PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A question for Patriot fans

The Packers were just too good that year and got over the hump because their Daddy (Dallas Cowboys) was starting to implode.

The Pats were lucky to get their because of the Jags massive upset with Denver.

I see that people wanted the Pats to run Martin more, but the Packers run defense with Gilbert Brown and Santana Dotson in the middle just wasn't going to happen. However, the following year is when that defense started to crack. Denver had the running scheme defensive players feared. Even with that, the Packers should've beaten Denver in 1997. But this was the beginning of a long history of playoff chokes for Brett Favre.
The funny thing is Aaron Rodgers owned the Cowboys but the 49ers owned Rodgers big time. Farve owned the 49ers but the Cowboys owned him big time.

No. We had Max Lane and you had Reggie White.

01 maybe. Talent-wise the 96 team was loaded.
I think that 96 Packers team was awesome! The 97 team was really good too. I thought we were better than Denver but not on Super Bowl Sunday.

You guys remember a Patriots Packers game maybe in the 1990s where We lost to you guys cause Chris Jacke missed an extra point? I remember Mike Holmgren was livid. The game would have gone to overtime had he made it. It was in Foxboro.

Do you remember the url? I still remember my late 90s angelfire site. Too painful/cringe to revisit.

I just did. Cringe. Can't believe it's still up.

Lycos must be mailing you checks every day for the link.

I think that 96 Packers team was awesome! The 97 team was really good too. I thought we were better than Denver but not on Super Bowl Sunday.

Yeah, Denver’s 96 team was so dominant. Would have been an incredible Super Bowl, though that still did happen the next year.

You guys remember a Patriots Packers game maybe in the 1990s where We lost to you guys cause Chris Jacke missed an extra point? I remember Mike Holmgren was livid. The game would have gone to overtime had he made it. It was in Foxboro.

I was at that game at 12 yrs old. I remember it pretty well because the Packers wore those extremely ugly old uniforms. Favre was an up and comer and threw a costly pick in 4th qtr when Packers had the momentum. It was a complete wtf throw.

The Packers missed the extra point and led by 2. Pats had a 33 yrd field goal to win it. I was sitting in the corner upper seats and remember being certain Matt Bahr missed the kicked because he completely shanked it but somehow it cleared the crossbar, almost looked like it was blocked, like a dead duck kick.

Lycos must be mailing you checks every day for the link.
Hahaha. That's another nostalgic name for sure.

Those were the good days. Geocities, Lycos, Angelfire, "warez", blaming my little brother for the viruses that killed the family PC (over and over..), etc.

I've been a software engineer for many years now, I and credit it completely to the burned copy of Visual Studio 6.0 that I paid $15.00 for.

96 Packers were one of the better champions of the Super Bowl era.

I can’t believe the Pats made a game of it despite the 4 interceptions by Bledsoe. I was never beat up by the loss though. Just thought of it as a good season and atleast knew the defense was legit.

I was at that game at 12 yrs old. I remember it pretty well because the Packers wore those extremely ugly old uniforms. Favre was an up and comer and threw a costly pick in 4th qtr when Packers had the momentum. It was a complete wtf throw.

The Packers missed the extra point and led by 2. Pats had a 33 yrd field goal to win it. I was sitting in the corner upper seats and remember being certain Matt Bahr missed the kicked because he completely shanked it but somehow it cleared the crossbar, almost looked like it was blocked, like a dead duck kick.

How was that game to be at? Favre always seemed to throw a horrible pass once every few games where it was like What is wrong with him.

Pats swept NFC Central that year. Almost ever game back then was a out of your seat nail biter.

I think they had a shot if prime Brady was there. Brady wouldn’t have played bombs away through the 4th quarter like Drew did with the obvious mismatch between Reggie White and Max Lane.

That was a good team though. Some of the foundation on defense for Dynasty 1.0 was there though not ready for prime time yet. Wish they kept running Curtis Martin through the 4th quarter.
When you're a deserved underdog, you must maximize your chances to win and be entirely focused.

There was almost (but not quite) as much Happy To Be There infecting the Patriots then as there was in their last visit to the Super Bowl in New Orleans eleven years earlier.

Parcells & Perkins needed to see that young Drew could throw a football but was otherwise in over his head with an impenetrable ceiling and needed to be protected like Tony Eason was during the '85 run.

And, they needed to see that young Curtis was the horse to tie your wagon to, regardless of the score. Eleven total carries was suicide.

Yeah, I don’t think they beat Denver.
John Elway never lost to the Patriots.

...because he started against Tony Eason, Tom Ramsey, Hugh Millen and Drew Bledsoe

The Patriots should have continued to let Curtis Martin pound the rock throughout the 4th quarter

That was the toughest loss ever in my history of being a fan.
You mean that the home loss to the Giants wasn't as tough? As I recall the Packers clutched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yeah, Denver’s 96 team was so dominant. Would have been an incredible Super Bowl, though that still did happen the next year.
Terrell Owens* was so dominant.

No. We had Max Lane and you had Reggie White.

01 maybe. Talent-wise the 96 team was loaded.
Max Lane got knocked back on his ass by White several times in the 4th Q.
It was the first time that my mother in law ever heard me say the f word.

I’ve lost car keys before and it sucks lol.
I once lost mine when I left them on the back bumper of a friends pickup when we had a beer after golf. He came by a day or two later asking if they were mine. He had driven to the local Elks and then home that night, and the next day was heading to Boston when he stopped in Somerville for a coffee. It was then that a man walking behind his truck noticed the keys. Thank God Frank was such a careful driver. There's no way those keys would have still been there if I was driving.

The funny thing is Aaron Rodgers owned the Cowboys but the 49ers owned Rodgers big time. Farve owned the 49ers but the Cowboys owned him big time.
Favre was an INT waiting to happen.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back