PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this Maroneys breakout game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
100 + yards?

Hes a great RB that needs some blocking and playcalling, but I like his chances on a slippery field where the stutter step is a deadly move. Ala Barry Sanders.

Go Koolaid

For the most part, I've been a patient fan when it comes to Maroney. But I wonder what you base "he's a great rb" on...

He won't break out - TENN has a putrid backfield and the Pats love the pass... look for limited carries. He might CATCH 2 or 3 for 20 yards - that'd be a start.

he catches very well adn would surpised me for him to have 4-5 catches and i hope he runs for 80+ but not expecting that

Physically and talent-wise, we know Maroney could break out for over 100 yards any game. Mentally, it's just not there for him, he's in a slump.

As a running back, you really can get into those slumps. Back in my high school days, the same thing happened to me. There was a stretch of about 4 games when I averaged under three yards per carry. As a power back, I kept waiting too long for my hole, going too high, I was just thinking about it too much. When you think about it, you tend to struggle.

After running through the hole high and being knocked on my ass by a 6', 220 pound linebacker, I somehow got back into it. I can't really explain what happened, but it clicked. Over the final three games of my junior season, I ran for 350 yards and five touchdowns, to finish the year at 726 and 8 touchdowns on 4.1 ypc. Ok, back to Maroney.

I think the thing is with him is that he WILL come out of his slump. Mentally, he's just not ready to yet. You see him keep talking about how he needs to get back to what he used to be. He can't. He will never. He just needs to run, and it will come back to him.

I don't think today's game will be his breakout game, Tennessee is really solid against the run, but I do think he will get that game eventually.

Maroney should go back to college. He was pretty good there.

Tennessee is 2nd in AFC rush defense and 3rd in the NFL. Maroney will have a better chance of having his breakout game next week, against the Bucs.

Is it suppose to be cold and windy today? I live in LaMesa, ca. where it was 97 degrees yesterday.A little cold and rain would be nice. Not for the Patriots passing game thou..

I don't think Maroney has adjusted to the speed of the pro game vs. college. The holes open and close too quick - I just don't think he can see that happening in time to hit the hole. The holes opened, and closed, slower in college, and it worked for him back then.

I'd love to see us use him more in the Faulk role - shotgun draws, receiving out of the backfield - he'll do pretty well with that, I think. But he won't get that chance as long as Faulk is here, as Faulk is (obviously) better at it.

he's in a slump.

I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves... a "slump" is when an established player plays poorly for a certain period of time. Here, we have a guy who looked awesome in one game against Cincy several years ago. Perhaps (and I say "perhaps") he could be given credit for solid running in late 07 as teams really, really tried to lock in to TFB and friends.

No. It is not. I sure hope the Pats win, but if they do it will not be because of Maroney.

100 + yards?

Hes a great RB that needs some blocking and playcalling, but I like his chances on a slippery field where the stutter step is a deadly move. Ala Barry Sanders.

Go Koolaid

LOL!!! In this weather? He'll be doing his Gene Kelly impression of dancing in the rain. This game has Sammy Morris bull-style written all over it. Koolaide can sit on the bench and watch.

I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves... a "slump" is when an established player plays poorly for a certain period of time. Here, we have a guy who looked awesome in one game against Cincy several years ago. Perhaps (and I say "perhaps") he could be given credit for solid running in late 07 as teams really, really tried to lock in to TFB and friends.

Disagree with you.

Maroney has only played in 8 games since XLII. Can eight games constitute as a slump? I believe so. Tom Brady is in a slump of five games coming off injury.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm giving Maroney at least a few more games in 2009 before his verdict is sealed.

Maroney had plenty of breakout games his rookie season, after seeing him that season I thought he was going to be one of the best runners in the league, I don't know of his body got messed up or it was his head but he hasn't been the same since.

100 + yards?

Go Koolaid

Maroney breakout game thread #53 ... sooner or later someone will get the week right. :ugh:

First reaction is hell no... the guy is a JAG but then again. With all the injuries in the Titans secondary maybe they play a lot of 6 or 7 man fronts which would force the Patriots to be more patient and run the ball more.

But then again the Titans bread and butter is to stop the run.

Maroney's line will be:
  • 9 rushes for 42 yards, 3 rushes for 1 yard or less
  • 2 receptions for 21 yards
  • 1 missed block

breakout??? To be be honest, I'd be happy when he finally learns to trust play and hit the hole like he was on a mission. But I'm sure we will see him dancing....dancing....dancing. Enough is enough.

Last edited:
I recall a very rainy game 25 years ago that ended with Flutie throwing a hail mary to Phelan to win 47-45. Rain favors the passing game and favors the receivers.

Is it suppose to be cold and windy today? I live in LaMesa, ca. where it was 97 degrees yesterday.A little cold and rain would be nice. Not for the Patriots passing game thou..

I recall a very rainy game 25 years ago that ended with Flutie throwing a hail mary to Phelan to win 47-45. Rain favors the passing game and favors the receivers.

...and the gametime temp was 77 deg as opposed to low 40s today.

If the patriot players aren't comfortable playing when the temperature is in the 40's, they shouldn't playing in the NFL.

The patriots have always been more comfortable playing when the temperature is in the 40's rather than the mid 70's.

...and the gametime temp was 77 deg as opposed to low 40s today.

Last edited:
Yes, yes it is Maroney's breakout game. The latest in a series of them in fact. Every freaking game is Maroney's breakout game, except those that have not been, to date, just about all of them.

Eventually he'll top 100 yards. And, what?

He is what he is. He can get yards in space. He is not at present an every-down guy. Can we please, one day, some day, please stop hanging on this or that situation and saying hopefully "Is this Maroney's breakout game?" or "Is this Maroney's breakout year?"

It's time to stop looking for signs and time to look at him as a functional piece of the puzzle, and stop asking "when will he be more?" One day maybe he shows us more, then it's a pleasant surprise.

You can't break him of that style of his, but this is not the playground and its not a saturday in the college ranks... this is the NFL, and the side-to-side move has seldom had any effect much different from standing still. That is a bad strategy for a running back. There is a reason they're called running backs, not shuffling backs or standing backs.

Okay enough. I'm actually a Maroney backer from way back. He can break off chunks of yardage on occasion. He has never yet consistently shown decisiveness. Last week I did see him pick up some of the tough yards and I got a little smile... but then he was back to the wasted motions that have marked his few years in the NFL thus far.

So, from your lips to God's ears and all that... but I'm not holding my breath.

(PS, by the transitive property of cursed posts, Maroney will now run for 200 yards and 4 TDs.)

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye