PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this Maroneys breakout game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the pats started to pass more and i guess he is not a good pass blocker

and the game was over at the half so no reason to give him 30 att in a blow out win

but im with you i would like to see him get the ball more

Maroney is a good pass blocker.Not as good as Faulk, but good. I think they lightened Maroney's workload as the game went on because, with Morris out, they absolutely can't afford for him to get injured. They're not going to run him any more than they have to when the game's already over.

Was gonna start a new thread tipping the cap to #39, but will just piggy-back this one ...

Maroney looked very good today. Had the game been closer and they needed to run him more, he probably would have come close to 200.

And once again, he gets a dump off in space and it's an instant move-the-chains play.

Hopefully it will be more of the same if the Morris injury pushes Maroney into more a feature back role ...

i think after seeing this game, we can draw some conclusive information for why maroney either fails or suceeds....

if someone saw this game, and believes maroney wasnt "dancing" u werent watching closely

maroney "shuffle stepped" all night long, until he found a hole he liked and when he saw it, he went through it

now if the hole is there wil he still shuffle? who knows, but if the O-line creates a hole, he will get through it

if no one gets to the point where he gets handed the ball, maroney will shuffle until the O-line creates a hole, and then power through it

and on the open field he will stiff arm you, and run through you, so u have to tackle well

i dont know why the D-line wasnt getting to the handoff point tonight, but if our O line can keep the D line from doing that constistently, Maroney will finish off the year w/ amazing numbers

its been the O-line so far, b/c it was not complementary to Maroney's "shuffle step"

tonight the O-line played complementary to the "shuffle step" and Maroney and hence running game succeeded

i think after seeing this game, we can draw some conclusive information for why maroney either fails or suceeds....

if someone saw this game, and believes maroney wasnt "dancing" u werent watching closely

maroney "shuffle stepped" all night long, until he found a hole he liked and when he saw it, he went through it

now if the hole is there wil he still shuffle? who knows, but if the O-line creates a hole, he will get through it

if no one gets to the point where he gets handed the ball, maroney will shuffle until the O-line creates a hole, and then power through it

and on the open field he will stiff arm you, and run through you, so u have to tackle well

i dont know why the D-line wasnt getting to the handoff point tonight, but if our O line can keep the D line from doing that constistently, Maroney will finish off the year w/ amazing numbers

its been the O-line so far, b/c it was not complementary to Maroney's "shuffle step"

tonight the O-line played complementary to the "shuffle step" and Maroney and hence running game succeeded

That "shuffle step" that everyone has been referring to as dancing has also been described as "being patient" or "letting the play develop." Maroney's been getting a bad rap for the OL's inability to open holes and keep defenders out of the backfield.

I've never really been sure what everyone was watching this year. I guess everyone thought that Maroney was going to be the second coming of Curtis Martin when we drafted him and, when he turned out to be anything but, people became disappointed with him and began labeling him a bust and what not. The fact of the matter is that, when healthy, he has looked really good. This season has been different, however. This season, he has been healthy, but has not gotten a ton of carries that a number one back would usually get. You see him get five or six carries in a game and you shake your head. When he has gotten his chance to run the ball, Maroney has looked good this year. That was proven again today. Now that Morris is out (hopefully not for the long term), we should start to see what Maroney can really offer when not injured. Considering our injuries at RB currently, I wish Maroney a clean bill of health.

condon84 said:

That "shuffle step" that everyone has been referring to as dancing has also been described as "being patient" or "letting the play develop." Maroney's been getting a bad rap for the OL's inability to open holes and keep defenders out of the backfield.

Exactly. There is a difference between "dancing" trying to make people miss and patiently keeping your feet moving in space while waiting for the play to develop.

Maroney was patient tonight. Instead of trying to make something from nothing, he let the play evolve around him and he was dynamite.

He could have rushed for 200+ tonight. Great to see LoMo in that form, especially early in the game.

Maroney on snow=Emmitt smith on snow in Madden 94

Maroney on dry land=dancer

I think Vollmer opened up some gaps for Maroney today

Last edited:

EXACTLY. People decide whether it's a good thing or a bad thing after the fact. It's neither, inherently- it's not even high risk/high reward. It's just a different style. As long as Maroney isn't consistently getting hit in the backfield, he will continue to break runs like that.

can we ban the word dancing or dancer or dance on this forum in regards to maroney? he had 123 on 16 carries and people still can't get off his back... don't know if people saw him dancing for his 45 yard touchdown. it was interesting to see the contrasting styles of law firm and him tho. hopefully we'll see the same against the bucs who had 260+ yards run on them

its harder for defenses in the snow. I am sorry but I can't make any evaluations on Maroney's running in not just one game but one snow game. C'mmon guys.

its harder for defenses in the snow. I am sorry but I can't make any evaluations on Maroney's running in not just one game but one snow game. C'mmon guys.

Same holds true for the rest of the offense, right?

The offense is proven. Maroney is NOT. DO you honestly think it makes sense to judge a player based on one game? I can't even say Brady is back even though I hope so.

Screw the offense, think about our defense. It may be the best unit of the last 10 years to pull a shutout in the snow like that.

Poor Maroney, carrying the weight of 3 scapegoats now that Seymour is gone and Watson has fallen under the radar.

Poor Maroney, carrying the weight of 3 scapegoats now that Seymour is gone and Watson has fallen under the radar.
Plays a great game and it's because of the snow. Go figure.

On his long TD run, seemed like he hit the hole before it was even there. Looked like he squeezed thru a 6 inch gap. That was great running.

Plays a great game and it's because of the snow. Go figure.

Hahaha, no kidding. Next week it'll be "yeah, he can run well in Europe, but running in AMERICA is different!"

See, my take is...the production may be a factor of the snow BUT the effort wasn't.

He was less hesitant and seemed more forceful out there than at any time this season. He's still hanging around, I hope the light clicks on for him, I really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News