PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this it for Mac?

Cool, he was good against the literal worst team in the sport and a team that had probably the longest and most significant injury report I can remember in all my years watching the NFL coming into that game. 10 TDs, 0 INTs against the two worst teams in football in the Jaguars and the Jets and the injury ravaged Titans and Browns, 12 TDs, 13 INTs against everyone else. That's how much those 4 games skew the stats.

He also outplayed Brady against the Bucs. He also brought the Pats from behind against the Cowboys and the defense let him down allowing 26 yards on a third and 27 on the Cowboys 40 with lik 13 seconds left in the game.

There is plenty to pile on Mac about without rewriting his rookie season. He had a good rookie season.

71NFEMfprDL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Your mom bought you those for your new career? Or are they hers?

He also outplayed Brady against the Bucs.
Mac played well for his 4th start of his NFL career and his first in the national spotlight. I wouldn’t really go any further than that if you want to talk about that game.

Wonder if the decision is coming from Kraft?

I think people are quick to blame Kraft for Belichick’s failings. Kraft doesn’t get involved in personnel decisions like that.

Mac played well for his 4th start of his NFL career and his first in the national spotlight. I wouldn’t really go any further than that if you want to talk up that game.

I didn’t say he played great. I said he outplayed Brady in that game.

I think people are quick to blame Kraft for Belichick’s failings. Kraft doesn’t get involved in personnel decisions like that.
Probly not. I’m sure Kraft is panicking on some level thou. There’s not a lot of mud left to throw on the inner walls of Gillette.

I didn’t say he played great. I said he outplayed Brady in that game.
Mac was also going against a backup secondary including Sherman who joined the team off the street only a few days earlier. Brady saw AB drop a TD pass and another drop to nullify a big gain IIRC. If those are catches that narrative isn’t a thing.

And Bill decided to try a low percentage FG in crunch time instead of asking his rookie QB who was “outplaying Brady” to make a 4th and 3. Tells you what Bill thought about how Mac was playing and the idea of challenging Brady.

Mac was also going against a backup secondary including Sherman who joined the team off the street only a few days earlier. Brady saw AB drop a TD pass and another drop to nullify a big gain IIRC. If those are catches that narrative isn’t a thing.

And Bill decided to try a low percentage FG in crunch time instead of asking his rookie QB who was “outplaying Brady” to make a 4th and 3. Tells you what Bill thought about how Mac was playing and the idea of challenging Brady.

Belichick not going on 4th and 3 is in Belichick. Not Mac. Fact is Belichick has become the most overly conservative head coach in the league and it is on both sides of the ball.

Probly not. I’m sure Kraft is panicking on some level thou. There’s not a lot of mud left to throw on the inner walls of Gillette.

This season is lost. Kraft isn’t going to create more drama when he already knows the season is over and so is the Belichick era. And he can see what we all see that Mac is broken.

It wasn’t the last eight games. Both Tennessee and Jacksonville were in the last eight games where he had over 120 passer ratings. It was six games at the end of the season, with one being a game where he threw three passes and another was the Jacksonville game where he was great. So you are talking four games where he was inconsistent.

And let’s look at those games. Yes, Mac threw a pick six in Miami, but he was good the rest of the game. In both Buffalo games, the defense fell apart and allowed the Bills to score on every drive in both games asking Mac to carry the team himself and being forced to score on every drive which he was not up to the task.

I'm glad we have at least one Patsfan willing to defend Mac from the beat down he's receiving here, in other forums, on X, the internet, the general media, all across the entire US. Both you and Orlovsky deserve a medal.

I'm glad we have at least one Patsfan willing to defend Mac from the beat down he's receiving here, in other forums, on X, the internet, the general media, all across the entire US. Both you and Orlovsky deserve a medal.

Stopping misinformation about Mac's rookie year isn't defending Mac. He is done. He should be benched. He should be cut or traded after the season and let him try to resurrect his career somewhere else.

But people now what to pretend all the good he did in his rookie year was a total mirage and in reality he was always the dumpster fire he has been this year, but we just didn't see it.

Belichick not going on 4th and 3 is in Belichick. Not Mac. Fact is Belichick has become the most overly conservative head coach in the league and it is on both sides of the ball.
But it probably does show what Bill's opinion really was about who was outplaying who.

He also outplayed Brady against the Bucs. He also brought the Pats from behind against the Cowboys and the defense let him down allowing 26 yards on a third and 27 on the Cowboys 40 with lik 13 seconds left in the game.

There is plenty to pile on Mac about without rewriting his rookie season. He had a good rookie season.
He didn't outplay Brady against the Bucs. He faced a team with a devastated secondary who played Richard Sherman off the street for the whole game because they had no DBs available and still lost, mostly due to the fact that the team didn't trust him to convert a 4th and 5 and opted to give Nick Folk a try at a career long kick in the rain. People box score scout too much, who cares what his completion percentage was that game, he faced an incredibly soft pass defense, threw the ball short all game and managed very few points. Brady made more throws and had two TDs dropped. And he barely threw the ball against Dallas. His defense allowed 22 points in regulation versus the Cowboys, or did the 4th quarter pick six somehow not happen? We're now touting 200 yards including a pick six games as great performances.

I'm not rewriting his rookie season, I said all of this at the time. I was excited over his rookie year as the lowest baseline of what he could be in the NFL, taken as Mac's absolute floor it was a major success. Now we're clamoring for it as a possible ceiling, and it's laughable because that level of performance isn't particularly close to being good enough. To say the Mac Jones you saw in those games was this great player is the very definition of rewriting history. We're acting as if he was CJ Stroud.

That pass AB dropped would have been a Brady vs Belichick rivalry definer. Epic throw in that situation…huge risk with down/distance and he dropped an elite level dime for would be game winner.

Reactions: sb1
But it probably does show what Bill's opinion really was about who was outplaying who.

Why would be weary of Mac Jones in that game? Mac carried the offense that game. He completed 77.5% of his passes with two TDs in a game where the Pats literally had no running game. I mean the Pats finished the game with -0.1 rushing yards for the entire game. Yes, NEGATIVE yards rushing. If Belichick was weary of going for it because of the offense, it was because they had no running game and he knew the Bucs' defense would be ready for a pass.

Looking back. Considering there was absolutely no running game in that game, Mac played great in that game.

Last edited:
He didn't outplay Brady against the Bucs. He faced a team with a devastated secondary who played Richard Sherman off the street for the whole game because they had no DBs available and still lost, mostly due to the fact that the team didn't trust him to convert a 4th and 5 and opted to give Nick Folk a try at a career long kick in the rain. People box score scout too much, who cares what his completion percentage was that game, he faced an incredibly soft pass defense, threw the ball short all game and managed very few points. Brady made more throws and had two TDs dropped. And he barely threw the ball against Dallas. His defense allowed 22 points in regulation versus the Cowboys, or did the 4th quarter pick six somehow not happen? We're now touting 200 yards including a pick six games as great performances.

I'm not rewriting his rookie season, I said all of this at the time. I was excited over his rookie year as the lowest baseline of what he could be in the NFL, taken as Mac's absolute floor it was a major success. Now we're clamoring for it as a possible ceiling, and it's laughable because that level of performance isn't particularly close to being good enough. To say the Mac Jones you saw in those games was this great player is the very definition of rewriting history. We're acting as if he was CJ Stroud.

Mac literally carried the offense in that game. Agholor was the Pats' leading rusher with 4 yards. Damien Harris ran four times for -4 yards. The Pats finished the game with negative yards rushing. The Bucs didn't have to play the run at all and could play the pass.

He definitely outplayed Brady. Brady completed 51.1% of his passes in that game. Brady might have had two TDs if not for dropped passes (he ended with zero), but Mac actually had two TD passes.

And yes, you are absolutely rewriting his rookie season. You are giving Brady credit for dropped passes, but not giving Mac credit for having to actually carry the offense on his own.

And for Dallas, he did pass for two TDs including the one that should have been the game winner if the defense didn't crap on themselves on 3rd and 27 at the end of the game.

Mac literally carried the offense in that game. Agholor was the Pats' leading rusher with 4 yards. Damien Harris ran four times for -4 yards. The Pats finished the game with negative yards rushing. The Bucs didn't have to play the run at all and could play the pass.

He definitely outplayed Brady. Brady completed 51.1% of his passes in that game.

And yes, you are absolutely rewriting his rookie season. You are giving Brady credit for dropped passes, but not giving Mac credit for having to actually carry the offense on his own.

And for Dallas, he did pass for two TDs including the one that should have been the game winner if the defense didn't crap on themselves on 3rd and 27 at the end of the game.
LiTeRaLLy RoB!

-17 points
-6.9 ypa
-4 sacks, 25 yards lost
-2/9 on 3rd down
-Zero confidence on gw drive

Amazing rookie performance

That one was correcting a self-inflicted mistake. Dak also nearly doubled Mac's yardage output that game.

Mac's best game was the Vikings game last season hands down. He was phenomenal. Unfortunately that's probably going to be the high point of his career.

Mac's best game was the Vikings game last season hands down. He was phenomenal. Unfortunately that's probably going to be the high point of his career
You talk about the game against one the worst defense in the league where he put a lot of stats in the first 3 quarters and went MIA in the 4th when it mattered? That game ?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back