PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this Maroneys breakout game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A breakout game is the first of many good games, not just one game.

If he does the same again next week against an equally rubbish team then yeah, maybe we can say it is.

It's a good line, 7.7 average etc, but it's only one game

Clearly the naysayers are taking the approach that he has proven nothing yet. Although none of them are showing the absolute lack of confidence they had in the man just a couple of days ago.

I have always believed that the guy is our best running back. My mind hasn't changed but I'm not gonna start raving about him because he had one good game either.

I just hope if he doesn't have a huge game next week that we are not back to the 'Maroney is useless' crap again.

The offense is proven. Maroney is NOT. DO you honestly think it makes sense to judge a player based on one game? I can't even say Brady is back even though I hope so.

Maroney was mostly healthy in 2006 and 2007, and averaged about 4.5 YPC. He was out 2008 with an injury and is averaging 4.6 YPC this year. This is a guy that is far above the league average for YPC even though he consistently has to face fresh defenses, and doesn't usually get the benefit of running on a tired D in the 4th quarter. If he still has something to prove to you, I submit that your expectations are simply too high.

Maroney is still skipping and hopping. The only reason he had a good game was because the Titans laid down like dogs. I would much rather see Green-Eliss carry the ball. He runs like his hair is on fire, and looks to hit the defender hard.

Maroney is still skipping and hopping. The only reason he had a good game was because the Titans laid down like dogs. I would much rather see Green-Eliss carry the ball. He runs like his hair is on fire, and looks to hit the defender hard.

No matter what Maroney does, it still won't be good enough for some people around here. Unbelievable.

Right on. Did you see him skip and hop into that hole when he ripped off the 46-yarder? Puke. Morris would have hit that hole much harder on his way to a 20 yard gain.

Maroney breakout game thread #53 ... sooner or later someone will get the week right. :ugh:

Yup. Looks like Triumph wins the office pool on this one.

Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor have far fewer problems picking up chunks of yards with the current Patriot O line.

Took me a while to admit it myself.... but LOMO is a bust and he's made of glass!

Taylor and Morris go out with injuries and Maroney is made of glass?! Don't they teach logic in schools anymore?

Poor Maroney, carrying the weight of 3 scapegoats now that Seymour is gone and Watson has fallen under the radar.

:rofl:

On his long TD run, seemed like he hit the hole before it was even there. Looked like he squeezed thru a 6 inch gap. That was great running.

He does this pretty regularly. If the hole develops even a little bit, he gets 3-4 yards. If the 2nd line is slow getting there, he gets 6-9 yards. If the line does it's job perfectly and the MLB fills the wrong gap, like on this one, he's off to the races. I think he's been their best back at hitting the small holes, but he has hesitated at hitting non-holes and taking the 1-2 yards that would result. That may be a function of indecisiveness on zone blocked plays, where the back needs to choose the hole himself, but when he's committed to a primary hole generated by trap/pull blocking schemes and isn't worried about whether he should cut back, he's as good as we've got. In the snow, LoMo had not choice but to run straight ahead, since a cutback would have landed him on his own ass, and he did rather well that way. If he keeps that up for another week, he could get his confidence back and be the back some of us remember.

Breakout game?

100+ yards?

Um, No.

Not today.

Not ever.

Anybody have a towel so I can wipe the egg off my face?

Given the conditions & the opponent, the offense needed a good game from LaMa, and they got it.

In order to stay effective now, LaMa needs to run like he ran Sunday. He also needs his OL to block like they blocked Sunday. And he needs his coaches to emphasize the run game like they did Sunday; his coaches must in fact continue to stress, esp. to Koppen & Kaczur, that run-blocking is almost as important as pass-blocking, and that sustaining their blocks is actually a good thing.

I wonder how coincedental it was that LaMa's best game of the season came when SeaBass replaced Light at LT?

For the umpteenth time, I would still feel a lot more comfortable if we had a true lead-blocking FB (like this Heath Evans guy for the Saints) on the 53. LaMa might feel more comfortable, too.

Anybody have a towel so I can wipe the egg off my face?

Me too please... won't lie - was kinda aggravated with thread, thinking the days of a possible breakout were dead.

Don't get me wrong, not sure he does that against a team that cares, but hey... good on you Maroney.

If Maroney runs well for a 2nd time in a row against a crappy 0-6 team that will make some of you convinced he has turned the corner?...wow just wow

Teams get tougher after the bye break,then we shall see what #39 has

I am a Maroney supporter, but I think the snow game is a tough one to realy take much from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News