PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is WELKER Traded before the season starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the over reaction? Wilfork and Mankins did the same thing and
are now members of the Patriots in good standing. Welker will have
a new long term contract by early July.

Why the over reaction? Wilfork and Mankins did the same thing and
are now members of the Patriots in good standing. Welker will have
a new long term contract by early July.

The solution there was that the Pats gave in and gave Wilfork and Mankins 5-6 year contracts that made them the highest paid players at their positions. Welker's not getting that.

Why the over reaction? Wilfork and Mankins did the same thing and are now members of the Patriots in good standing. Welker will have a new long term contract by early July.

You beat me to it Jimke, though my initial thoughts were Brady and Wilfork rather than Wilfork and Mankins.

Remember how most of the media and fans had collectively convinced themselves that because of a 'disconnect' between Kraft and Brady that there was no doubt that Brady would be the 49ers QB by now?

Remember how the same group had convinced themselves that there was no way that Vince Wilfork would re-sign with the Patriots?

If anything the end result of the Seymour (and to a lesser extent Branch) negotiations will result in a greater likelihood that the team will work out a deal with Welker. Obviously anything is possible, but to me there is a far greater chance that the two will work something out that both are happy with. The Pats were in a much better position toe move on without Seymour (Ty Warren and Jarvis Green) than they are now (Edelman or Gonzalez); based on what they learned from that personnel move I would assume they are going to do what it takes to re-sign Welker.

From what he has said I do not believe Welker is seeking to become the highest paid receiver in the game. I am confident a mutually beneficial deal can and will be worked out. Patience everyone; there's not much incentive for either side to make concessions in order to get the deal done yet.

Exactly what alternate universe were you watching this Patriots team in because it clearly wasn't this one? And Gonzalez? Seriously? The man has not equaled any of Welkers years in 5 total years, 07 to 11.

You are a Mystery.

He's not the "Best wide receiver" because of the position he plays he is considered more of a "slot receiver."

When one thinks of a "wide receiver" usually it is a player over 6 feet tall, more than likely black, and one who can run fast, get behind the defense and be a threat for a long gainer.

Welker is totally different than what one considers an NFL wide receiver.

And, as I said, I seriously doubt that he can be as effective as he has been because of the fact that Brady makes him what he is, and he will not find any other Bradys out there that run the same type of offensive philosophy.

Has he been a major part of the Pats offense in recent years? Sure he has. Has he made many, many clutch catches? Sure he has.

He may be, statistically, the best receiver on the team but is he the best "wide receiver?" I say certainly not.

Debate my reasoning and let's discuss it.

He's not the "Best wide receiver" because of the position he plays he is considered more of a "slot receiver."

When one thinks of a "wide receiver" usually it is a player over 6 feet tall, more than likely black, and one who can run fast, get behind the defense and be a threat for a long gainer.

And, as I said, I seriously doubt that he can be as effective as he has been because of the fact that Brady makes him what he is, and he will not find any other Bradys out there that run the same type of offensive philosophy.

Has he been a major part of the Pats offense in recent years? Sure he has. Has he made many, many clutch catches? Sure he has.

He may be, statistically, the best receiver on the team but is he the best "wide receiver?" I say certainly not.

What's Wes Welker's position according to NFL listed publications ignoring the role he plays for the team?

Let's trade him for Revis!

VanDrake has a Welker fetish ... might also involve pantyhose is the rumor.

ugh... Welker was a huge part of the team last year, and Im a huge patriots fan.

Whats so out of the ordinary about making some threads related to Welker?

Our best??? I think not. Dont just go by the numbers alone. Welker has done a great job as the slot receiver, but our BEST wide receiver, I think not.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Who wants to tell this guy that a Slot Receiver IS a Wide Receiver??
jester.gif

When one thinks of a "wide receiver" usually it is a player over 6 feet tall, more than likely black...

facepalm.gif

Syntax Error. :snob:

Welker's value is appraised by what he bring to the Pats. What does it matter what he'll produce with Sanchez or someone else throwing to him?

And the long gainer is a play that is much less frequent. Welker ring the bell far more often.

2011 NFL Player Receiving Stats - National Football League - ESPN

If WWW gets traded I might kill myself.

Also, if I ever see his dropped SB pass on TV (I only saw it live), I might kill myself.

Also, if that Mystery troll keeps posting I will definitely kill myself.

Don't worry, I'll continue my front-running posting from beyond the grave.

Our best??? I think not. Dont just go by the numbers alone. Welker has done a great job as the slot receiver, but our BEST wide receiver, I think not. He is not a threat to consistently get the deep ass, or consistently score touchdowns.

He has a great working relationship with Brady and he knows how to find the open spots in the seams, but the Pats BEST wide receiver, NOT.

I would trade him if something good becomes available. I believe that the Pats have the players on the roster that can pick up the slack if Welker is gone, Edelman, Gonzalez...

The Pats need to seriously offer him a lot less money because i believe that they hold the aces in the whole, and that there will not be many teams out there wiling to pay Welker a huge amount because they realize that without Brady, and Brady's mind thought on the game, Welker would become an average receiver in any other system than the Pats. I believe Welker realizes that, too.

If Welker is not the best wide receiver on the Patriots, then who is?

Would the Patriots be better off without Welker, or without Julian Edelman?

Repeat same question one at a time, replacing Edelman with Branch, Ochocinco, etc.

The team just went 15-3 and went to the Super Bowl with Welker as a member of the team. Would that have happened without him? What is the probability of the team doing better without him in 2012?

An honest answer to those questions will lead to an objective appraisal of whether or not Welker is the best wide receiver on the Patriots team. Why exclude certain stats (number of receptions, total yards receiving) but include others (number of receptions over X yards, height, number of touchdown receptions) if you don't want to go by the numbers alone?

Edelman had one or two good games when Welker was out, but as time went on it became very apparent that he was not and is not as productive as Welker is. I truly hope Gonzalez works out but considering how little he has been able to accomplish the last few years, that seems like a terribly unnecessary risk to bank on him to replace Welker's ability to move the chains. Similarly I wouldn't be comfortable counting on Stallworth, Ochocinco, Underwood or whoever else to make up for Welker's yardage, receptions and first downs either.

The fact he may be worth less to other teams is irrelevant. Based on the numbers that he has produced I am confident there is another team somewhere that will pay dearly for him. Would you prefer he sit out until week nine and then walk next offseason? I don't know if I would consider that a winning negotiating strategy unless you're a team that is strictly interested in bottom line profits over all else.

Last edited:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Who wants to tell this guy that a Slot Receiver IS a Wide Receiver??
jester.gif

In official name only. But, when most people think of wide receivers on a football team, they think of the outside guys, and that is exactly what I meant, and if you cant grasp it, then perhaps you should ask for help.

Our tight ends could line up as a slot receiver but they are not called wide receivers, are they?

It might be a petty point seeing as the NFL only lists wide receivers, with only TWO being allowed to line up ON the line of scrimmage. If a team puts in one, or two more, they are generally referred to as the slot receivers on a given play.

Would someone tell this guy?

facepalm.gif

Do you have a problem with the facts. Debate that comment, but of course, you can not because you know its true. If you believe otherwise, enlighten all of us.

Syntax Error. :snob:

That is a cop out because you know you havent got a chance at debunking my comments. Tough luck. As is said.............."gotcha"

Last edited:
If Welker is not the best wide receiver on the Patriots, then who is?

Would the Patriots be better off without Welker, or without Julian Edelman?

Repeat same question one at a time, replacing Edelman with Branch, Ochocinco, etc.

The team just went 15-3 and went to the Super Bowl with Welker as a member of the team. Would that have happened without him? What is the probability of the team doing better without him in 2012?

An honest answer to those questions will lead to an objective appraisal of whether or not Welker is the best wide receiver on the Patriots team. Why exclude certain stats (number of receptions, total yards receiving) but include others (number of receptions over X yards, height, number of touchdown receptions) if you don't want to go by the numbers alone?

Edelman had one or two good games when Welker was out, but as time went on it became very apparent that he was not and is not as productive as Welker is. I truly hope Gonzalez works out but considering how little he has been able to accomplish the last few years, that seems like a terribly unnecessary risk to bank on him to replace Welker's ability to move the chains. Similarly I wouldn't be comfortable counting on Stallworth, Ochocinco, Underwood or whoever else to make up for Welker's yardage, receptions and first downs either.

The fact he may be worth less to other teams is irrelevant. Based on the numbers that he has produced I am confident there is another team somewhere that will pay dearly for him. Would you prefer he sit out until week nine and then walk next offseason? I don't know if I would consider that a winning negotiating strategy unless you're a team that is strictly interested in bottom line profits over all else.
This is the underlying point. Welker's worth to other teams doesn't concern me because I know what his worth to the Patriots is; damned high.

Edelman has been doing decent Welker impersonations when given the chance as well. Branch might be able to step into that slot role. Hernendez will probably get a lot more touches this year with Lloyd stretching the field.

No, he really hasn't. Edleman had a few good YAC attempts/plays in his rookie season and has been a pure JAG ever since.

when someone posts that Welker is not a wide receiver , you should immediately call your broker and buy, buy, buy shares of all pharmaceutical companies that produce anti-psychotic meds....an epidemic of delusion is imminent.

This is from the OFFICIAL NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS TEAM site...

ImgDyn.cfm

83 Wes Welker WR
Height: 5-9 Weight: 185
Year: 7 Yrs/Pat: 4
Acquired: T(MIA)-07
School: Texas Tech
Born: May 1, 1981

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore