PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this Maroneys breakout game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...Maroney will have 200 yards and 4 td's...by the end of the season.

Maroney breakout game thread #53 ... sooner or later someone will get the week right. :ugh:

This.

It seems like there's one of these threads every week about Maroney.

I think his next breakout game will be against San Diego in 2010....when he is an Oakland Raider.

Final score.

San Diego 34
Oakland 7

LM 93 yards rushing. No TD

Last week he as 5 carries for 21 yds and i bet he will not run for 100 yrds in 5 carries this week.

Maroney is not that great of a RB. When will people accept that and stop making these "Will Maroney arrive this week?" threads.

I don't think so. I can't see O'Brien changing anything and giving him more than five or six carries in favor of Sammy Morris. However, I hope that if he must be used a little bit, it's in the passing game on first and second downs (save third downs for Faulk). Maroney is flat out deadly in open space and, as mentioned, on days like this his ability to make people miss is coveted.

The bigger question is, who do I start as an emergency fill-in RB this week?

Maroney today in bad weather vs. the Titans, or a banged up Buckhalter on Monday night against the Chargers???

Yes, I'm between a rock and a hard place, but any advice is appreciated! :)

The bigger question is, who do I start as an emergency fill-in RB this week?

Maroney today in bad weather vs. the Titans, or a banged up Buckhalter on Monday night against the Chargers???

Yes, I'm between a rock and a hard place, but any advice is appreciated! :)

Buckhalter, and it's not even close.

In the words of the King...

elvis-presley.jpg

A little less talk, a little more action...

Yes, yes it is Maroney's breakout game. The latest in a series of them in fact. Every freaking game is Maroney's breakout game, except those that have not been, to date, just about all of them.

Eventually he'll top 100 yards. And, what?

He is what he is. He can get yards in space. He is not at present an every-down guy. Can we please, one day, some day, please stop hanging on this or that situation and saying hopefully "Is this Maroney's breakout game?" or "Is this Maroney's breakout year?"

It's time to stop looking for signs and time to look at him as a functional piece of the puzzle, and stop asking "when will he be more?" One day maybe he shows us more, then it's a pleasant surprise.

You can't break him of that style of his, but this is not the playground and its not a saturday in the college ranks... this is the NFL, and the side-to-side move has seldom had any effect much different from standing still. That is a bad strategy for a running back. There is a reason they're called running backs, not shuffling backs or standing backs.

Okay enough. I'm actually a Maroney backer from way back. He can break off chunks of yardage on occasion. He has never yet consistently shown decisiveness. Last week I did see him pick up some of the tough yards and I got a little smile... but then he was back to the wasted motions that have marked his few years in the NFL thus far.

So, from your lips to God's ears and all that... but I'm not holding my breath.

(PS, by the transitive property of cursed posts, Maroney will now run for 200 yards and 4 TDs.)

PFnV

If you want to have a feature back, you have to feature the back. If you want to see a feature back play like one, he has to have the blocking to succeed.

When I see him fail after both of the above come true, I will agree with all the naysayers.

If Maroney doesnt see more than 10 carries today then I think its pretty safe to say that he wont be here next year

If you want to have a feature back, you have to feature the back. If you want to see a feature back play like one, he has to have the blocking to succeed.

When I see him fail after both of the above come true, I will agree with all the naysayers.

Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor have far fewer problems picking up chunks of yards with the current Patriot O line.

Took me a while to admit it myself.... but LOMO is a bust and he's made of glass!

What if Maroney gets 100 yards this game? It doesn't change anything. He will revert back to his old ineffective self for long stretches. He is marginally effective in NFL. There are 200 running backs in the league that are ahead of him, a waste for the 1st round draft.

Last edited:
100 + yards?

Hes a great RB that needs some blocking and playcalling, but I like his chances on a slippery field where the stutter step is a deadly move. Ala Barry Sanders.

Go Koolaid

:rofl:

No, we'll see the same Maroney

100 + yards?

He's a great RB that needs some blocking and playcalling, but I like his chances on a slippery field where the stutter step is a deadly move. Ala Barry Sanders.

Go Koolaid

Breakout game?

100+ yards?

Um, No.

Not today.

Not ever.

Time to introduce the Law Firm !!:D

does any website publish splits of carries by quarter or half? I would expect to see him have 4-6 carries in the 1st half and then once everyone realizes it isn't working, they essentially bench him in the 2nd half. That has happened several games since his last good one (AFCCG SD 2007).

Time to introduce the Law Firm !!:D

amen

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes