PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A question for Patriot fans

I was at that game. It was insanely cold that day and definitely a tough back and forth right up until Otis Smith’s play at the end.

That game and the Super Bowl was what inspired my cheesy Patriots page on Geocities that ultimately led to this place. :cool:
Do you remember the url? I still remember my late 90s angelfire site. Too painful/cringe to revisit.

I just did. Cringe. Can't believe it's still up.

First off not to bring up bad memories but In our Super Bowl matchup in 1996 do you guys think you win that game if Desmond Howard doesn’t return that kickoff for a Touchdown early in the 4th quarter? You guys think that Pats team was as good as the Super Bowl teams with Brady?

His Tunaship kicking away to Howard was unfathomable... until we found out the details.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
First off not to bring up bad memories but In our Super Bowl matchup in 1996 do you guys think you win that game if Desmond Howard doesn’t return that kickoff for a Touchdown early in the 4th quarter? You guys think that Pats team was as good as the Super Bowl teams with Brady?
No and No. Pats' HoF RB only had 44yds to that point (end of 3rd), and the QB was Bledsoe. The return was quite the dagger, though.

I was at that game. It was insanely cold that day and definitely a tough back and forth right up until Otis Smith’s play at the end.

That game and the Super Bowl was what inspired my cheesy Patriots page on Geocities that ultimately led to this place. :cool:
our seats were in section 12 back then... endzone was pretty wild... if you ever heard the chant larry larry larry (for larry whigham), that was us...

and geocities, man wow, thats an awesome story... back then i think i had a myspace lol

That was the toughest loss ever in my history of being a fan.
As a Pats fan my immediate thought was to offer memories of a Giants game in trade.
With all due respect I wish you guys beat the Giants in the 07 NFC Championship game and the 2011 divisional round ;) That team with Coach Coughlin had our number in the Super Bowl
Yeah.

Since we are discussing long past Pats-Packers history, I hope you can now appreciate what is one of my favorite Pats memories.

I know you didn’t enjoy it at the time, but c’mon, this is just awesome.

GB had 3 HOFers starting, were more talented except at RB, but as you pointed out it was a 1 score game until the return. If the return didn’t happen, since the Packers moved the hall fairly well, they played more conservatively after the return. if they hadn’t I think they may well have put up another score in the second half. The Patriots did not score again that game. So I think either way GB wins by 2 scores.

Since we are discussing long past Pats-Packers history, I hope you can now appreciate what is one of my favorite Pats memories.

I can’t see the video?

click on the link, it will open youtube
I remember that game! I watched that game at a buddies house and if I remember right it was a Sunday night game. I remember I thought we were going to win and we lost in the last minutes. What a heartbreaker. We actually went on to win the SB that year.

I was there too! My first AFCCG in person.

Jambalaya! Lol

We gave Brunell a few more reasons to cry lol. Clay with the massive INT in the end zone to deny the Jags a game tying TD, the O-T-I-S scoop 6 and then Tedy sealed it with another pick.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian

I know a Packer fan who said they should have let him score. Lol

Pack defense was gassed and seemingly had no answer for the Patriots screen game. When the Patriots fell behind 2 scores late, they started going downfield again instead of what helped them come back ----> using Keith Byars.

That's when Reggie White stamped his imprint on the game.

So, yes, the Howard run back was crucial for the Packers.

Maybe only Patriots fans know this but our gunner at the time got hurt, the famous Troy Brown, and his replacement played the KR horribly.

The Packers were just too good that year and got over the hump because their Daddy (Dallas Cowboys) was starting to implode.

The Pats were lucky to get their because of the Jags massive upset with Denver.

I see that people wanted the Pats to run Martin more, but the Packers run defense with Gilbert Brown and Santana Dotson in the middle just wasn't going to happen. However, the following year is when that defense started to crack. Denver had the running scheme defensive players feared. Even with that, the Packers should've beaten Denver in 1997. But this was the beginning of a long history of playoff chokes for Brett Favre.

Parcels thru that game. Best offensive player on the field barely touched the ball. Shameful.

First off not to bring up bad memories but In our Super Bowl matchup in 1996 do you guys think you win that game if Desmond Howard doesn’t return that kickoff for a Touchdown early in the 4th quarter?

No. We had Max Lane and you had Reggie White.
You guys think that Pats team was as good as the Super Bowl teams with Brady?
01 maybe. Talent-wise the 96 team was loaded.

That was the toughest loss ever in my history of being a fan.
Not even close. Playoff with Houston in 78, Raiders in 76, Jets 10-14-73, Bill Demory third string qb throws 7 passes, completes 1, they rush 58 times for 232 yards. I don't want this week to be a repeat. Bears SB 85. Too many others to remember here. Chargers in 66 (I think).

You guys think that Pats team was as good as the Super Bowl teams with Brady?
Overall, they had more talent than the Pats Super Bowl teams.

Drew Bledsoe
Terry Glenn
Curtis Martin
Shawn Jefferson
Sam Gash
Troy Brown
Willie McGinest
Chris Slade
Ted Johnson
Teddy Bruschi
Ty Law
Lawyer Milloy