a long run of championships by one team more difficult in comparison to other sports.

The difference between a top team and a bottom team in the NFL is much, much closer than final won-loss record would have you believe. The difference between the top six or eight teams is even slimmer. They're all filled with very good players, all giving it their best effort. As good as Brady and Belichick are, it's just not realistic to expect (as opposed to want) them to win championships every year the way the Celtics of the 60's or Yankees of the 50's did.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. That means on average a fan should see his team win a championship in his 16th year of following the team, and then one every 32 years thereafter. That's three championships in 80 years, if you should live that long.

We got a lifetime worth of championships in the space of 36 months. Everything else is gravy. Enjoy the ride. If anything short of a championship is failure, then the reality is you are going to be disappointed 97% of the time. If you know you are going to fail that often, why complain about it every time it happens?

Do I want the Pats to win a championship every year? Of course!

Do I realistically expect them to win a championship every year? No.

Really well thought out post, thanks Im better for reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News