PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is WELKER Traded before the season starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What do you think?

It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. Vrabel and Seymour trades came out of nowhere and everyone was surprised.

I won't be surprised if Welker is traded. We added Brandon Lloyd, Dante Stallworth, and Anthony Gonzalez.

Edelman has been doing decent Welker impersonations when given the chance as well. Branch might be able to step into that slot role. Hernendez will probably get a lot more touches this year with Lloyd stretching the field.

Lloyd out the outside. Ocho/Stallworth on the other side. Branch/Edelman in the slot. Gronk and Hernendez at Tight End.

I just think with all the signings, it makes Welker a little more expendable in BB's mind. No ones talking about it, but I think theres a high chance Welker gets dealt before the season starts. BB has shown in the past he "does whats best for the team" and getting rid of Welkers high pay to make room for other signings may be a controversial move he makes. He didn't hesitate to get rid of Patriot favorites before, like Lawyer Milloy.

Why on earth would we keep Branch instead of Welker?

I don't think that anything is out of the realm of possibility for a Belichick coached team, but by all accounts Welker has overachieved and done every single thing that has been asked of him. He is also Brady's go-to guy in just about every important situation still, and those 2 are still the straw that stirs the drink--despite the emergence of Gronk and Hernandez.

The one and only issue seems to be that the NEP are not on the same page with his financial compensation, and aren't as willing as he would like to give him a longer term deal (more than 2 years or so).

I still think that both sides want each other, and both sides appreciate the other's stance from a business standpoint. I think that a deal is almost certain, but both sides are going to have to budge a bit--and that is not typically the Patriots M.O.

I do not think that he is traded though. He brings much more than what the trade value would give us. They just need to be able to agree on a fair deal. From all accounts, it doesn't even appear that they have worked too hard at it up to this point, or at least lately.

Branch is cheap insurance, Welker is going to be expensive.

But Welker is good, and Branch is not.

I'm also unsure why the fact that we signed one good receiver and two nobodies means we're set to go ahead and jettison our best wideout?

Welker = Not under contract

Unless he signs his tender, we's not going anywhere. He's not under contract. They are not going to go through the pain and headache of negotiating a long-term deal (which is the only one he'd sign), only to trade him. They are not gonna trade a 9.5 million dollar player either if he does sign the tender without a deal.

I know you are thinking about the Cassel situation, but it's not even remotely similar. Cassel signed because he was going to be traded and knew it (probably even held out a bit for some leverage on where he would end up (a place he could start).

This is not even remotely the same situation.

After he decides to play under.the tag.

I would not be surprised.

I hope not. But it COULD happen.

Lord, here we go again.

This is somewhat similar to the Cassel situation: great player/great value in the Pats' system, not so much for any other team. Many people around here believed that Cassel would fetch a first and two seconds or some such nonsense. Put very simply, Welker is just not nearly as valuable to ANY other team as he is to the Patriots.

I'm also unsure why the fact that we signed one good receiver and two nobodies means we're set to go ahead and jettison our best wideout?

Our best??? I think not. Dont just go by the numbers alone. Welker has done a great job as the slot receiver, but our BEST wide receiver, I think not. He is not a threat to consistently get the deep ass, or consistently score touchdowns.

He has a great working relationship with Brady and he knows how to find the open spots in the seams, but the Pats BEST wide receiver, NOT.

I would trade him if something good becomes available. I believe that the Pats have the players on the roster that can pick up the slack if Welker is gone, Edelman, Gonzalez...

The Pats need to seriously offer him a lot less money because i believe that they hold the aces in the whole, and that there will not be many teams out there wiling to pay Welker a huge amount because they realize that without Brady, and Brady's mind thought on the game, Welker would become an average receiver in any other system than the Pats. I believe Welker realizes that, too.

What do you think?

It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. Vrabel and Seymour trades came out of nowhere and everyone was surprised.

I won't be surprised if Welker is traded. We added Brandon Lloyd, Dante Stallworth, and Anthony Gonzalez.

Edelman has been doing decent Welker impersonations when given the chance as well. Branch might be able to step into that slot role. Hernendez will probably get a lot more touches this year with Lloyd stretching the field.

Lloyd out the outside. Ocho/Stallworth on the other side. Branch/Edelman in the slot. Gronk and Hernendez at Tight End.

I just think with all the signings, it makes Welker a little more expendable in BB's mind. No ones talking about it, but I think theres a high chance Welker gets dealt before the season starts. BB has shown in the past he "does whats best for the team" and getting rid of Welkers high pay to make room for other signings may be a controversial move he makes. He didn't hesitate to get rid of Patriot favorites before, like Lawyer Milloy.

That seems to be a common perception around here, but it just isn't true. Welker has proven to be capable of being the #1 WR in an offense. Edelman is, at best, a #4 receiver. Their skillsets are a little bit similar, but their talent levels aren't even close. I really wish that people would stop making this claim, considering that Edelman has caught all of 11 passes in the past two seasons, at a time when we were lacking in talent at WR.

If I had to guess on why they can't find an agreeable number, my bet would be because the Patriots know that they're going to have to pay Gronk and Hernandez in two years, and they don't want a long-term Welker deal limiting their ability to retain both tight ends. They would have liked to have signed him to a contract that reflects this reality, but if need be two years under the franchise tag will serve the same effect.

Last edited:
No........ It really is that simple.

Unfortunately, this year's silly season has been especially so. Between the trolls and some 'interesting' new posters, and the usual suspects on both sides of the homer/hater aisle, there seems to have been a much higher percentage of idiotic comments and ideas on the site in recent weeks.

Thank goodness the draft is almost here, so we can all go 'round and 'round about how player X is a perfect/awful pick who's going to save/destroy the team in 2012 and beyond. ;)

Our best??? I think not. Dont just go by the numbers alone. Welker has done a great job as the slot receiver, but our BEST wide receiver, I think not. He is not a threat to consistently get the deep ass, or consistently score touchdowns.

He has a great working relationship with Brady and he knows how to find the open spots in the seams, but the Pats BEST wide receiver, NOT.

I would trade him if something good becomes available. I believe that the Pats have the players on the roster that can pick up the slack if Welker is gone, Edelman, Gonzalez...

The Pats need to seriously offer him a lot less money because i believe that they hold the aces in the whole, and that there will not be many teams out there wiling to pay Welker a huge amount because they realize that without Brady, and Brady's mind thought on the game, Welker would become an average receiver in any other system than the Pats. I believe Welker realizes that, too.

Who was our best wideout last year, if not Welker? Branch? Underwood? Ochocinco?

As usual, pretty much nothing you've written here is accurate.

Unfortunately, this year's silly season has been especially so. Between the trolls and some 'interesting' new posters, and the usual suspects on both sides of the homer/hater aisle, there seems to have been a much higher percentage of idiotic comments and ideas on the site in recent weeks.

Thank goodness the draft is almost here, so we can all go 'round and 'round about how player X is a perfect/awful pick who's going to save/destroy the team in 2012 and beyond. ;)

Between Arrington being the worst corner on the roster (overrated he is, but worst I think not) and Welker not being the best receiver on last year's roster, it really makes you wonder doesn't it?

You simply have to be a troll. If you are an actual pats fan then I think you may have mental problems.

Between Arrington being the worst corner on the roster (overrated he is, but worst I think not) and Welker not being the best receiver on last year's roster, it really makes you wonder doesn't it?

I stopped wondering almost as soon as he started posting:

This message is hidden because Mystery Pats Fan is on your ignore list.

It's been a busy year for the ignore list. It's been so bad that I might not even reset it on draft day, which was my original intention.

Exactly what alternate universe were you watching this Patriots team in because it clearly wasn't this one? And Gonzalez? Seriously? The man has not equaled any of Welkers years in 5 total years, 07 to 11.

You are a Mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference